It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why even have player contracts today?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:40 pm 

I thought I would pose this question since all we here now are players holding out for more money like TO,Boldin and a number of others.I can understand from both sides the players when they sign contracts are not guarranted the money and can be cut at any time so they really end up with the bonus money.At the same time management says you have a contract you signed and you knew what you were getting into before you signed.Even though the market has gone up you still have a contract to fulfill.

I guess this will be the big debate when ever there is a new collecting bargaining agreement.What erks me is shouldn't the players not to have agreed to the bargaining agreement in the first place? Instead each player now is taking matters into there own hands,to heck with contracts I had a good year pay me more.Didn't TO miss a few games last year but he still got paid.Players believe that is a given we get paid no matter what which they are right.I hate million dollar athletes bickering about there value when there are alot of perks they get they forget.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think one of the main issues has arisen from the fact that a lot of top players got huge contracts within the past few years. Vick, Manning, Marvin Harrison, among others have all recently been paid a lot of coin. And now other players (particularly WRs) are seeing these deals, and believe they are just as valuable or good as these guys and want to get paid in a similar manner.

I honestly believe that if the Colts hadn't paid Marvin Harrison what he's making now, T.O., and a slew of other receivers wouldn' t be causing all this fuss. These guys believe they are the best WRs in the game, and are having issues with being #2.

Javon Walker and some of the other guys have legitimate reasons to hold out IMO as I pointed out before, because they will be free agents after 2006 and that's when the CBA runs out, so they are in a position to not get their dollars. But I think these guys need to understand that management is going to get you your $$$ eventually. Teams don't like having to give players huge bonuses after only 1 outstanding year.

I'm not sure what the NFL, coaches, owners, agents, and players are going to do. The NFL is truly hitting a crossroads, with a growing potential for labor strife to occur over the next 2-3 years. All the other major leagues have had lockouts and cancelled seasons recently, now I fear its the NFL's turn.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 am 

I'm sure it had some factor in it, and because I don't know all the details of his contract, it could have caused it or prevented it. But T.O. I believe is set to receive a sizeable option bonus come next spring. And his moaning has definitely cemented the fact that the Eagles will not pay it now.

I'm wondering now did this future bonus have a heavy effect on T.O.'s current act. Is he doing this in the hopes that the Eagles don't pay it so he can move on? Or is he just a complete idiot that didn't realize his tantrum just guaranteed the team wouldn't pay it. I'm sure had the Eagles went to another Super Bowl this year (they are after all the preseason favorites to WIN it according to some Vegas odds), he would definitely get his $$$.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:42 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge wrote:
I'm sure it had some factor in it, and because I don't know all the details of his contract, it could have caused it or prevented it. But T.O. I believe is set to receive a sizeable option bonus come next spring. And his moaning has definitely cemented the fact that the Eagles will not pay it now.

I think I heard that his roster bonus was set to be something like $6 million.