All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dayne and Tatum Bell demoted
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

from denverbroncos.com
Quote:
CUTLER, MIKE BELL MOVE UP ...

Monday morning meant some massive changes as the Broncos reconvened following a day off.

Mike Bell became the first-team running back, working his way ahead of incumbents Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne, who rank second and third on the depth chart, respectively. Jay Cutler, meanwhile, worked his way up to the second-team slot at quarterback, with Bradlee Van Pelt dropping to No. 3.

Head Coach Mike Shanahan and assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger said the Cutler move was designed in part to help him get more work against the first team; as the third-stringer, he works against the No. 3 defense in "move-the-ball" work at the close of each practice. Now, he'll lead the No. 2 offense against the first-team defense of Al Wilson, Champ Bailey, John Lynch and others.

Mike Bell, meanwhile, was judged to have outplayed his more experienced foes. Dayne admitted after practice Monday that he wouldn't have been surprised if Bell had moved up, and indeed, the news shared with the team at a Sunday night meeting proved that to be the case.

More to come as I comb through quotes from Dayne, Cutler, Van Pelt, Mike Bell, Shanahan and Heimerdinger regarding the day's changes.

*** Posted at 11:22 a.m. MDT ***

An UFA is starting?? I lived in Tucson, so I love it when a Zona player does well, but come on. How bad does this mean Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne suck. Maybe they will offer us something for Duckett.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:32 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'd be more willing to bet it's being used more as a message to Tatum Bell and Dayne. I'd be surprised at this point if Mike Bell is the starter on opening day. Remember the Broncos have yet to play a preseason game yet, so all this tells me is that Mike Bell is working harder in practice than the other guys.

But this is a position I'm definitely going to be monitoring for my fantasy football team's sake.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

My money would be on it being a ploy from Shannahan to get the other guys to step up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I see your point. However, Shanahan has been known to start late round guys or UFAs in the past, see Terrell Davis or Mike Anderson. I would not be surprised to see Bell starting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well thats the reason the ploy works, cause given his history with RB's, you don't know whether or not he might actually do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 pm 

Well there's a difference now than in those previous situations. Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary both got shots because of Davis' injuries.

Davis didn't really "steal" the job, because there was really no one to steal it from. I mean the Broncos leading returning RB from the previous year was John Elway with like 235 yards rushing. They basically had no RBs when Shanahan came in 1995 and although Davis was a 6th round pick, he was still basically drafted to be the starting RB. Tatum Bell was just shy of 1000 yards last year, so to take the job away from him would be a pretty big deal.

If Mike Bell opens the season as a starter, it would be shocking even given the Broncos history.

Profile E-mail