It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McKay on the "Herd" @ 8:30am PST
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:07 pm 

Pretty much whats in the title. McKay is going to be on Colin Cowherd's show this morning around 8:30am Pacific. Sounds like they're going to get on the Vick issue as well as whether or not the team is deep enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Got a recap Dirty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:46 pm 

Sorry about that one. As it turns out they ended up talking about rookie contracts, injury cap relief, and handing over the team to Mora for the season. Nothing really interesting or relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:27 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm guessing no mention of a possible new signing to replace Finn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 pm 

Nope, as a matter of fact they didn't even touch on that issue. The biggest talk was about the Falcons moving their practices to early morning and late night to avoid the intense heat. They continued about how other teams have started doing similar things in the league.

I think it is a fantastic idea to cut down on practice time in camps. Of course if you do it too much then players will be sloppy and get injured because of it. But if you cut back just a little bit I have to imagine it could reduce injuries and fatigue as the season goes on. I'd also like to see the NFL cut out 2 pre-season games. When I say cut I mean cut not shift them to regular season games or adding a playoff round but just cut them.

The veterans and top rookies only need a couple quarters of pre-season live action to really gear up for the season. Most of pre-season games are used to figure out who gets the 3rd or 4th spot on a roster and who gets signed onto the practice squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree, there should be no more than 3 preseason games. I think limiting it to only 2 puts the young guys and new faces at a several handicap when it comes to making the team. So I would say cut out at least one. Most teams use the 1st two games to really get a look at the rookies because the first cutdown day isn't until after Week 2. Then the final 2 is to get the veterans ready.

But for the life of me, I never understood why they forced the teams that were in the American Bowl to play 5 games. Going to Japan or wherever should be count for 2 games.

But I'm not sure this will ever happen. Because having a 4-game preseason schedule benefits some teams. Particularly teams that are going to be playing with an inexperienced QB. The more reps you can get that guy in the summer, the better for those teams.

So I think even if it came up to the competition committee next year, it would probably be voted down. So much of training camp is geared around the 4-game thing, that I doubt owners would be that willing to change it. I think they just accept that for a few teams seasons are made or broken in the summer each season.

Profile E-mail