It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Did I Learn Friday?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:53 pm 

On Offense:

- Vick still seems to be looking run first, pass second. He is constantly hopping around getting ready to jet. I did like what I saw on the sidelines. Vick was very active and really seemed fairly close with his receivers gotta like that.

- The running game looks like it could be even better this year with Jerious Norwood being added into the situation. It seemed like when they went to Norwood in the flats he blew up for 10+ yards every time. Even Duckett looked better.

- It's kinda hard to really tell how much our receivers have developed. There was a lot of passes that weren't even close to receivers.

- Omiyale didn't impress me at all. He was about as effective as Bob Whitfield was right before Atlanta let him go.

- Fells might just be good enough to unseat Eric Beverly as the #2 tight end.

- Randall looked good albeit a touch erratic.

- Shockley seems have the same wild accuracy that Vick has but appears to be just as good an athelete as anyone on this team.

Defense:

- I think I can sum it all up in one simple statement: Absolutely NOTHING has changed! The Falcons still cannot take down the ball handler on the first hit. They still cannot stop the run no matter who is on the field. Zone defense continues to free up opposing receivers to drill into our defense for 3 to 5 yard patterns.

- On the positive side this defense is perfectly capable of finding the quarterback 10 times a night. Of course when the runningback is averaging 7 yards per carry they have no reason to let the QB touch the ball for more then 1 second to hand it off.

- I do like T.J. Jackson. He really showed some good ability to get up field. Nobody really impressed me on the D-Line though outside of our regular starters.

My question of the week:

Is there such a thing as leg fatigue? It would appear that Koenen could handle all three jobs this year. Heck after the first half Atlanta only used Yelk on kickoffs. I guess they figure Koenen can do FG and Punt duties while they get someone keep to handle kickoff duties.

- There is no limit for what this offense can do. It would seem Vick's passing short comings and penalities are the only real limiting factors.

Defense

Post subject: Didn't see the whole game!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:03 pm 

I didn't see the whole game but there are alot of concerns and has anything really changed.

A. Vick, I hope this idea of Vick being Vick isn't the same ole smoke and mirrors we have heard before. Everyone saying saying Vick's looks better is developing yet the same mentality run first then pass when there is a receiver wide open. We have been through this before and the run first vick isn't going to win any championships.Sure it seperates Vick from other Qbs but what does it take for Vick to wise up and management to realize you have got to pass the ball.Defenses are to good to run on 75% of the time in the playoffs. The MVP atlanta line can't block the behemoth quality top defenses and open holes.We have seen that and it is getting old.
B.Any receivers going to step up and be the targets vick needs this year? The first no one stepped up.
C.The RUN DEFENSE looks bad! What have the coaches and players been working on this off seasn.More smoke and mirrors by mora saying things will get better but they don't.

The running game with Norwood looks better and he will give the falcon's a dimension we haven't seen.How can a defense end up rushing the QB and there are no linebackers or def backs to support the run when the line gets burned like last night with dump off screens and draws? Whose responsibility is it? Dontrell's defense better tighten up fast or he's on the hot seat.The kicking game may have found an answer with Koenen.He was impressive.Lets hope some things have an answer next week.This smoke and mirros is getting old.EXCUSES EXCUSES don't win games!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ouch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ouch Scout... If even you are saying stuff like that, you might chip away at my belief that we always have a shot a being SB contenders.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:19 pm 
Starter
Starter

That its the first preseason game and we had 5 (6 if you wanna count hartwell) new starters in on defense and the d needs time to gel...i expect us to be looking very well by game 3 or 4 of preseason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:43 pm 

Thet thing that concerns me is that every single NT looked ineffective against the run. Now it is the first pre-season game so I don't want to take too much from it. But it doesn't look positive as of right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:42 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Thet thing that concerns me is that every single NT looked ineffective against the run. Now it is the first pre-season game so I don't want to take too much from it. But it doesn't look positive as of right now.

Jackson didn't look bad at all..he had good push into the backfield most times. it is WAY too early to judge the team at all right now. This is pre-season and it really isn't much of an indicator as our #1 defense didn't play that much. Brooking was hurt really early as well. Hartwell is slowly getting his legs back, and most vets will tell you that it isn't the same getting up for the first pre-season game. Most vets don't put their hats on the ball like they do in the regular season. So the bottom line is not to panic. We appear to have more problems on offense than defense, especially at the WR position. I like the way Youngblood played...he really went after the ball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Good Vick Article
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:15 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5869372?print=true

Vick: A runner masquerading as a QB?
Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) - Every now and then, the criticism gets to Michael Vick.

Last year, after resembling a traditional quarterback in a win at Miami, Vick told all the cynics to quit harping on his unique style and acknowledge that he could be effective as a dropback passer when he really put his mind to it.

But, as the Atlanta Falcons fell apart down the stretch, the Vick-isn't-a-real-quarterback lobby got louder. From national broadcasters to ordinary fans, he's still viewed by many as nothing more than a running back who just happens to take the snaps.

Vick has come to realize he'll always be a convenient target of those who say a quarterback should hone his passing skills and leave the running to others.

