It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sam Baker Injured 2014 thread.........
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yup carted off in the 2nd quarter with a right leg injury...... So I'm guessing we move Mathews to LT and move in who knows at right tackle. God Baker sucks, what a huge waste of money, easily TD's biggest gaff.

Post subject: Re: Sam Baker Injured 2014 thread.........
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:36 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is what happens when you give bad players a lot of money. You almost always immediately regret it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:39 pm 

On a positive note our future Left Tackle, Jake Matthews, can now take his place on the line.

Of course, now we have no one to play RT.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:56 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

it's being reported as a torn patella tendon, and he's done for the year. I imagine we'll hear conclusively on Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess the fact that we now have a couple weeks to find a replacement prior to the season starting is a positive. :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Now that the worst contract by TD is done for the year, what do you do? Would you move Matthews over to LT or leave him at RT? If Jake is left at RT, then can the other guys be anything more than a turnstile at LT?

As for Baker, he is probably done in Atl. There are three options as I see it. First, they could dump him next year and take the full cap hit of $6.6 mill. Second, they could June 1st him and split cap hit over '15 and '16. Third, they could offer to turn his '15 base into minimum salary with the rest turned into playing time incentive. Personally, I would go the third route.

I must say I wasn't on board with Jake as the 1st pick, but it sure looks like it may turn out to be one of TDs best picks. Where would the Falcons be without Jake? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Imagine where we'd be if we had traded the farm for Clowney.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Clowney did look awfully good yesterday.......... With that said we are still one tackle short of having a full offensive line :roll: I'm glad we did what we did in this years draft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:17 pm 

samedi wrote:
it's being reported as a torn patella tendon, and he's done for the year. I imagine we'll hear conclusively on Monday.

The Falcons already released that it was the Patella Tendon and he is done for the year on their Facebook timeline.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:24 pm 

Unless a quality vet gets axed for no real reason (I'm thinking a certain ex-Falcon) I don't think Atlanta goes out and signs someone else as there isn't much out there to begin with.

Baker, however, is done with Atlanta and will go on IR then get released whenever it makes the most sense to the cap. There is absolutely no reason to pay the guy big money when he has a 35-40% chance of seeing the field for significant reps after this injury. Looks like Atlanta will once again be in the market for an offensive tackle next year. At least we can find a RT in the 2nd-4th rounds of the NFL Draft and don't need to burn another 1st rounder on that this coming season. Atlanta needs to get a pass rusher next year.

As far as Matthews is concerned... I'm a little torn on moving him now since he spent all of camp and half of the pre-season at RT. He's already a rook and making him switch to LT will be tough a long with the learning curve. That being said Matthews is our LT of the future and you might as well break him in now.

I'm a bit more convinced that until Atlanta gets a pass rush and cohesion on the offensive line we are looking at a 7-9 to 9-7 year. I'm not really thinking playoffs this year maybe next year but with so much upheaval on the lines and a weakened LB core after losing Spoon for the year this year will be more about developing the younger talent and developing chemistry. If Atlanta can add some depth a RB, dramatically improve the pass rush, and upgrade TE next year then we can be talking about contention again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:19 pm 

DaveWaz wrote:
Clowney did look awfully good yesterday.......... With that said we are still one tackle short of having a full offensive line :roll: I'm glad we did what we did in this years draft.

Clowney is gonna look awfully good for the next 7-10 years. That was really never a question. It was whether the team making another "farm" trade for him was worthwhile. I think even if Jake winds up being just an OK pro, the answer is obviously no. Clowney wouldn't make up for a year of having Lamar Holmes & Ryan Schraeder starting for us.

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Unless a quality vet gets axed for no real reason (I'm thinking a certain ex-Falcon) I don't think Atlanta goes out and signs someone else as there isn't much out there to begin with.

You mean, the Falcons are gonna stand pat on an obvious weakness? That never happens!

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/11/teams- ... rk-giants/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:
MMMD 3: Falcons lineman tears other patellar tendon

Last season, offensive tackle Sam Baker tore his left patellar tendon, which resulted in surgery and his being placed on injured reserve (IR). On Saturday, Baker tore his right patellar tendon and will suffer the same fate of surgery and IR.

Injuring both sides is more common than one thinks. In fact, I am aware of three instances (Chicago wide receiver Wendell Davis in 1993, Cleveland cornerback Greg Baxter in 2006 and Minnesota wide receiver Greg Childs in 2012) where a player tore both patella tendons on the same play. None of these three returned to play in a NFL game.

I am not saying that Baker’s career is over, as he did not rupture both patella tendons at the same time, but in sequential years. There are some theoretical structural and anatomic reasons for bilateral injury. I am not insinuating anything regarding any player mentioned here, but steroids have also been linked to bilateral tendon injuries as well.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mon ... -9813.html

Based on this, it looks like Baker may have a long road ahead if he ever wants to play another game. Also, if Baker was found to be taking a PED, then would the team be able to recoup part of the signing bonus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As far as I'm concerned Baker only play maybe above average his rookie year....Now 6 or 7 years later I can't understand the Falcons thinking he will ever find that play for one year..... If he's not out for the season, he's hurt and still playing which makes him really bad.

T.D. has never seemed to understand that Baker is not good player because of what I've mentioned, he's always hurt one way or the other.

Really were the chances of Baker player all 16 games 30% ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:58 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:

The Atlanta Falcons offensive line was dealt a blow when left tackle Sam Baker ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee. Baker, who signed a six-year, $41.1 million contract in 2013 (worth a maximum of $45 million through salary escalators) is out for the season after missing 12 games in 2013 with a ruptured patellar tendon in his left knee.

The Falcons replaced Baker by moving 2014 sixth overall pick Jake Matthews over from right tackle. Baker, who makes $18.25 million in the first two years of his deal, will likely be asked to take a pay cut to remain with the Falcons in 2015. Releasing him without post-June 1 treatment will add $1.9 million to Atlanta’s 2015 salary cap. Baker has unguaranteed $4.5 million, $5.25 million, $6.5 million and $6.6 million base salaries in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, the last four years of his deal. A significant portion of Baker’s 2015 salary could be converted into a per game 46-man active roster bonus or not likely be to earned (NLTBE) playtime incentives.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The ... edown.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I've never been a huge advocate of Baker, but I often found myself defending him, saying "wait til he gets healthy", "he's above average when not hurt" and so on.

But today is a new day and Baker needs to go. Hopefully Blank can work a deal with him in private for a free lifetime supply of 2x4's, allen wrenches, and toilet seats. In return, Baker retires citing numerous injuries. If that deal cannot be struck, Baker needs to be cut, traded, practice squaded or whatever. Time to move forward.