It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rashaun Woods cut by Chargers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:29 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not saying we should sign him. Any player dumped twice in less than 4 months is not worth signing.

I just think it was interesting since he was taken 1 pick after Jenkins, and I thought he was the much better receiver among the pair. Shows how much I know. One of the 7 times I've ever been wrong in my life :wink:

Woods was traded to San Diego this off-season for another disappointing 1st round pick: CB Sammy Davis.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:14 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

WR seems to be one of those positions that is extremely hard to judge how NCAA guys will do in the NFL.

I was looking at an "analysis" I did of the 2000 WR class on the old Usenet newsgroups. The feeling at the time was that we might take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The 1st round picks that year were:

Peter Warrick
Plaxico Burress
Travis Taylor
Sylvester Morris
R. J. Soward

Of them only Burress has posted numbers that I consider even vaguely match up to first round status. Warrick was the "can't miss" guy in that draft in the WR group.

In that draft ( lower rounds ) were some decent WRs:

Laveranues Coles
Jerry Porter
Darrell Jackson

Yet, for some reason or another they didn't stand out in that draft to warrant 1st round potential.

If you look at the 2004 draft ( when we got Jenkins and Woods was selected ) only Fitzgerald and Clayton have put up really good numbers so far. Jenkins has potential to be a solid producer in my opinion, and I love his speed/size ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:28 pm 

I'm of the belief that unless you feel like a guy is going to definitely be your #1 receiver for years to come, you should not draft him in Round 1.

There have been 30 WRs taken in Round 1 since 2000, and of course 30 of them have not lived up to being No. 1s based on that standard.

I would say a handful of players have managed to do so in Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and Santana Moss. But the rest of the top WRs taken since that span have all been 2nd, 3rd, and later round picks such as Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Darrell Jackson, Coles, etc.

Then you have some borderline guys like Burress and Koren Robinson, who have had some good years, but neither has been a consistent and reliable threat. I would state that if those two guys could be consistent No. 1s this year, I would start to reverse my believe that that both were 1st round reaches.

You have a number of #1 guys that it may be too early to close the book on them like Lee Evans, Roy Williams, Mike Clayton, Mark Clayton, Jenkins, Roddy White, and Javon Walker, Braylon Edwards, etc. but in truth probably only half of those guys will wind up living up to their potential.

The truth is I thought Jenkins had #1 potential, but didn't have the drive or determination to work at it from what I saw in him in college. I think he was a reach in Round 1, and I still believe that even if he does turn out to be better than guys like Reggie Williams and Woods. But I also realize that it was highly doubtful Jenkins would have lasted past pick #35.

I think Roddy has the potential to live up to that billing, but as I've stated several times before, I don't think Roddy is going to be a true No. 1 in the sense that guys like Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, and Fitzgerald are, but a No. 1 to this team more in value than production. I think he's going to be much closer to Terance Mathis in that regard, in that he has a lot of value to this team, but on a league-wide basis he is not considered to be in the upper echelon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:59 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

He's a chronic injury...pass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Listening to local radio over the weekend, it looks like he failed a physical with the Broncos. They didn't get into specifics, but I would guess he is headed for Canada.

Profile E-mail