It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons consider Porter, Lelie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... lrail.html

Flowery Branch — The Falcons are exploring trade possibilities for a pair of disgruntled but productive veteran wide receivers: Oakland's Jerry Porter and Denver's Ashley Lelie.

Atlanta's personnel department has been doing due diligence on both players but probably will wait at least a week to decide whether to pursue a trade.

The Falcons are trying to figure out how to replace No. 3 wide receiver Brian Finneran, who suffered a season-ending knee injury at practice Sunday. They want to take an extended look at players already in house — they worked out cornerback DeAngelo Hall at wide receiver Wednesday — before exploring outside interests.

"We're still working through a lot of scenarios that could involve players from another team, players out on the street and players that are on our team," coach Jim Mora said.

Porter, a seven-year veteran who has been at odds with new coach Art Shell, has caught 140 passes for 1,940 yards the past two seasons. Lelie, mainly a deep threat, caught 42 passes for 770 yards last season. He has not reported to Denver's training camp with hopes of being dealt.

Whether either of those players would settle for being the No. 3 receiver could be another issue, but Mora said any player the Falcons bring in — if they do bring a player in — would not replace or even compete with Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, the team's starting wide receivers.

The agent for 17-year veteran free agent Ricky Proehl said Tuesday that he has spoken with the Falcons about Proehl's services, but the team wanted to wait at least a week before making a decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Whether either of those players would settle for being the No. 3 receiver could be another issue, but Mora said any player the Falcons bring in — if they do bring a player in — would not replace or even compete with Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, the team's starting wide receivers.

I think this statement sums everything up. Neither of them will come here for this reason.

Although, IMO, Porter could come in and be our "#1" reciever on day 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:18 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I always thought Porter was pretty good too. It would be ironic if we tarded Duck for Lelie as that was who everyone thought we would go after when we drafted TJ. Proehl has been playing 17 years???!!! Man...unthinkable. That guy has messed us up on more than one occasion. I don't know if that is a move for us but talk about a vet presence. Finn will be missed. Despite his spot on the depth chart IMHO he has been our best WR for about five years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

backnblack wrote:
Proehl has been playing 17 years???!!! Man...unthinkable. That guy has messed us up on more than one occasion.

Seriously, we're talking about basically 8 years of having to deal with Proehl making key grabs on 3rd downs. Cuz he was with the Rams back before the realignment and then we thought we had gotten him out of our hair, so he decides to come to Carolina afterwards. For his career, Proehl has 33 catches-411 yards-and 4 TDs vs. the Falcons.

I like Porter, but I would not give up anything close to what the Raiders are looking for for him to be a backup here. Porter is a good player, but both he and Lelie are more vertical threats than guys that are ideal in the West Coast. Proehl is a solid intermediate possession guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

At this point, and considering we still run 60% of the time, I don't wanna bring anyone in with a big ego, who might potentially stunt the growth of Rowdy or Jenk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:16 pm 

I could care less if Atlanta delt TJ for Lelie. Lelie would be a fine #3 receiver but the question is would he accept such a role? I think part of the reason he wants out of Denver is becuase he thinks that he is under utilized.

I don't want Porter simply because he has Moss's personality with skills more on par with a Lavernous Coles or Santana Moss. He's a good receiver but the guy was walking around with a belt like Ted DiBiase the "Million Dollar Man" did from the old days of WWF. The guy is cracking and he's doing it hardcore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If we want someone who Vick would be comfortable with, why not go for Andre Davis in Buffalo. I know he is not a possession guy, but he shouldn't be a threat to displace Roddy or Jenkins and I would rather have him than a headcase like Lelie or Porter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Andre Davis in Buffalo

I love this guy, but the problem would be that he's exactly like Roddy is. A burner, deep threat guy mostly. He wouldn't fit the slot role well, but I bet he would still have a good rapport with Vick, that was his go to guy at VT.

I think Proehl was the most interesting guy mentioned thus far, that would not only fit the slot/#3 role, but locker room too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:07 pm 
Starter
Starter

Quote:
If we want someone who Vick would be comfortable with, why not go for Andre Davis in Buffalo.

