It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How big a deal is it?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The AJC is reporting that Jordan Beck has agreed to terms, which thus far is the first rookie to sign, and camp starts tomorrow.

But I'm asking how big a blemish is this in McKay's record? He's never had a good history when it comes to holdouts, and thus far since Blank has taken over and Ray Anderson has been our cap guy, we've only had 2 of 3 first round picks in camp on time.

The man has had 3 months to get rookies signed. I know that our cap situation was hindering us, but McKay said it himself that all they needed to do was free up $400,000 in cap space. Considering that other teams can create $2 or 4 million in cap space at times, $400K is relatively pennies to that.

Some might say 1 or 2 days of missing camp is not all that important in the long run, but I think it is, particularly for rookies, whether they are undrafted or drafted. Bottom line training camp is one big competition. And there are 70 or so other players that are getting a head start on them.

I don't want to come off as McKay bashing, but seriously how difficult is it to get 7 or 8 rookies signed in 3 months when $400-500,000 is all that stands in your way? For such a "great GM", it just comes off as borderline incompetent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I think
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:41 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

[url[/url] falconsdailydouble.blogspot.com

That sometimes Rich Mckay gets real cute with the whole situation,i also think Rich has a big ego and wants to be the so called "man" and show how great he is and i think sometimes that gets involved in negotiations, but hey what do i know. He did pony up on the cash for Mike though.

Post subject: I'm with you
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:46 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Oh yea, you do sound a lil bashfull bro, but im with you just tell Kieth Brookin to go under his carpet and get the 500G so we can get the kids in camp already. BTW, Why does it call me a scrub under my name? Have you been talkin to my girlfriend about me?

[url]falconsdailydouble.blogspot.com[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
Starter
Starter

I don't read a lot into the last min. signings. Seems many rookies from all teams were waiting until the last opportunity before reporting to camp. By the close of business today the Falcons had only Roddy White not under contract. I'm sure that will be worked out by weeks end.

As far sa McKay, I am still willing to with hold any judgments about him being an ego. Just build us a contender Rich and we will come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:32 pm 

Yeah, I'm not so sure it's an ego thing. But I guess the ends justified the means as you said, all but White were in camp on time. There are a lot of first rounders beginning to sign now (#1 Smith, #23 Washington, and #32 Mankins), so I think it will be a cascade effect, and White should have a deal done by Thursday or Friday.

But it just seemed a little bit incompetent for a so-called great GM to not be able to sign 7 or 8 guys when all he needed to do was clear up half a million in cap space. They got the money from Forney's deal, which tells me the team didn't want to mess with the deals of Kerney, Brooking, and Weiner because all of them are possibly in line for a contract extension before next year, and there are rules about how often you can restructure a deal within a year's time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think it has to do with us starting camp early. The other teams werent in a hurry to get them signed because they dont start for another week.