It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "some people say " "Can the Falcons go 11-5"?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://cinesport.ajc.com/ajc-atlanta-sp ... s-go-11-5/

:roll:

Post subject: Re: "some people say " "Can the Falcons go 11-5"?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm a big fan of Prisco, but he is really stretching here. 8 wins would be satisfying for me.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It's possible, but unlikely... Our offense would need to go crazy in the passing game with Ryan throwing for a 5000 yards and we would need some young guys on defense to surprise us. I'm also thinking we are a 500 team, give or take a game. With that said I hope I'm wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
Starter
Starter

I'm feeling a bit bearish on the birds this year. I think it's more likely we go 5-11. Wish I felt better about this team, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe if we had Johnny Manziel we go 11-5. :rofl: Sorry to piss on everyone's cornflakes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

LOL Johnny Manziel , I'll tell you one thing, I bet we have a better record than the Cleveland Browns!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

riddle me this:

IF the Falcons either go 8-8 OR have a losing season, is that enough to justify moving on from either Smitty or TD?

Caveat: what if the reason we go .500 or less is due to Ryan going down with injury? Does the 'body or work' for the last 6 seasons save them? If we lose Julio to injury again, doesn't that sign TD's pink slip?

If Ryan is upright and we have another losing season, my opinion is Blank has to make a move.

thoughts? :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... lcons.html

Last year: 4-12, tied for last in NFC South

Acquisitions: Devin Hester, Jake Matthews, Tyson Jackson, Bear Pascoe

Departures: Tony Gonzalez, Asante Samuel, Thomas DeCoud, Jeremy Trueblood

Already critical injury: Sean Weatherspoon

Vegas 2014 win total over/under: 8.5 wins

Verdict: UNDER

----

Five things that have been kind of watchable during Falcons “Hard Knocks”:

– Ricardo Allen’s swollen testicle story time.

– Tyler Starr’s kid making fun of his dad on the field.

– Mike Smith wearing mandals in the office.

– Mike Smith trying to swear.

– Mike Smith chiding players for fighting then telling them to fight more but calling it “being physical”.

-----

Fan forecast by Steven Godfrey:

In six seasons under head coach Mike Smith and G.M. Thomas Dimitroff, the Falcons salvaged Roddy White, groomed Matt Ryan, landed Tony Gonzalez in his prime and sold the house for Julio Jones. That wins you 5 Super Bowls in a 7-on-7 league, but concerns in niche areas like “pass protection” and “run blocking” and “the whole goddamn defense” have somewhat muted the success of this franchise

That and the bore-you-to-tears play calling. No self-respecting Atlanta fan wants to admit this, but the fantasy of Sean Payton calling plays for Atlanta’s offensive weapons is a tawdry, forbidden fantasy we allow ourselves now and again. Dirk Koetter replaced Mike Mularkey as offensive coordinator to much acclaim, but that’s only because he calls screen passes. Oh my! /blushes

To compensate for last year’s 4-12 implosion, Atlanta hired another G.M. ostensibly to just evaluate line talent, and then spent their first round pick on tackle Jake Matthews. He’s now plugged in as a Week 1 starter on the left side because of the freshly re-injured Sam Baker, premiere false start machine and a former first round pick from USC. He’s the Matt Lienart of first round USC lineman busts, but that’s a comparison that makes you feel like you’re being too hard on Matt Lienart, which in turn is another reason to hate Baker.

Dimitroff is almost prescient in his ability to create the worst ROI possible on veteran free agent signings. Remember Ray Edwards? Dunta Robinson? Of course you don’t, because you’re not a Falcons fan. The current flavor is Steven Jackson, who spent 2013 nursing a hamstring and notching a career-low 3.5 yards a carry behind the aforementioned putrid line. He’s already injured heading into ‘14, so expect rookie Devonta Freeman to permanently win the starting job no later than Week 5.

Defensively this team is finally committed to playing a 3-4 with actual 3-4 personnel, except with a lot of rookies and no safeties. The Falcons don’t really have safeties and didn’t sign any top free agent safeties. Just… didn’t. The best linebacker on the roster is Sean Weatherspoon, and he’s out for the year. Osi Umenyiora is still the best chance this team has to pressure passers like Drew Brees, but he’s being saved exclusively as a third down option due to age. He’s the Steven Jackson of the defense!

