It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depth on def line may prove to be weakness need to remedy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:44 am 

I heard someone ask Pat Kerney how he felt the defensive line would perform and he mentioned he is worried about the depth of def line.With players like Wendall Bryant and Boulware out there I wish the falcon's would understand without a good def line it willl put tremendous pressure on the def backs and with our safteies they could get picked on alot.Brady Smith like it or not was a player that could get a sack once in awhile and yes we needed an upgrade but now who do we have playing the position?Unproven talent that you don't know what your getting.I am not sure how much cap space we have but if we have any maybe a project like Bryant or a proven player like Boulware could sign and take less knowing if they perform well could get a big contract next year and give the falcon's a def end that could put heat on the QB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think the Falcons will address this position, but with the injuries to Smith and Kerney, it allows them an unexpected and welcome look at just how good the backups are. Guys like Glymph, Davis, and Vaughn will now have the opportunity to face starting caliber OTs like Tarik Glenn, Jon Ogden, Orlando Brown, and Brad Hopkins, instead of 2nd/3rd string camp bodies.

If these guys look good against the improved competition, then the Falcons will be content with them. If they are just average or bad, the team will address the position soon.

I've had issue with the lack of depth this team has had at DE over several years. But I think we finally have a coaching staff that is putting a premium on a solid rotation, and I suspect they will find someone. It may not be a talent like Boulware, but we'll get someone in here that can try and stop the bleeding.

I too am very weary of our DE position, but I'll give some of these young guys a bit more time to show us what they've got. It's too late in the summer to hope really that anyone we bring in is going to set the world on fire, but hopefully this position won't be too much of a weakness come September 12.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:03 pm 

I think almost any team in the NFL would have a rough time losing two startin defensive ends. I doubt Kerney misses much time and I do believe that Davis can be a fill in while Smith is out. Don't forget that many of our defensive tackles and even outside linebackers can move to the defensive end position. We have great versatility with our exisiting players.

My concern is more about how winded the D-Line may get being short handed early in the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think our depth is ok. If we lose a couple of key players we won't see the same production we did last year but that should be a given. We could survive injuries there though. My biggest concern is our secondary. We are really weak there. I think having Keion back will help, and anyone could play better than Cory Hall did last year. None the less if we are hit by any injuries in our defensive backfield we could be in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:22 pm 

I think alot of people are underestimating the power known as Keion Carpenter. He was a playmaker for us before injury and now that he's 100% again he can be a playmaker again. I really hope they give him a chance to prove his form before trying something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I know Keion led our team in INT's in 02 (I think that's right, whatever year we beat GB in Lambeau). If he can return to that form a lot of my worries will be put to rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:11 pm 

I was really disappointed the Falcons did not address the #4 CB spot this off-season. Rossum is adequate, but not a guy that can be a capable role player on a consistent basis like a Kevin Mathis.

I am another one that underestimates Carpenter. I don't think he was all that great before the injuries. He was better than some of other guys, but better doesn't always mean good. He's an adequate starter, but he's just a stopgap at best. He doesn't hit that hard, is not that fast, basically his best assets is that he doesn't miss too many tackles and he plays the ball pretty well when it's in the air. Although I recall a few years back (2002?) that there were 2 or 3 interceptions that he dropped, so his hands are questionable.

The DE depth has been a pleasant surprise thus far this preseason. But I do think this position is going to continue to be a concern until the Falcons invest a high draft pick in somebody.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:08 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I've been very surprised with Chauncey Davis. Hopefully, he'll take Brady's place next season.

I was also shocked we didn't draft a corner at some point but I guess you can't draft everything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:38 am 

Pudge wrote:
Although I recall a few years back (2002?) that there were 2 or 3 interceptions that he dropped, so his hands are questionable.

A DB is just a receiver that doesn't have good hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Keion manages the secondary well...that's his biggest asset. He is a leader for a lot of the younger guys in the secondary. And you can't expect a DB to have great hands. As Dirty said a DB is just a poor handed WR. Chauncey has played great. It didn't really surprise me that much, I followed him at FSU but I am excited to see him play well, I would love if he could step up and start next year. I agree that we really need to address the CB position this off season. I'm sorry but I don't really like Webster, he's small and not really super fast either to make up for it. He plays with a ton of heart and I can appreciate that, but I don't think he's a good enough starter. There are 2-3 nice big CB's coming out of NCAA this year, maybe we can pick one of them up.