I currently live about 5 minutes from the Bills training camp, and can tell you that they have no plans to deal Andre Davis and actually appear to have big plans fro him. They broght in Steve Fairchild who was the Rams QB to be their OC and they have been lining him up as a starter next to Lee Evans. They think Davis is perfect for their new style of offense.

And besides, making a trade for anyone would be stupid now when Rickey Prohel is available, and we won't have to give up anything. I love Finnerean and will miss him to death this year, but honestly who is more clutch than Prohel (at least against ATL)? We NEED this Falcon killer in a Falcon uniform!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

widetrak21 wrote:
At this point, and considering we still run 60% of the time, I don't wanna bring anyone in with a big ego, who might potentially stunt the growth of Rowdy or Jenk.

here here! muchly agreed upon there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:33 pm 

The Falcons have had numerous opportunities to get Davis over the years and never once have they've gone after him. And there's probably a good reason for that...Davis has crappy hands. He's no longer a guy that should be on our radar to do anything more than be a No. 4 on this roster.

Lelie is a burner and could be a good player in another offense, but he would not be here in Atlanta. As a starter, he'd be lucky to catch more than 35 passes.

Both Porter & Lelie are like Peerless Price. Good receivers in what they do best: stretch the field, but as soon as you ask them to do other things like be the guy that is going to be the go-to guy on 3rd & 8 and catch 60-70 balls a year, then you will not get that player.

Speed has never been something the Falcons have lacked over recent years like it seemed to be circa 2001. It has been size and a steady pair of hands.

Although both Porter & Lelie are better players than Pathon, it isn't worth getting them because neither is going to be significantly more effective as a starter considering what we'd have to give up to get them.

Proehl right now seems to be the best option. But it seems evident the coaching staff is giving guys like Pathon, Jennings, Magner, Bergeron, etc. more time to impress them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:15 am 
Starter
Starter

I have a question. Why is it that Cole Magner is so popular on Falcon's message boards?

I have actually read posts on other message boards that Finneran's injury is nothing to worry about because of Magner. I only saw Magner in the game vs. Jacksonville last summer, but he looked awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
They think Davis is perfect for their new style of offense.

- Honestly I've questioned buffalo a lot this offseason, as I wonder how effective Levy can be at his age. I mean running a pro franchise is a lot of work. There draft was questioned a lot too. So what do you mean new offense? McGahee's new plan? QB situation? Just a lot of questions if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:28 am 
Starter
Starter

Hey I was just saying what Levy and the Bills are saying on the news about their new offense. I think it is junk, and their OL has to be by far the worst in the NFL. The even have signed Aaron Gibson.

By the way, I know this is off the topic, but Peerless Price said the other day that he never wanted to be traded. I almost fell out of the couch when I heard him say that.

The one thing I will say about the Bills is that I think their defense is underrated. Anytime you have Spikes, who is a complete freak, you should be alright. Plus, they have a good secondary which will get even better when Whitner signs. And I think that Youboty from Ohio State could be a steal.

But Davis probably will suck and poor Lee Evans with no Moulds and no OB, will most likely regree through no fault of his own. I honestly thought Craig Nall would be their starter, and the offesne might be actually able to score 14 to 17 points a game, but with his injury it doesn't look good for that offense.

But as far as Levy goes, Tom Donahoe set Buffalo's franchise back so many years by hiring Greg Williams and then Mularkey (even worse!). When he could have hired John Fox, Marvin Lewis (instead of Williams), or Cremmel or Charlie Weis. Marv Levy, no matter how old, can not be worse than Donahoe.

Post subject: Magner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I really have no clue why Cole Magner is so popular on Falcons boards, other than the fact that we all had a love affair with the kid after the first pre-season game last year. We loved Magner because he was the only player in the game (Price, White [not roddy], Jenks, Finn, everyone!) that could catch a freakin pass. At that time Price and White were are starting WRs, and everyone knew they couldn't catch a pass (which was eventually proved during the season), so Magner kind of jumped out at everyone because he had one good game against 4th stingers. The next week he caught nothing and muffed a punt. Soon after he was cut, so there really shouldn't be any love for this kid, other than the fact that we might be feeling for Finn and trying to sign a kid who was like him when he first came in the league.

MF1

J. Mora JR.