These are all the bad things. The one good thing – the best thing – is that Ryan can throw the ball very well to the best pair of receivers in the league. Expect White to move into the slot this season and replace the retired Gonzalez. The most interesting storyline of training camp should be the 3 and 4 WR spots, but ceaseless major injuries across the roster feel like we’re just prepping for another 2013 season.

The Falcons will always have a chance at the playoffs if Ryan, Jones and White are all healthy and have time, but without some kind of revelation on defense they’ll never win the title needed to substantiate this franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

"Dimitroff is almost prescient in his ability to create the worst ROI possible on veteran free agent signings."

This as well as their unwillingness to cut bait with failed draft choices are the gigantic "Oh you married your mother" in the room. Bringing in Pioli with his KC draftees compounds the issue, it doesn't solve it.

As to whether this is hubris or the growing pains of the NFL's new off-season timetable (soft-tissue injury, soft-tissue injury, ad nauseum) is up in the air, but this does seem to have bitten ATL squarely on the behind.

Much as I would love to see it, I don't think ATL is ready to move Roddy to the slot: HD still makes too much money to be the second slot guy, and there's no trusted #2 on the outside. Reedy might be this, but it still puts the intensely overpaid HD on the bench.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Besides about 4 good seasons, the Falcons are back to playing their 40+
years of below average football to terrible football.

This team still has no depth and no defensive starters you could call above average. I'm watching their preseason and for the "lousy teams"
trying to move up, the way they play matters.

Coach Smith doesn't have the players to win, but its probably him that will be fired and hired 10 minutes later!!

Very little improvement on the O- line, I think Ryan will have a little more time to throw, but we'll have no consistent running game.

Going 11-5 is a joke.

Going 6-10 is closer, we don't have enough talent around to even get the
team looking like an NFL team!! If we had some safeties or defensive linemen, or Offensive linemen it would be different!!

We'll see how Roddy and Julio do. I expect Julio to last about 5 games
and the curtain will close.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I gotta sorta agree with Cyril. This team has at best 8-8 talent (even when we were good, we just had 9-7 talent). Anything better than that is major-league overachieving. But again, I don't think 6-10 would really be underachieving for how this team has been built. After all, they are relying on Harry Douglas and a 36-year old Steven Jackson to be MAJOR contributors on offense this year.

Mike Smith is a fine coach, if you want to be boring offensively and defensively. The problem is the team that can win (and by win, I mean be a legit SB contender like SEA, SF, NO, and hell even GB and CHI are now) with his coaching style is probably at least 2-3 years away from being built, and that's 2-3 years of really killin' it in the offseason. And forking over a truckload of $$$ to guys like Paul Soliai & Tyson Jackson, drafting change of pace RBs like they are feature backs, ignoring TE and pass rushers, and investing heavily in 2-3 year projects like Hageman and Southward isn't killin' it.

Like I said 3 years ago, if the status quo as far as the team's offseason go doesn't change, then this team is gonna be stuck in neutral. Unfortunately, when we went to the NFCCG a year after I made those statements, I got duped into thinking that Smith was a good enough coach to sustain that overachieving year after year. Boy, was I wrong!!

If Smitty is worth a damn, he'll get this team to 8-8. Beyond that?...we shall see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm 

What your really saying is we are 2-3 years away from surrendering to the fact that a rebuild is eminent while our franchise QB approaches the backside of an above-average career.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

What I'm/we're saying is that unless there's consistent success against winning teams this year, most of the FO/CS should be thrown out on day 1 of the offseason.

I think we can safely say that no one expects this team to be very good. If they defy expectations, then we have to chalk it up to the fact that we, the observers, don't see the whole picture. If they don't the FO/CS clearly doesn't and won't.

Hopefully, they'll retain effective coaches, but others--no matter how popular he is on HBO, Cox's DL looks like crap--have to go. The crying shame, though, is that Blank has likely set this year up as a make/break (short extensions), but he allowed long-term contracts to guys that really aren't the future (Jackson and Soliai). Turning around a team with little talent and several cap-wasting contracts is hard to do.

Last edited by samedi on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 pm 

My comment was directed more at Pudge and was somewhat loaded with sarcasm and some reality. I should have quoted him. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
My comment was directed more at Pudge and was somewhat loaded with sarcasm and some reality. I should have quoted him. ;)

I hopped on the opportunity to throw in what I think we're all hoping. I think most of us feel pretty correct in our negative assessment and don't want to linger, even if we voice our skepticism for any kind of change. Misery loves company.

