All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup linemen deliver big hits
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:24 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

By D. Orlando Ledbetter
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/23/06

Chauncey Davis and Jonathan Babineaux got the message loud and clear.

With John Abraham (groin) and Rod Coleman (toe) out against the Steelers, the second-year players were ordered by position coach Bill Johnson to step up their games.

They came through with two of the biggest plays in the 41-38 overtime victory.

Davis broke free and put a crushing hit on Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger early in the third quarter. Patrick Kerney and Michael Boley also got a piece of the quarterback, who was laid out on the field motionless.

"In the first half, we weren't getting as much pressure on the quarterback," Davis said. "We let him stay back there too long. Once we got back in, in the second half, we knew we just needed to turn it up on the defensive line. That's what we were doing."

On the next play, Babineaux caught up to running back Willie Parker in the backfield. He knocked the ball loose and recovered the fumble.

"I almost missed him at first, but he cut back to me," Babineaux said. "I reached out to him and the ball popped out and it fell right to me."

Four plays later, Warrick Dunn scored on a 1-yard run to make it 28-24.

"Babineaux has really played well at times this year but hasn't had the production," said Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager. "He has gotten a chance to make plays, but he hasn't finished the plays. Today he did, which was nice.

"I think Chauncey has played more plays on defense than any other defensive lineman. They are getting there."

Davis may be in trouble with the league office if it's determined that he led with his helmet on the Roethlisberger hit.

"I felt it was a great hit," Davis said. "I really didn't feel that I put my helmet down or face-mask-hit him. I thought it was a great hit. I thought I got my shoulder in there and got the side of the helmet in there. We'll just have to look at it, and hopefully it wasn't a bad hit."

Davis and Babineaux were also solid in stopping the run. After getting gashed for 259 yards last week by the New York Giants, the Falcons held Pittsburgh to 55 yards on 26 carries. Parker never got loose and was held to 47 yards on 20 carries.

"We thought this team would come in and really try to pound the ball because we'd shown a weakness last week, and we had to correct it with replacement players," defensive coordinator Ed Donatell said. "They went in and did a dandy job with that. That's really what gave us a chance in the whole game."

Davis had three tackles, a sack and two quarterback hurries. Babineaux had four tackles, a sack and one quarterback hurry.

"It was just great to see those guys pick up their games to another level," Kerney said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:25 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

The playing time that they received last year is paying HUGE dividends this year. I think Davis has a great future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:58 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yep, this was Davis's best game to date. One thing I noticed in Week 2 the first time that Abraham was out, that the team was playing Davis on running downs and using Carrington and the other ends on passing downs. I'm not sure if that was the case since, but definitely yesterday, the Falcons used Davis on passing downs.

He's not a guy that is ever going to be an 8-sack guy, but as a starter he has the potential to settle nicely in that consistently getting 4-6 sacks per year.

A game like that makes me forget how much I considered Davis a reach as a 4th round pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:05 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The pass rush was damn near non-existent. I can't get overly excited about the backups though they performed well enough to win, apparently. Let's just hope our starters can get back in there. By the way, Grady is, to this point, the hand sdown best signing of the off season. Where would we be without this guy?