Post subject: D-lo let the dogs out!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

WSBTV.com wrote:
Pit Bulls Chew Through Fence, Attack Man

POSTED: 12:09 pm EDT August 9, 2006
UPDATED: 6:26 pm EDT August 9, 2006

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons defensive back DeAngelo Hall will not be cited after his pit bulls attacked a man while walking his dog. That attack happened Monday night along Stoney Field Place in Lawrenceville, after Hall left the dogs with his brother.

Three pit bulls literally chewed through their fence to escape – you can see teeth marks in the wood.

Tyrone Hall didn’t want to talk on camera about what happened – but did say he was keeping the dogs for his brother – Atlanta Falcons defensive back DeAngelo Hall.

Tyrone just built a $4,000 fence to keep the dogs in – but they got out anyway and viciously attacked a man who lives in the neighborhood – seriously injuring him and one of his dogs as they walked down the street.

Some neighbors are talking about what happened Monday night and admit they’re worried about the thought of pit bulls roaming through their normally quiet streets.

“What if they had attacked my child,” asked neighbor Larry Gilbert.

The victim was treated and released. All three dogs were captured and reportedly turned back over to DeAngelo Hall. His brother Tyrone was given 6 citations for the attack and says he feels very badly for the victim.

Neighbors like Larry Gilbert wonders if these kinds of dogs should be banned from the neighborhood.

Animal control officers say DeAngelo Hall is not at fault, because he was not in control of the dogs when the attack happened.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Somebody needs a visit from thte Dog Whisperer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

FalconWease wrote:

Somebody needs a visit from a .22LR between the eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:40 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

RdHdBirdFan wrote:
FalconWease wrote:

Somebody needs a visit from a .22LR between the eyes.

I don't think shooting D-Hall is nessesary.......maybe he should have Poodles instead.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Bulls
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Those dogs shouldn 't be privately owned. Their genetics were designed to kill things, period. Why do people like them so much? As for the 22LR... one of those rounds would go through a human skull, do you really think it would go through one of those dog's skulls? Maybe "in the eye" would be a better choice of words.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Bulls
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:06 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Those dogs shouldn 't be privately owned. Their genetics were designed to kill things, period. Why do people like them so much? As for the 22LR... one of those rounds would go through a human skull, do you really think it would go through one of those dog's skulls? Maybe "in the eye" would be a better choice of words.

MF1

Actually "Dogs of war" were bred that way. I know plenty of Rottweilers, Dobermans and pit bulls who are safe and not aggressive at all. When you enter the human element, mostly the bad element then the dogs react accordingly.

Last edited by BirdBrain on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the guy was teasing or provoking the dogs. If so, he deserved what he got. If not, the dogs have been mistreated or taught to do it, which is the owner's fault. I had a couple of rottweilers that were the best dogs you care to own and would only attack if I were threatened. There is nothing wrong with owning these dogs, but the owner must realize that they have a responsibility to treat them properly and there are consequences if and when they don't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

happhuber wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the guy was teasing or provoking the dogs. If so, he deserved what he got. If not, the dogs have been mistreated or taught to do it, which is the owner's fault. I had a couple of rottweilers that were the best dogs you care to own and would only attack if I were threatened. There is nothing wrong with owning these dogs, but the owner must realize that they have a responsibility to treat them properly and there are consequences if and when they don't.

Amen...huber!!!! Dogs are much better partners than humans are.... :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:00 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I've had pits all my life and I'm always the first one to say it's the owner not the breed...

Pits kill more people every year simply because a ton of people that have no business at all owning a dog buy them....

and on a side note...Poodles attack more people every year than any other breed of dog, they just don't do as much damage as a Rottie, Pit, Doberman or any other big breed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I've got a lab and a great dane. that being said,
after the dogs attacked someone they should have been put down. no questions asked.

they chewed through a fence? those dogs should be history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:47 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

happhuber wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the guy was teasing or provoking the dogs. If so, he deserved what he got.

yes, teasing of a dog demands getting their face chewed off, especially if they are children. but really, does anyone know someone who would tease 3 full grown pitbulls? that's like pointing a loaded gun at your face.

when i visited my friend in new zealand, i read the paper about a guy who's child was attacked by a pit bull. the guy went and cut the dogs throat. the owner of the dog later told the paper, "fair enough."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I have personally seen a group of adults tease my 2 rottweilers from the other side of the fence, one of which weighs close to 180 lbs. Yes, it is stupid, but people do it. I don't like hearing about kids that get attacked by dogs, but sometimes it happens due to their actions. I have 3 children myself, so I would never say a kid deserves to be attacked, but this was an adult. My comment was that he deserved it if he had been tormenting or teasing the dogs, otherwise, the owner(D-LO) is responsible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:44 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Steve-O wrote:

and on a side note...Poodles attack more people every year than any other breed of dog, they just don't do as much damage as a Rottie, Pit, Doberman or any other big breed...

