It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charles Rogers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Peter King's MMQB on cnnsi says that he expects Charles Rogers to be cut. How would he look replacing Finn??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Charles Rogers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:53 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

happ wrote:
Peter King's MMQB on cnnsi says that he expects Charles Rogers to be cut. How would he look replacing Finn??

He has serious injury concerns, and has a "Falcon Filter" problem. I think youngblood has a good chance to be the guy...good hands.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Charles Rogers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BirdBrain wrote:
happ wrote:

He has serious injury concerns, and has a "Falcon Filter" problem. I think youngblood has a good chance to be the guy...good hands.

I really like this Youngblood kid. He's tough and has good hands indeed. That height is also a nice plus for short yardage situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:46 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not to mention he is from clemson. Wow, C. Rogers has gone from sugar to s*** pretty quick. Think the Lions will draft a WR in round #1 next year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Are you serious about Youngblood? Big with good hands, but slow as hell. He's alright, but he's not going to be a guy that can come close to replacing Finneran.

Frankly, no player is going to really replace Finneran. I mean at best, we might be able to get a player that can give us 75% of what Finn gave us. And IMHO, the only available (or likely available) player that comes close is Ricky Proehl.

Rogers has a lot of upside, but playing 3rd or 4th fiddle here in Atlanta is not going to be the right place to develop it. If we're going to go after a Lions WR, it should be Mike Williams, who is actually a very good fit in our offense.

Rogers not making the Lions as the #3 or better is a very telling sign. And you're right Rogers wouldn't pass the Falcons filter.

You'r right, Rogers has fallen hard. When he came into the league in 2003, I thought in a few short years he could outshine Randy Moss, but now he's like 3rd string.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
Are you serious about Youngblood? Big with good hands, but slow as hell. He's alright, but he's not going to be a guy that can come close to replacing Finneran.

Frankly, no player is going to really replace Finneran. I mean at best, we might be able to get a player that can give us 75% of what Finn gave us. And IMHO, the only available (or likely available) player that comes close is Ricky Proehl.

Rogers has a lot of upside, but playing 3rd or 4th fiddle here in Atlanta is not going to be the right place to develop it. If we're going to go after a Lions WR, it should be Mike Williams, who is actually a very good fit in our offense.

Rogers not making the Lions as the #3 or better is a very telling sign. And you're right Rogers wouldn't pass the Falcons filter.

You'r right, Rogers has fallen hard. When he came into the league in 2003, I thought in a few short years he could outshine Randy Moss, but now he's like 3rd string.

I would take Mike Williams in a heartbeat. Regardless, I do seriously think we need a vet as our #3 and I'm not referring to Jerome Pathon. Just like the safety position we have very little behind our starters from what I have seen so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If you're a WR, and you can't make it work in a MMartz offense, thats not a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:03 pm 

Well the Martz offense prefers smaller quicker wideouts sorta like the Run N' Shoot. Rogers and Roy Williams are fast, Mike Williams is not. But neither Rogers nor Roy Williams have the sort of quickness that guys like Bruce, Holt, etc. have in St. Louis.

Truthfully all were better fits in the WCO under Mooch/Mornhingweg. But I think Mike Williams is a better fit here than Rogers. What we would need at the #3 spot is a guy that can work the underneath routes. Williams isn't a classic slot guy, but he'd tough to match up with for any nickle CB at his 6-5/230 frame. He has good hands, is slow, but can make plays after the catch. He'd be a great underneath target for Vick to dump off too. And unlike Rogers is still green enough that we can mold into a good player.

Rogers at this point reminds me too much of David Terrell. A change of scenery would do Rogers well, but not just any change of scenery. A place where he could compete for a starting job would be ideal. Going to him and saying that no matter how hard he works, he'll be no higher than #3 this year is not exactly the type of words of inspiration you want to give a guy with a questionable work ethic.

We need a guy that at least for the time being can be content and happy with being the #3 guy.

Profile E-mail