It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TIVO/VCR Alert
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Falcons training camp will be shown on the NFL Network tonight at 8!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:22 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It was on at 6 as well, and I saw most of it. I missed about 10 minutes in the middle because of a phone call.

It was good to see. Nothing the hosts (Brian Baldinger & Paul Burmeister) said was interesting. But for us folk that are far from Flowery Branch, it was nice to see a bit of the Falcons practice. And I thought from what I saw, the interview with Rich McKay was very informative.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the only thing i got from it was it saved me a day in August.

i was thinking about making the 4 hour drive if i could con someone to go with me. after watching the show last night that's out of my system.

i've got tickets @ Carolina, ARI, and CLE.

that should be enough falcons for me this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The McKay piece was good, I'm more impressed with him every time he talks. He certainly seems to understand our run stopping woes from last year, and seems to think the safeties would be the biggest help in this area. Said we may or may not bring in a vet receiver, but we needed to see what we had first.

The Vick piece was good too, I don't think I've ever heard him that articulate in an interview. All he used to do after every sentence was say, "You know what I'm sayin'". Really does seem like he's grown up to some degree this offseason.

Other notes, they had an interview with DeLo about receiver. From the comments, this isn't a gimmic or spot duty. The jist was that in games against run heavy teams, he could play more offense. He said 10-15 snaps a game. Pass heavy teams, he would play less reciever. If you listened to him, he isn't even gonna try it unless he thinks he's gonna excel. He seems to think once he can learn the playbook, that he can excel. Even if he doesn't get any balls his way, his presence should still help the offense to some degree. Get him the ball in space and who knows.

Jerious Norwood seems very, very quick on his feet. The whole time it looked like he could've went 0-60 in one step. His speed should really help our offense if he can cut out the fumbling. McKay said they've been surprised by how well he catches the football too.

McKay mentioned how JDub's been getting acclimated to what the Falcons want him to do, versus what he used to have to do in college. McKay seemed to think he'd have a pretty quick impact, esp. interecepting the ball, I guess cause he's 6'2.

Final thing off the top of my head, Vick did seems very crisp. All the balls we're on frozen ropes, plus he had good footwork. Now if the season will hurry up and get here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 am 
Superstar
Superstar

One more thing I remembered during the DeLo interview. He had told WR coach Stewart this offseason, "We're either gonna break these young receivers, or we're gonna turn them into Pro Bowlers." He seemed to think they're progressing very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm 

Gah, why are we eternally stuck with Baldi? Don't the Falcon fans deserve more? He's been attached to the Falcons on both FOX and the NFL network it's like a bad plague.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:30 pm 

Baldinger does suck. I think we must resign ourselves to seeing a lot of him this year. He seems to be Fox's "go-to" guy on NFC South games, unless Aikman & Buck are covering it. I'm curious to see who does the opening game. It looks like the best matchup of Week 1 besides perhaps Sunday night (NYG vs. IND) and Thursday night (MIA vs. PIT).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

widetrak21 wrote:
The McKay piece was good, I'm more impressed with him every time he talks. He certainly seems to understand our run stopping woes from last year, and seems to think the safeties would be the biggest help in this area. Said we may or may not bring in a vet receiver, but we needed to see what we had first.

The Vick piece was good too, I don't think I've ever heard him that articulate in an interview. All he used to do after every sentence was say, "You know what I'm sayin'". Really does seem like he's grown up to some degree this offseason.

Other notes, they had an interview with DeLo about receiver. From the comments, this isn't a gimmic or spot duty. The jist was that in games against run heavy teams, he could play more offense. He said 10-15 snaps a game. Pass heavy teams, he would play less reciever. If you listened to him, he isn't even gonna try it unless he thinks he's gonna excel. He seems to think once he can learn the playbook, that he can excel. Even if he doesn't get any balls his way, his presence should still help the offense to some degree. Get him the ball in space and who knows.

Jerious Norwood seems very, very quick on his feet. The whole time it looked like he could've went 0-60 in one step. His speed should really help our offense if he can cut out the fumbling. McKay said they've been surprised by how well he catches the football too.

McKay mentioned how JDub's been getting acclimated to what the Falcons want him to do, versus what he used to have to do in college. McKay seemed to think he'd have a pretty quick impact, esp. interecepting the ball, I guess cause he's 6'2.

Final thing off the top of my head, Vick did seems very crisp. All the balls we're on frozen ropes, plus he had good footwork. Now if the season will hurry up and get here.

funny how i got a different perspective.

i wasn't impressed with Vick.

he showed us a glimpse of what limits him at times as a QB. he went through the motions in the interview until the interviewer brought up "Mike Vick going back to being Mike Vick." Vick's eyes lit up, he got a big grin on his face and then proceeded with that referring to himself in the 3rd person jibberish.

I came away impressed with D Hall. that guy has it together. i believe the talk about putting him on offense is real. he could be a game breaker for us on both sides of the ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 pm 

I still don't think it's going to amount to much, referring to Hall's use on offense.

I think the only reason it looks like now Hall might actually get quite a bit of work on offense is because the team is still unsure what exactly they have in Pathon and Jennings. Pathon's been hurt these past few days, and Jennings hasn't suited up in a game.

If Jennings has something like 3 or 4 catches this Friday, I'm betting you can nip this 10-15 snaps thing in the bud.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
I still don't think it's going to amount to much, referring to Hall's use on offense.

I think the only reason it looks like now Hall might actually get quite a bit of work on offense is because the team is still unsure what exactly they have in Pathon and Jennings. Pathon's been hurt these past few days, and Jennings hasn't suited up in a game.

If Jennings has something like 3 or 4 catches this Friday, I'm betting you can nip this 10-15 snaps thing in the bud.

if Hall lines up 5 times a game at flanker he'll make a difference if we throw it his way once every other game.

we could run a draw ideally with him on the outside. safeties have to respect his speed. if nothing else he'll serve as a major distraction to the defense if we even threaten to throw it his way.

why be scared of him more than a regular WR? his speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:28 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Is it Friday yet???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
funny how i got a different perspective.

I know what you mean, cause he did light up once running the ball was brought up. I think a lot of that was him not being able to do it much last year with the mcl and nick nack injuries. I think everyone will very quickly remember how fast he really is come week 1. I wouldn't be surprised at all for Carolina to be surpised at that based on how last years games went.

I was thinking about the interview, in the context of his football career. He was so bad at interviews in college it was ridiculous. I just liked the fact that he didn't need to mull the answers over in his head, like he had actually thought about the scope of things this offseason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I saw an interview with the new NFL commissioner last night on Total Access. He said "uh" after EVERY sentence.

What's up with that??!??