I know (hope) you were kidding Steve-O. According to the Humane society Poodles were number 23 on the list. (1978-1999)..........There has never been a recorded death from a Poodle. They do yap alot and can be aggressive in a pant-leg sort of way, but they usually don't "attack people".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the world is full of stupid people Happ. however in the end it is your job to be sure your dogs are properly contained/restrained.

it's an open and shut case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:35 pm 

Well nothing but a bullet can contain/restrained a riled up pitt bull.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Compare the headlines.

"Man attacked by Poodle"

"Man attacked by Pitbull"

Thousands of dogs attack people....all breeds......retriever....beagle....german shepard....mutts. But the only ones that make the headlines are the pits. Read the first headline again....would you read that article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I was kinda kidding about poodles, but not entirely...more like a slight exaggeration...

My entire family is full of dog lovers. Both of my sisters are groomers, I have an aunt that runs an obedience school and we all own multiple dogs (except for me at the moment, I have to wait until I get a new house....I'm getting a Tibetan Mastiff then!!)

anyway just from what I've seen standard poodles are the dogs that are most likely to bite. A standard poodle isn't a small dog either. I've never come across one that was well behaved or submissive...They are all so damn bitchy

Pudge you are right when you say nothing short of a bullet will stop a pit once it enters "kill mode" but if one gets in that mindset the fault lies on the owner, not the dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:36 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

BirdBrain wrote:
I don't think shooting D-Hall is nessesary......

:-) The dogs, boys, the dogs. We need DLo right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:48 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

[quote="BirdBrain"] According to the Humane society Poodles were number 23 on the list.

Something makes me want to say that at one time Pekingnese were more apt to bite kids... because the kids got in their faces more than they do with big dogs.

And...

Two boys in Boston were playing basketball when a Pit Bull attacked one of them. Thinking quickly, the other boy ripped a board off a nearby fence, wedged it into the dog's collar and twisted it, breaking the dog's neck.

A newspaper reporter from the Boston Herald witnessed the incident and rushed over to interview the boy.

The reporter began entering data into his laptop, beginning with the headline: "Brave Young Celtics Fan Saves Friend From Jaws Of Vicious Animal."

"But I'm not a Celtics fan, "the little hero interjected. "Sorry, replied the reporter. "But since we're in Boston, I just assumed you were."

Hitting the delete key, the reporter began "John Kerry Fan rescues Friend From Horrific Dog Attack."

"But I'm not a Kerry fan either," the boy responds.

The reporter says, "I assumed everybody in this state was either for the Celtics or Kerry or Kennedy."

"What team or person do you like? "

"I'm a Houston Rockets fan and I really like George W. Bush" the boy says.

Hitting the delete key, the reporter begins again, "Arrogant Little Conservative Brat Kills Beloved Family Pet."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:53 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

that was funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:37 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

on the "millenium" new years, i got bit in the face by a Cocker Spaniel...it took 36 stitches to sew the corner of my mouth back together. i grew up with 2 German Shepherds, that never play bit me, but that Cocker was a mean dog. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:27 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

All those who said blame the owner or the person getting bitten and not the dog are 100% correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Capologist wrote:
All those who said blame the owner or the person getting bitten and not the dog are 100% correct.

law enforcement can't punish the dog.

however you RECTIFY the situation by putting the dogs down. i can't believe D-Lo/his brother got a pass in this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:31 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

GSUTeke wrote:
Capologist wrote:

law enforcement can't punish the dog.

however you RECTIFY the situation by putting the dogs down. i can't believe D-Lo/his brother got a pass in this situation.

most likely the guy who got bit, has received a big fat check signed by deangelo hall. or maybe it was cash. either way, he probably got paid off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have not practiced law in Georgia for years, but there is a doctrine called the "first bite rule." Basically, it means that dog owners get a pass on the dog's first bite (under the theorey that they do not know if the dogs are dangerous).

Also, dogs are generally not whacked after the first bite - why?usually there is no telling why they did it. That is to protect the dog owners from mischief from people who tease the animals until they get bit.

Pit Bulls are not inherently evil. It is stupid owners. You can make a lab as mean as the stereotyped pit with poor upbringing. Dogs are pack animals - there must be a strong Alpha (human) in any pack situation to set boundries. The problem with Pits is that they are much better at their bad behavior that an ill treated Chihuahua.

Would I go near an unattended Pit? no. Becasue they are bad dogs? No because they are favored dogs of morons. I am more afraid of what the idiot owner did to it rather than the inherent nature of it being a Pit. The resultis the same to me, but I get there in a different way than the general public.

W