It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eugene Robinson on All-Time Turd Team
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:44 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Per Pro Football Talk. Love them or hate them, it is a very entertaining site. Notable ex-Falcons also on the list include Andre Rison and Jeff George.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/All-TimeAll-Turd.htm

I'm not as big a fan of the site as I used to be as I think Mike Florio (the creator and lone contributor) has gotten to infatuated with his own celebrity over the past year so, but besides his obvious disdain for Vick and Blank, I enjoy everything else the site has to offer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:47 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He might have mentioned Jim Brown for throwing a woman out of a second story window of his apartment...but after OJ that just seems downright old world and quaint.

Post subject: Robinson
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know most people in Atlanta hate Robinson for the Super Bowl, but I think he was the reason we got there in the first place.

Example One: Patriots Vs Packers Super Bowl
Reggie White comes off the field sucking wind and needs oxygen. Robinson goes to him and Reggie says, my legs are done, I have nothing left. Robinson gives Reggie a quote of scripture and White goes in the next series and gets two consecutive sacks.

Example Two: 98 Falcons
Robinson is known to his team as 'the Prophet', not only for his faith, but also for his ability to know where the offense is going with the ball.

Example Three: 98 NFC Championship.
Overtime; Randy Moss breaks down the sideline for a trademark Cunningham bomb. Robinson somehow catches up to him as the ball arrives and deflects it. Vikings are forced to punt, and Atlanta goes on to win the game.

Had it not been for Robinson, we wouldn't have been in the Super Bowl. He made the D better all year, helped us to that record, and got us to the SB where we could take the beating we took by the Broncos.

Robinson was a fall guy for a lackluster game by the Dirty Birds, bad play calling by Reeves, and Andersons inability to run against the Broncos D. And don't bring up the Elway pass that Robinson got beat on for the long score to open the game for the Broncos. That was a blown assignment by the Corners, and Robinson was just trying to make up for the mistake, when he wasn't the one who got beat.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:50 pm 

I would say that Robinson was probably the best safety that ever played for the Falcons, although I'm sure others would counter with guys like Scott Case and Brian Jordan. And it's probably a shame that he will always be known for that one negative incident even though he is one of the all-time greats to suit up in a Falcons uniform.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think you may have over stated what Eugene did for the team, under stated what his arrest caused to happen the team and sold Jamal a little short for the SB but, in spite of all this, I basically agree with you. It is just a shame he has this on his record so to speak. He was the savy vet who had been there and done that when we got him and he mentored the young players and was the guy the media went to to sound the team. He messed us up royally that one time but other than that he was pretty terrific. Jamal actually had a decent game in the sB as best as I recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:05 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget Robinson was arrested the night before the Super Bowl for hiring a prostitute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 am 
Starter
Starter

sure, robinson screwed us alittle but you guys are forgetting.. we played the denver broncos...ohh by the way, they had *arguably* the best qb ever to play the position in John Elway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We saw another great one twice a year for too many seasons in Joe Montana.

It was reported secondary members saying they had stayed up all night that evening as well as a few offensive players. That game was pretty close until Elway starting picking the Falcons,...secondary apart.