It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dump Beverly now
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

USA Today Team Report wrote:
President and general manager Rich McKay confirmed that FS Bryan Scott likely will remain sidelined until the season opener, and the same goes for another player with shoulder problems, backup TE Eric Beverly.

Beverly is a one-dimensional player that eats up about $1.5 million in cap space. We need to get rid of him now, rather than later, considering he's not going to be healthy until the season opener and he's easily replaceable.

The team is hopeful Blakley's blocking has improved enough that he can handle the #2 position. He may never be in the same league as Beverly, but if he's stronger (which I hear he is), then he should be able to handle himself.

Also if you look out there on the market, there are plenty of solid blocking TEs to be had: Ken Dilger and Rickey Dudley are just two of them. Probably this late in the year, they will happily accept minimum salaries.

I believe by cutting Beverly we save about $1.3 million in cap space. That's good money to go to signing our rookies.

YOu can read the rest of the team report here. Mentions that Cobb might be able to take away the KO return job from Rossum if he performs well early in the preseason. Also goes into detail on Scott's injury and how it will affect the team.

The question becomes who handles the FS position in his absence? McCadam? Harris? Carpenter? Coady? Carpenter has the most experience at the position, but really lacks the speed to play there IMO (I think he lacks the speed to start at either safety spot). Harris, McCadam, and Coady are all "natural" SSs. Either way, this doesn't bode well for a pretty average secondary, if one of our better guys back there won't be running at 100% until a few weeks into the season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I saw that report the other day and thought the same thing. I was just looking at cappy's cap page and was shocked to see how much $$ he costs us. I know he was injured last year but rewatching some of the games, it really showed how bad he was in passing situations. Either cut him or make him take a pay cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:34 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The thing is that Beverly is very versatile. He's not one to have a long injury history so hopefully he can get over this...