It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Probably can say no to Proehl
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

From Mora's PC today, it would seem that he likes Adam Jennings a lot. I don't see the Falcons signing another receiver anytime soon. Pathon missed some time with an injury, but Mora seems to think he'll be back soon. The team probably won't make a move until after the first preseason game. But as long as Pathon is decent and Jennings impresses the coaches enough, I doubt we see someone signed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:29 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't know that I'd take that from it as much as that Jennings is probably #4...

Post subject: Ricky
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pathon is NOT a replacement for Finn. Ricky would be a much better fit as a #3 taking Finn's place. Finn was in there because he got first downs (and could block for a scrambling Vick), and I don't think Pathon fills the safety valve roll. Jennings could be a #4 and Pathon might be out.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think it is somewhat comforting that one of our late-round WR picks is good enough to keep. Seems like we had a revolving door during the Reeves era.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:26 pm 

I think Jennings has the potential to stick here because of his ST ability. Reeves drafted 11 WRs during his time here, and only Quentin McCord, Jammi German, and Tim Dwight managed to stick for longer than a year or so. Because they were decent on ST.

I hated the Jennings pick at first, and still I don't expect it to be a favorite pick for me anytime soon, but it's not so bad. When I ran those stats (now lost to the abyss) about WRs and where they stack on the depth chart, I discovered that a player taken after Round 4, has about an 11% chance of becoming a No. 1, 2, or 3 receiver. For a 6th rounder specifically, it was a 3% chance.

So in that view it makes sense that if you're drafting WRs on the 2nd day, that you should factor in ST potential a lot higher than offensive potential, because only about 28% of the WRs currently in this league (that are in the Top 3 on their depth chart and thus likely to contribute offensively) were not 1st day draft selections.

I guess another beef with the Jennings pick is that he looks so similar to so many other WRs we've drafted in the Reeves era like Dunbar, McCord, Menendez, Sutherland, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Not A Good Move!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:08 am 

I think the Falcon's need someone reliable and Proehl has done it for yrs. I hope Jennings is good as advertised but it is a risk not having an established receiver who hasn't proven anything. I would certainly give a position to Jennings especially if Rossum doesn't play well but again he better prove it.

Wish there were some bigger targets like Finn available but oh well.This should be the yr Vick breaks out in his passing game.

Profile E-mail