It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Story on Peerless
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He seems less critical of the Falcons in this article. Sounds more like a victim of circumstance rather than the team's management sabotaging him, like he's sounded like in past interviews/articles. I highlighted the notable part.
Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News wrote:
Bills' Price expects to be Peerless again

04:52 PM CDT on Sunday, August 6, 2006

Peerless Price couldn't wait to get out of Buffalo in 2003. Three years later, he couldn't wait to get back.

The Cowboys cut Price midway through the 2005 season – the second time he had been released by a team during the calendar year. So he was free to sign with the team of his choice last off-season.

Houston called. So did playoff contenders New England and Tampa Bay. But Price opted to re-sign with Buffalo despite his bitter divorce from the Bills.

"Those are probably better cities with more to do," said Price of his other suitors. "But I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for an opportunity to play and make plays. Be around some people who believe in me and know what I bring to the table.

"These people here have welcomed me back with open arms and are giving me an opportunity to succeed."

Price didn't think the Falcons or Cowboys gave him that opportunity.

Flash back to the winter of 2003. Price was coming off a career year with the Bills, catching 94 passes for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns. He became a free agent, but the Bills slapped a franchise tag on him.

Price told the Bills he wouldn't re-sign. He wanted to be the lead receiver and knew that would never happen in Buffalo, where Eric Moulds was the resident Pro Bowler. So the Bills traded Price to Atlanta for a first-round draft pick.

The Falcons gave Price lead-receiver money, bestowing a seven-year, $42 million contract on him that included a $10 million signing bonus.

Mike Vick got hurt that first year, but Price still had 64 receptions. With Vick back in 2004, the Falcons stopped throwing to their wideouts. Price caught only 45 passes and was released by the Falcons that off-season.

"The offense didn't fit me and my talents," Price said. "We became a running team. I had almost 50 catches. But when you're getting paid that type of money and your opportunities are limited. ... I wouldn't keep a receiver around who was making that much money, either.

"If you're not going to throw the ball 30 times and give this guy 9-10 opportunities to catch it, why keep him around?"

Price intended to sign with Miami in 2005 until he received a phone call from his former Buffalo quarterback, Drew Bledsoe, who was now in Dallas.

"Drew said, 'C'mon in, we need you. Once Bill [Parcells] sees your talent, he's got to find somewhere to play you,' " Price said. "But it wasn't like that. It was like I was a rookie all over again with [Parcells]. I had to prove myself and fight for everything."

Parcells cut Price in November after he caught a career-low six passes. Now Price is back in Buffalo running with the first-team offense, trying to resurrect his career.

"I've come back down to earth a little bit," Price conceded. "Things have started working out for me here."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Price behaved with class during his last camp here, if everyone recalls. It was a tough period for him for sure. I hope things work out for him back in Buffalo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
"Those are probably better cities with more to do," said Price of his other suitors. "But I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for an opportunity to play and make plays.

- Cause we already made him filthy rich...

Quote:
"Drew said, 'C'mon in, we need you. Once Bill [Parcells] sees your talent, he's got to find somewhere to play you,' " Price said. "But it wasn't like that. It was like I was a rookie all over again with [Parcells]. I had to prove myself and fight for everything."

- Gasp, imagine that, actually trying to prove yourself...what a novel concept.

He was a reach at the time when we needed one so badly, too bad we ended up getting burned big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:30 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
He was a reach at the time when we needed one so badly, too bad we ended up getting burned big time.

Yep, it wasn't a bad risk, just one that didn't work out for us. Kinda like drafting Will Overstreet. An example of a bad risk was drafting Nathan Davis. You're not going to amount to much in this league if you aren't prepared and willing to take a few risks.

I mean after all, almost all experts said that when the Steelers jumped up 10 spots to draft Troy Polamalu, they were crazy. Looks like it's working out pretty well for them. Now on the other hand, they jumped up 7 spots to get Santonio Holmes this past year. Not to say that Holmes is already a bust, but things aren't going according to plan so far.

Profile E-mail