Ok review...

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Ok review...

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:48 am

Jenkins did make a couple catches which is nice to see, but Roddy didn't make any...

I think the real bright part of that game was Norwood. The kid is like lightining, and his feet are spectacular. Did you see his cuts, his jukes, and the way he didn't go down when people touched his legs and feet. He make Duckett look like the clumsy ox he is. We have to get this kid involved in the screen game. Give him some space and he WILL make magic happen.

MF1
"I am certainly not afraid to have Brian Finneran on the field. Has he ever not made plays? He just makes plays. He is one of those guys that just makes plays. He is dependable."

J. Mora JR.

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:36 pm

If Norwood keeps this play up all preseason and recovers from fumblitis, then IMO he will be our #2 RB this year.

RdHdBirdFan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RdHdBirdFan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:33 pm

vickisthebest wrote:If Norwood keeps this play up all preseason and recovers from fumblitis, then IMO he will be our #2 RB this year.

Not sure what's going on with the fumbles. He only fumbled once in his time at MSU. I think it will get better.

Besides, I still say anyone who singlehandedly kills the Florida Gators is okay in my book.

Birdman
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Birdman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Weiner played like crap and should be cut.

That's all I can say about the game.
There's no question about that!

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:55 pm

What was really classic is how the announcing crew managed to compare Norwood to BOTH Marcus Allen and O.J. Simpson. Stretching the pre-season play just a little bit. But it is a nice thought.
Fear the BEARD!

widetrak21
Superstar
Superstar

Postby widetrak21 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:42 pm

I actually thought Duckett ran with more authority than at probably any other point I've seen him. Having said that, Jerious "Lightining in a Bottle" Norwood give us a new dimension. We've seen Duckett's dimension, or lack thereof, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Good is the Worst Enemy of Great

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Norwood did look good and looks to have a bright future with this team, but I'm not calling on him to replace Duckett anytime soon. Has anybody else noticed just how much improvement Duckett has made in pass protection over the past 2 years?
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

SmorgasBorgnine
Superstar
Superstar

Postby SmorgasBorgnine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Good point Pudge. I don't think Norwood is ready, but boy, he has a huge amount of potential. I don't think moving Duckett is an option, if you believe we have a realistic shot at the Super Bowl this year. It would set us back in my opinion.

widetrak21
Superstar
Superstar

Postby widetrak21 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Use all three, unless you're gonna trade Duckett for a big DT.

Main back - Dunn
Short yardage - Duckett
Big play/future Dunn replacement - Norwood
Good is the Worst Enemy of Great

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

I think more or less Norwood is the "change of pace" back. he has a different style then Dunn and isn't the tough "between the tackles" runner from what I saw. Norwood mainly makes the swing, toss, draw, and flats passing plays dangerous. Dunn on the other hand can go into a pile of 300+ pound lineman and pop out on the otherside for 30 yards.
Fear the BEARD!

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:31 pm

dirtybirdnw wrote:I think more or less Norwood is the "change of pace" back. he has a different style then Dunn and isn't the tough "between the tackles" runner from what I saw. Norwood mainly makes the swing, toss, draw, and flats passing plays dangerous. Dunn on the other hand can go into a pile of 300+ pound lineman and pop out on the otherside for 30 yards.

I think Norwood can manage as more than a 3rd down back. He showed a willingness to put his head down and get 3-4 tough yards. He didn't exaclty have any holes opened up for him to run the ball last Friday...

we'll see though, I'll have to see him in a couple of regular season games before we can really say either way...

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:44 pm

I think by the end of the season Norwood is going to be a good back. I think if the Falcons lost Dunn and Duckett to injury, Norwood would do more than an acceptable job of filling in.

But for now, he really is just a third down back. Although he showed a little bit out of the backfield, this weekend's game clearly showed that he's best in the open field. He's not quite there like Dunn is in that he can take a normal slant play and turn it into a 20-yard gain.

He's still too unknown a commodity at this point before I think we can start thinking about him seriously filling in as #2. What about his blitz pickup? Does he have the vision like Dunn to turn a 3-yard gain into a 25-yarder?

I'm not ready to ship Duckett away just yet. I agree with happ, losing Duckett would take a significant element from this roster. We didn't finished tied for 2nd last year in 3rd down conversion for no reason.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”