It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: future FA CB's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Just wondering if anyone knew what FA corners would be on the market this coming off season...I think if we can get another good CB and maybe a safety we could be set on defense. If anyone can help that'd be super cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, he are a few of the names:

1. Charles Woodson, Raiders
2. Patrick Surtain, Chiefs
3. Nate Clements, Bills
4. Will Allen, Giants
5. Deshea Townsend, Steelers
6. Renaldo Hill, Raiders
7. Lenny Walls, Broncos
8. Fakhir Brown, Saints
9. Chad Scott, Patriots
10. Juran Bolden, Buccaneers

Clements will most definitely get the Franchise tag. Woodson will most likely get it too. Surtain may get it if Priest Holmes isn't tagged. As for the rest, I doubt their teams would tag them. Allen would only get it if he had a Pro Bowl caliber year this season. Same for Townsend (assuming Hines Ward is signed by then).

The problem with free agent cornerbacks is that they cost an arm and a leg for not a whole lot of talent. Look at we paid to get Webster, who was widely considered to be better suited for a backup position than a starter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Thanks for the info, Pudge you are the man....Yeah I know that corners cost an arm and a leg, and we did overpay Webster...I just think if we could get another really good corner then that would free up our defense so much more...perhaps after we cut Peerless we might have enough money to sign someone...I'm jist glad there are a couple of good corners in the draft next April....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

isnt mcallister a FA in 06?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:23 pm 

If you're talking about Chris McAlister, as far as I'm aware, he's signed through 2010. As for Deuce McAllister, he was set to be a FA after this season, but got a big contract extension a few months ago and now is on the books in New Orleans through 2012.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:53 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Personally, I think our best bet is to get a CB out of the next draft in the 1st or 2nd round. It will mean spending less than getting a FA and would be a better long-term option for the team. I also would like to see them get a DE, RB, or S, but I'd rather see a FA in one or all of those spots.

Who is going to be on the market next year in terms of DEs? Brady is a very likely cap cut, and we also need to worry about RB because Dunn is also going to be cut. We could use help at OL possibly too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Dunn's role here next year will depend on this year. If he does well I can see us keeping him and using him in the same way that St. Louis is using Faulk. If he gets hurt and spends a lot of time on the bench then I could see us taking a RB in the draft in the middle rounds. If there are any good DE coming up as FA's (Pudge that's your cue :) ) I think we should persue a DE that way. If not I think Chauncey could start next year if he had to (if he develops well, which I think he will). Regardless I see our first pick next year being a corner or a safety (depending on where we pick, the higher we pick the less chance it will be a safety).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:46 am 

Well here are some the big name DEs hitting the market this upcoming spring:

1. John Abraham, Jets
2. Darren Howard, Saints
3. Andre Carter, 49ers (OLB)
4. Hugh Douglas, Eagles
5. Tony Weaver, Ravens
6. Duane Clemons, Bengals
7. Aaron Kampman, Packers
8. Raheem Brock, Colts
9. Marcellus Wiley, Jaguars
10. Kimo von Oelhoffen, Steelers

Howard is a player to look hard at. The Saints will probably tag him again, and try and trade him one more time (he almost went to Dallas this past off-season). He would be a great pickup, but the team would likely have to give up a #1 and a huge contract.

It's not a particularly strong class when it comes to pass rushers. BUt if this team is looking for someone like a Brady Smith, who stops the run better than rush the passer to play RDE, then I think this upcoming class can suffice.

Also remember that it is likely that Kerney will get a sizeable contract extension after this year.

Profile E-mail