I really hope it all ends up being sarcasm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:14 am 

Yep, dirty the fear is that while Smith is our best coach ever (although you can argue Reeves was better since he did get to 4 Super Bowls), this team will hover around respectability like the post-2004 Eagles of Andy Reid or Norv's Chargers but never really be in a position where they were in 2012, and even then that was major league overachieving. That team should have only won 10 games and probably been a 3 or 4 seed, but got some very lucky breaks that year.

Such a scenario will essentially waste a good portion of Matt RYan's prime, which he currently is in. For a quality QB like Ryan, the years between 28-32 are really a QB's prime years. Of course Ryan is 29.

Then on top of that, if the Falcons do decide to fire Smith, I don't think anybody here fully trusts Blank to hire the right guy afterwards, and thus there could be another 2-3 years of "Pete Carroll" compared to how after Parcells jetted NE for the Jets, Robert Kraft picked Carroll to be the Patriots head coach for 3 years, and the Pats were mediocre before they got Belichick in 2000. And of course, finding our "Belichick" is gonna be a tall order.

So you potentially have a situation where the next 3-5 years will be full of Falcon mediocrity and by the end of that period, people will be ready to run Matt Ryan out of town because he can't win the "big games" when in fact it's because the GM and coaches have done a poor job building the right team around him.

Ryan is now entering his 4th season since he's become a Top 10 QB, and only now are the Falcons putting a respectable O-line around him. And they've never put a competent defense around him. What is the number, we've averaged giving up 31 points per game in the playoffs over Ryan's career. And we've played predominantly a dink/dunk offense that is afraid to go down the field. There's just no way that Ryan is gonna be able to overcome that and live up to the expectations of his contract.

I'd compare it to Carson Palmer in Cincinnati. Palmer was not the greatest thing ever in Cincy, but the Bengals current turnaround can be attributed heavily to the stability that Palmer brought to that organization for 7-8 years. Same with Ryan here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, all the losing and poor decision making drove Palmer nuts and forced him to want to leave for a team that could win. I doubt we ever see that with Ryan, but that will be because the fanbase will drive him out before he wants to leave Atlanta. Then he'll sign with his hometown Eagles or be the guy after Tom BRady in NE and pull a Jim PLunkett and win or something, and we'll be stuck holding the bag...

These are the dark places I go to in the recesses of my mind as a Falcon fan. The fact that folks like Cyril haven't just completely quit on this team says something to their mental fortitude.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:

Then on top of that, if the Falcons do decide to fire Smith, I don't think anybody here fully trusts Blank to hire the right guy afterwards, and thus there could be another 2-3 years of "Pete Carroll" compared to how after Parcells jetted NE for the Jets, Robert Kraft picked Carroll to be the Patriots head coach for 3 years, and the Pats were mediocre before they got Belichick in 2000. And of course, finding our "Belichick" is gonna be a tall order..

In Blank's defense, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Lets look at his history.

He fired Reeves, which was early on, and it could be argued that was a mistake. But he hired Mora Jr, and despite our feelings about the man, he wasn't a 'Pete Caroll' type. We did win a playoff game with him as HC. It's his fault for coddling, but he got screwed just as much as Blank by the dog-killer.

That was when he was 'hands on'.

Then, he attempted to do the right thing by bringing in Quitrino. And hindsight being what it is, we all 'expected' him to come in and polish that MV7 turd. It also could be argued he 'might' have succeeded had not said turd got sent to the clink.

Then in his third hire, we got Smitty, and he learned to keep his 'hands off'. And he has revived this organization and we have had some of our most successful years in franchise history.

What this tells me is that, like most businesspeople, Blank has learned from his 'mistakes'. And I am not his biggest fan right now, but I wouldn't be too fearful Blank wouldn't hire the right guy next time around.

How about this scenario: Blank hires Gruden ( if this season tanks)? We ALL know he want's back in the game. Hell, he started his own 'former coaches club'. That's telling. If he hired Gruden, I do believe he is one of about 3 guys who I think could take Ryan in his prime and take him to that next level. I'm thinking Dungy could do this as well.