"As long as this team achieves its goals in going to the Super Bowl, I can care less about the numbers," he said. "It doesn't make a difference. Guys put up numbers every year - big numbers - and don't win a ring, so it doesn't mean anything."

One national columnist wrote that Vick is the Falcons' most overrated player. A well-known magazine ripped him for failing to take Atlanta to the playoffs in three of his five seasons, not bothering to mention he wasn't the starter one of those years and missed most of another with an injury.

Then again, Vick ranked 25th in passing efficiency last season, sandwiched between two players who are rarely mentioned in the same breath: Josh McCown and Brooks Bollinger. A stat that's much easier to understand didn't go in Vick's favor, either - the Falcons lost six of their last eight games and missed the playoffs, one year after reaching the NFC championship game.

Vick even conceded that he didn't give his best effort in the season finale, a humiliating 44-11 loss to Carolina after the Falcons already had been eliminated from the playoffs. While he wasn't the only one who packed it in that day, the quarterback must set the tone. Vick apologized to his teammates during training camp and vowed to give an effort befitting the Superman tattoo on his hand.

"If I have the passing yards or rushing yards and we don't accomplish the common goal at the end of the season, it doesn't mean nothing," he said. "I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody anymore because of regardless of what I do, people are going to say what they want to say. You can't please everybody. I can only please myself, my teammates, and the coaches. That's my goal, so I won't bother with it anymore."

There are plenty of things on which Vick can improve. His grasp of the West Coast offense - a scheme based on timing and shorter passing routes - is still a work in progress, even though this will be his third season running it. He clearly plays favorites when dropping back to pass, usually looking toward Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler and receiver Brian Finneran.

Those two combined for 115 receptions last season, accounting for nearly half Atlanta's output. But Finneran went down with a season-ending knee injury early in camp, and the 262-pound Crumpler isn't the sort of deep threat that keeps a secondary on its heels.

"Mike will cut it loose quicker with Alge than another receiver ... until he gets more comfortable with them, which is only natural if you're a quarterback," offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said.

Vick spent most of the offseason working with his two young starting receivers, who didn't make much of an impact in 2005: Michael Jenkins, a first-round pick two years ago, and Roddy White, last year's top pick.

White has shown a willingness to make the tough catches and seems to gaining his quarterback's confidence. Jenkins has the size (6-foot-4) to become a more inviting target for Vick, who is generously listed at 6 feet.

"Every now and then, it's tough for me to see over the line," Vick conceded. "But I create passing lines for myself. I work the pocket pretty well and I see things before they happen. I understand coverages, and I know where guys are going to be, so I really don't need the height. I just need my vision."

Vick has the sixth-best winning percentage among active NFL quarterbacks, so he's obviously doing something right. He's guided the Falcons to victory in nearly 62 percent of his starts, quite an achievement for a franchise that's never had back-to-back winning seasons.

Also, No. 7's impact is apparent from those who show up at the Georgia Dome on Sundays - many wearing his replica jersey. The Falcons rarely played in front of full houses before Vick arrived; now, the team routinely sells out and has a waiting list in the thousands.

"He can't be compared to other quarterbacks the same way," teammate Patrick Kerney said. "A lot of people say he uses his feet too much. But he uses his feet to make as much of a difference as most quarterbacks make with their arms."

Still, it's clear that Vick must take his passing game to another level if he wants to keep winning in the NFL. His running skills will gradually erode as his body absorbs more and more of a pounding, forcing him to become more of a pure dropback passer.

That sort of transition already happened for players such as Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper. But Vick isn't to that point yet, and the Falcons are in no rush to lead him in that direction.

"I don't know who is overrated and who is underrated," coach Jim Mora said. "All I know is that whatever list Mike Vick is on, I am glad that behind it says 'Mike Vick, Atlanta Falcons."'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
it is WAY too early to judge the team at all right now. This is pre-season and it really isn't much of an indicator as our #1 defense didn't play that much.

I agree. Think we should give the D a little more time before we come to any conclusions. The 5-6 new defensive starter point shouldn't be overlooked either.

Man is Norwood FAST! He really should open up the offense. Wow would I like to see a lot of screens and dump offs to him the year. I don't see how he could get at the very minimum, 5 years per touch if he gets in in space.

Nice TD grab by Jenkins. Tahts the way to use a 6'4 frame, and that size should really help Vick in the red zone.

Beck stood out to me, esp considering he's not even a starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Beck did look really sharp, we need to find a way to get this kid on the field.

I don't want to go into "Chicken Little" mode just yet about our defense any more than want to hand Jerious the #2 spot just yet. One pre-season game, especially the first one, isn't enough to panic about. Does it make me worry a bit? Yeah, but we've got all these new people, we didn't game plan at all and our starters only played a couple of series.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:40 pm 

Is it just me or does Norwood look like he is all legs? Of that 5'11" frame It looked like damn near 4'10" of it was all legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.falcfans.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

Posted my game review on the site's front page.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

LOL, yeah Norwood is a lot of legs. Main thing I thought about is how we only spent a third rounder, while everyone else spent firsts on the Maroney's, Addai's, etc. Good job McKay.