It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marcus Robinson an answer at WR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There is potential that the 30-year old wide receiver could be cut by the Vikings at the end of hte summer. Found this little tidbit about some of the competitions around the league:

Fanball.com wrote:
2. Vikings' No. 2 wide receiver – Travis Taylor vs. Troy Williamson vs. Marcus Robinson: Publicly, Vikings' head coach Mike Tice claimed that Williamson entered training camp as the No. 5 receiver on the depth chart. However, we continue to hear that Tice is planning to feature the former Gamecock as the team's No. 2 receiver when the Buccaneers visit the Metrodome in week one. Tice may have even let the secret slip on Tuesday when he told the Star Tribune that Taylor is "no Troy Williamson." That notwithstanding, Taylor appears to have the No. 3 position locked down, which means Robinson could be the odd man out. Projected winner: Williamson

If Robinson somehow slipped to #4 on the depth chart behind Burleson, Williamson, and Taylor, it would be conceivable that the Vikings cut him. I'm not 100% up on all the details of his contract, but he's set to count at least $2.5 million this year, which for even a team like the Vikings is quite expensive to pay a #4 wideout, particularly when you have a solid #5 in Kelly Campbell. I'm not sure how much the Vikings would save by cutting him this summer, but I estimate it may be anywhere between $1 and $2 million, which is significant.

Robinson is not a problem solver, because IMO he's marginally a #2/#3 in this league. In an offense that didn't feature a lot of vertical passing, he would be a situational player, not a starter. But if this team managed to cut Price, we would lose a significant amount of veteran speed to the unit, and I think Robinson would be a capable replacement. Just something to consider. He fits the bill seemingly of what the Falcons are targetting: tall (6-3) with vertical speed and experience.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:01 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i understand your post however i do not feel that he is much of a upgrade over Price both are number 2 at best so do we keep loading up on WR hoping that one works or just go with what we have and maybe look for some upgrade on the OL they are young but i like the "potential" of White and Jenkins i may never work out but i agree with Mike Golic from the game that if we get the OL and Vick in sink and get the WR on the same page you look at White Price Jenkins D. White and Finneran we could have more than enough depth at the postion yes there is a chance that it maybe never work but i hopin that it does now if we can dump Price and take Robinson i am in if not they are the same player in terms of Depth cart to me

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:28 pm 

Good points. I don't think Robinson is much of an upgrade over Price if at all, but he has height and would be cheaper at his current salary than Price is at his. I'm just mentioning him as an option later in the summer if we decide to cut Price to take over his role on this offense. I wouldn't expect RObinson to start, but he and Roddy could provide some speed off the bench.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:20 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

that i agree with if we cut price and can get robinson at good rate i am all for it he would be a good teacher to white and jenkins also

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 pm 

I really do think the Falcons should go into this season with what they have. Let Jenkins & R. White start and work Price/Dez out of the slot. Regardless of how camp goes the future of this franchise is in Jenkins & Roddy are the future at receiver and they must develop chemistry with Vick.

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:28 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I actually have confidence in the group as a whole, i don't think they have a number 1. but i think they have about 4 number 2 reciever's and i think Vick will spread the ball around nicely this season. I'm also in love with the reciever's size and i think Peerless will dominate as a third reciever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:55 pm 

We also can't judge our receivers until Vick has truely established his passing game. This will be the first season without a complete change to the offense for Vick. No new coordinator, receivers, or plays. It's the same thing as last year but now everyone has a little more experience and is a little more comfortable.

I do fear that Vick will not become the passing threat he should be until we get some better upgrades on the offensive line. I do believe that the O-Line is vastly overrated going into this season. It's problems were apparent against the jailbreak blitz by Baltimore.