Just my two cents :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:08 pm 

If we're playing hypotheticals, my expectations are that if Blank fires Smitty, he won't fire TD. Dimitroff will hire the next coach, not Blank, and it's not going to be one of those power-hungry retreads like Gruden, DUngy, or Cowher because they won't want to share power. If Pioli is still around, and he probably will be, then they'll hire one of their cronies from NE or KC like Charlie Weis or Josh McDaniels something.

Was Mora a bad hire? No. But was he the right coach? No. That's my point. It's not whether Blank is smart enough to avoid a bad hire. Regardless of how Smitty's tenure ends up, he was a great hire. He gave this team what it needed: stability. But that doesn't mean he's the right coach to give this team what it needs next: a championship.

Winning Super Bowls is exceedingly difficult, it's why only 19 out of 32 teams have ever done it, and why only 14 have done so over the past 25 years. YOu gotta have the right combo of coach, GM, quarterback and team to do so. And if any one of those is lacking, then the other 2 or 3 have to be strong enough to make up for it. And that's really hard to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 pm 

And on a rare occasion the blind squirrel finds the nut. See: Giants, NY.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
If we're playing hypotheticals, my expectations are that if Blank fires Smitty, he won't fire TD. Dimitroff will hire the next coach, not Blank, and it's not going to be one of those power-hungry retreads like Gruden, DUngy, or Cowher because they won't want to share power. If Pioli is still around, and he probably will be, then they'll hire one of their cronies from NE or KC like Charlie Weis or Josh McDaniels something

Agree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
These are the dark places I go to in the recesses of my mind as a Falcon fan. The fact that folks like Cyril haven't just completely quit on this team says something to their mental fortitude.

"Thanks"

However You guys are wrong about rebuilding. We do that once in 40 years, and you guys have just lived through Coach Smith and his good fortune. Unfortunately firing your coach and starting again means nothing if your Gm. can't find players. Its Thomas D. that has screwed us,
but we all got caught up in his accolades; Thomas gets so little from a draft its close to funny; and even less from free agency. I of course say that in hindsight because I thought he had a gift-he doesn't!!

Blank is more confused than anything. He buys the Falcons and gets hit by a sexual harassment charge , that he pays off. Mora Quits, Petrino quits, his only or first wife got a divorce, and now he's put way too much money in a stadium that will be empty, since in two years we will be in the 'real great depression two!! (plus their will be no fans there)

Yes I'm saying we'll we'll have a 30 year run with 6 new head coaches and about 36 wins, but listen, listen,
Quote:
When your are a true Falcon Fan the older you get, football is not as important, and the Falcons actually lets your life be better. The Falcons are your losers,
but the rest of your life is great, because The Falcons are all we know to judge our lives by.

Now if you didn't understand that, I'll give you my shrinks name because he's done wonders for me. (:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

In Blank's defense, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Lets look at his history.

He fired Reeves, which was early on, and it could be argued that was a mistake.

It was the biggest mistake Blank ever made. Reeves actually quit when Blank told him he's be fired "next week" but we'll never know what Reeves could do for Vick.

Reeves wouldn't have taken any s*** from hit, he'd know what a Qb should know, I can't say he'd have kept him from dog fighting, but he wouldn't have let Vick quit the team during the season,

When you think of John Elway many just think that Reeves and Elway couldn't get along; but you don't invite people to your Hall Of fame Ceremony unless
you really know deep down, that Reeves had helped your career in a big way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 am 

I do enjoy the revisionist history when it comes to Reeves.

People wrote:
Reeves wouldn't have taken any s*** from Vick...

Oh, you mean like he was taking in 2003 when Vick refused to come back until he was fully healthy? And Reeves called him out in the press, and yet it was still like another month before Vick actually came back?

People wrote:
Reeves would have known how to use Vick better. Did you see his numbers in 2002?!"

Oh, you mean when Reeves scaled back the offense to its most basic because Vick couldn't even handle the terminology of calling a play? Yeah, Reeves would have been content with that style of offense? One read, tuck it and run? Yeah, Reeves woudl have figured out a way to take Vick to the next level with that very basic backyard offense? Puh-leez.

Look, I don't have any problem if people say Reeves was the best coach this team ever had. I don't really have a problem if people think Blank was mistaken for firing him. But the reasons why people justify that opinion often are silly.

The "truth" about Reeves is that in his last 12 years coaching in the NFL, he led a team to the playoffs just 3 times. He had just 4 winning seasons in that span. The "truth" that people probably deny is that Reeves didn't have what it took to survive in the modern NFL.

