12 to 1 odds for Super Bowl

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

12 to 1 odds for Super Bowl

Postby Pudge » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:54 am

PFW is listing the Falcons are 12:1 odds for the Super Bowl this upcoming year, according to one Vegas place.

It's interesting, since it lists us at #2 for NFC teams behind the Eagles (4:1), but tied with the Panthers (12:1) and slightly ahead of hte Packers (15:1).

I can agree with that, because I don't particularly see the Falcons being significantly better this upcoming season than a team like Carolina. Despite our success last year, I don't think the team was as good as the record. Like the Panthers the year before, I really think we benefitted from a poor conference. We've only upgraded significantly 1 starting position, and we've improved depth, but relatively those are cosmetic changes when you consider what a team like Minnesota has done this off-season.

As for how strong the NFC will be this year, I think it will be stronger. I really think the Panthers are a Top 3 or 5 team in the conference and getting healthy will really benefit them. Not to mention adding Lucas, Wahle, and McCree which strengthens them at arguably their 3 weakest positions from last year (excluding injuries).

The Packers, I'm not so sure of. At the skill positions they are still tough, but they've lost a lot on the offensive line, and their entire defense is still very questionable, even more so with losing a guy like Sharper. I think they'll be a playoff team, but I think it's going to be tough for them to get a 9-7 record this year.

The Vikings are intriguing and have made a lot of additions on defense. I think it's going to take some time for that unit to gel, so I don't expect them to see a dramatic improvement this year, but they should be much better and more consistent on both sides of the ball. They should be the class of that division.

I also expect bigger things next year from the Cowboys, Lions, Bucs, Cardinals, and Rams. I know it's really early, but here are more playoff team projections:

NFC East - Eagles, Cowboys
NFC Central - Vikings
NFC South - Panthers, Falcons
NFC West - Rams

And unlike last year, I really think all those teams are capable of winning at least 9 games this upcoming season. So we shouldn't be seeing 7-9 teams sneaking into the playoffs anymore.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”