Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Here are the guys the Falcons have planned on visiting:

OG/OT Cooper Carlisle, Broncos
OC/OG Matt Lehr, Rams
CB Kelly Herndon, Broncos (RFA)
OLB/ILB Ike Reese, Eagles
OG Keydrick Vincent, Steelers

It would seem tehse moves are not too crazy. Carlisle is a guy most expected the Falcons to target since he can play all 5 OL positions. With the re-signing of Herndon, you wonder if the Falcons see him as less of a priority.

Lehr is a dual C/G, and seems like a guy that team wants to potentially replace Garza, if he leaves. Lehr's worked with Vick before, and has been a decent stopgap starter in the past.

Herndon is a RFA, but the Broncos aren't fighting hard to keep him. He's a decent starter, and can be a top nickel corner. He wants to go to a place where he can start. I don't think Atlanta is there. It basically comes down to the Falcons "overpaying" in order to keep the Broncos from matching his offer sheet. There is no compensation if the Falcons sign him.

Reese, I've mentioned before is a ST ace and a versatile nickel linebacker, capable of playing all 3 LB positions. He can be a body that can push Draft at MLB, or keep the SLB spot warm in case Demorrio doesn't hit the ground running.

Vincent is the most interesting one in my mind. He's a bigger run-blocking OG, rather than the quicker guys that Gibbs prefers. Is this Jags (our new OL coach) input on the matter? Will the team now go after more road-grading types rather than athletic types? We shall see.

From some of these targets, one would think that the team isn't expecting to retain Garza.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:18 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

You are right, they are "not too crazy."

I would be surprised if we got Herndon, who, all of a sudden, seems to have more of a market than one might suspect (I read that he is visiting KC and Seattle). I don't know that much about him, but he doesn't sound substantially different that Mathis, who seems to be the subject of absolutely no FA discussion.

Vincent is the intriguing one. I had forgotten that he was a fill in this year for Kendall Simmons - hence his availability (with Simmons returning next year).

At this point in free agency, we would seem to be no better, no worse off than we were going in. Vincent and Carlisle would seem to represent a modest upgrade on the offensive line.

I will remain skeptical that we can get D. Sharper until I see it. Returning to Donatell may have some appeal to him, but I would have to believe he can get a better contract offer elsewhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:27 am 

The AJC mentioned the other day that OT Adrian Klemm (Patriots) will be in for a visit in the coming days as well.

Klemm is a player that was good at Hawaii, but struggled through injuries throughout his career, and has done pretty much nothing. But he's a good athlete and played with Forney in college, so that's something. He's only depth, but he can be a guy that if he can turn things around could be a decent challenger to Shaffer on the left side.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:59 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

So much for the Keydrick Vincent discussion. He is now a Raven.

While this could put DeMulling back into play, I haven't really seen his named linked with Atlanta. He visited Buffalo and liked it, from what I read...