He got out just as the league was morphing into a passing league. It was those years between 2002-2005 where that transformation was being completed. The NFL had passed Reeves by, contrary to popular opinion. People think what this team did in '98 was anything but a fluke. Just look at the 3 years Reeves had prior to '98 and the 3 years after. His teams went 34-62. That's an average of 5.6 wins a season.

Over his final 12 seasons, Reeves won 88.5 games or 7.4 wins per year. Here are some comparison points:

Tony Dungy = 13 seasons, 139 wins, 10.7 per year
Bill Cowher = 15 seasons, 149.5 wins, 10.0 per year
Andy Reid = 15 seasons, 141.5 wins, 9.4 per year
John Fonx = 12 seasons, 107 wins, 8.9 per year
Dennis Green = 13 seasons, 113 wins, 8.7 per year
Jon Gruden = 11 seasons, 95 wins, 8.6 per year
Marvin Lewis = 11 seasons, 90.5 wins, 8.2 per year
Jack Del Rio = 9 seasons, 68 wins, 7.6 per year
Norv Turner = 15 seasons, 114.5 wins, 7.6 per year
Dave Wannstedt = 11 seasons, 82 wins, 7.5 per year
Ted Marchibroda = 12 seasons, 87.5 wins, 7.3 per year
Wade Phillips = 12 seasons, 82 wins, 6.8 per year

Again, is Reeves the best coach the Falcons ever had? It's debatable, but it's a worthwhile argument. But the "mythos" that surrounds Reeves and his departure is kind of a joke. I think people remember the 2nd half of '97, obviously '98, and that 8-game unbeaten streak in '02, and think that was regular under Reeves. That is the equivalent of 2 seasons where his Falcon teams were good. Reeves was here for 7 years!!

Over the course of the 5 other seasons, Reeves won a total of 22 games. If your teams suck for 70% of the time you're the head coach, I don't see how people can get too down on Arthur Blank for firing Reeves.

But I agree with your wider point Cyril, the issue is the GM. Good personnel decisions breed long-term success. Reeves was a horrific GM, and even if you could say that Reeves was a brilliant coach, his personnel moves were so bad that it made him look like an average coach.

And while I agree with anyone that says that in the grand scheme of things, Dimitroff has "failed" this team more than Mike Smith. Frankly, that was what I was saying about this team 3 years ago, but many like you Cyril said I was nitpicking and it didn't matter because the team was winning. We're less than 2 years removed Cyril from you singing the praises of TD as the literal Vegan Jesus.

Apparently cutting Todd McClure & Tyson Clabo was enough to completely ruin that faith in him. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
And while I agree with anyone that says that in the grand scheme of things, Dimitroff has "failed" this team more than Mike Smith. Frankly, that was what I was saying about this team 3 years ago, but many like you Cyril said I was nitpicking and it didn't matter because the team was winning. We're less than 2 years removed Cyril from you singing the praises of TD as the literal Vegan Jesus.

Pudge, your changing things a bit!! I did think Thomas D. got us off to a great start with his picks and getting our good running back!!

2 years is a long time. I never said Thomas D. was near the best of the NFL. I said he was the best Gm. we've ever had, so you slanting the picture
too much. Pudge when you go back years, you really slant things to what
makes you look good, that's fine with me, but don't go overboard on what I SAID YEARS AGO!! Thanks.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:49 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am not sure I totally agree that the league passed Reeves by. I think he could have adapted, if he had relinqueshed his GM duties and the Falcons had brought in a good GM. It isn't like there weren't any other older coaches that didn't adapt.

I think you also have to give Reeves credit for bringing in Vick and trying something different. Unfortunately, Vick believed he knew better than everyone else and basically became coach killer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pet ... -plays-out

New Orleans Saints at Atlanta Falcons –Falcons 23, Saints 21
Atlanta Falcons at Cincinnati Bengals – Bengals 30, Falcons 24
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons – Falcons 30, Bucs 9
Atlanta Falcons at Minnesota Vikings – Falcons 30, Vikings 23
Atlanta Falcons at New York Giants – Falcons 51, Giants 48
Chicago Bears at Atlanta Falcons – Falcons 27, Bears 24
Atlanta Falcons at Baltimore Ravens – Ravens 27, Falcons 24
Detroit Lions at Atlanta Falcons (London) – Falcons 44, Lions 31