It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: im Mora Press Conference - Monday, August 14, 2006:Pt. 2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:59 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Jim Mora: Good practice this morning. A good, physical practice. You know, we're kind of winding down on two-a-days. We have one more scheduled for Wednesday, which half of it will be Green Bay stuff, so today is really our last, hard day, and I loved the way they worked today. They came out here and sometimes it's hard to get them going in the morning, and they were in it from the get-go. It was good to see. It was physical, it was intense, they were into it and I think we got a lot of work done.

Q: Is there anything you might do or a player might do before practice to get the guys going?
Mora: I don't know. We did a little, what we call a 'three-part pod drill' pretty early in practice just to get the pads popping a little bit with the up-front guys. But I don't know. I think it's a sign of their maturity and their leadership that they came out with that mindset of, 'Let's get some hard work done today.' I don't know. I didn't do anything this morning. I don't know what they did.

Q: What's the difference between Roddy White this year from last year?
Mora: I can't really tell you yet, because he didn't really get that many opportunities in the game the other day. He understands the offense more. He understands where he is supposed to be and when he needs to be there. He had an excellent offseason. He was slowed down a little bit last week because of the hamstring. We are looking for consistency from him. We like the way he works. I think the work with Michael (Vick) in the offseason will pay off. I think it is. I think it will down the line. I think when we get into the meat of the competition, you will start to see some things that will be pretty subtle. Maybe route break-offs, or little subtleties in the way he runs a route, depending on coverage. It goes back to what they worked on in the summer.

Q: Seemed like players might have been overly aggressive during practice.
Mora: I don't know. We had a good practice yesterday. We had a little ruckus, which we haven't had since the first week of camp. I think they are tired. They know camp is winding down and they want to get work in. These guys have a lot of pride. It was a good physical practice.

Q: How is the progress of (Edgerton) Hartwell and (Jordan) Beck?
Mora: They were both rusty in game one. I see them picking it up in practice. I think they both looked very good this morning. As we go through these next few preseason games they will get up to speed.

Q: How has Jason Webster looked over the past couple days, and how is Jimmy Williams adapting to playing his role?
Mora: Jason has looked really good the last couple of days. Part of that is having fresh legs and the other part is he is a good player. Jimmy just kind of flows. Jimmy doesn't say much, he just works. He may say something to the guy he is covering, but he is not an outwardly emotional type of guy. He is pretty consistent in the way that he works. He has been impressive. I like his mind set. I like his work ethic. He has adjusted fine.

Q: How much of an affect has Deion Sanders had on the defensive backs?
Mora: Deion and Kevin Mathis are good buddies. They were all at a birthday party somewhere and they started talking. The idea came up that Deion could come in for a couple of days and be around DeAngelo (Hall) for a little bit and impart some of his wisdom. Not only was Deion a great athlete and great cover guy, he was a student of the game. He liked to study film. He understood coverages. He understood what receivers would try to do to him. He was more than just a guy who locked people down. The cerebral part of his game was overshadowed by the athletic part of his game. Him coming in and watching film with DeAngelo and some of the other guys, I think is a big plus for us. It is good to have Deion here. If you look at our secondary coaches, Emmitt Thomas had 58 interceptions, Ashley Ambrose had 42, Brett Maxie had 27 and I think Deion had 58 as well. That is a lot of interceptions back there. There are four really good NFL players working with our guys. I think that's good and they all work well together.

Q: Last game it seemed like Cam Newton and Nick Turnbull saw a lot of snaps.
Mora: You will see that again this week. Those two guys are going to get a lot of snaps. We will play our starting defense a little bit more. Probably into the second quarter, just to get them some snaps together. Then you will see those young guys. They both showed some good things, but they both have a lot of things they need to work on. They are both raw. One comes from Furman and one comes from Florida International and neither one of them have played a ton of football at this level. They are both athletic, physical and work hard. We have not decided if we are going to play Kevin in this game. He has looked very good in practice. I don't know if I want to play him yet. I want it to be Kevin's decision.

Q: How is the competitions for the fourth defensive end looking?
Mora: There is good competition between Josh Mallard, Paul Carrington and Josh Savage. They all play hard and they all have strengths and weaknesses. We have to play those guys a lot as well. We have to find out who that guy is going to be. It is going to be fun these next three games.

Q: What are Kevin Youngblood's chances?
Mora: We like Kevin. Kevin was a guy that we brought back last year to our practice squad and then he got hurt. Then we brought him back again. We like Kevin. He is a big target and catches the ball well. He made some nice catches the other night. He is a good consistent player.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Whats the word on Bergeron these days at WR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:57 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

widetrak21 wrote:
Whats the word on Bergeron these days at WR?

Randall and Shock overthrew him a couple of times in the last game when he was wide open...i sure hope we keep him..anyone who catches almost 200 passes in 22 games has some talent....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah I'd like to keep him too, he's got that "suddeness" that people like Norwood and Hall have. In space I would think he could do some damage.