It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The rookie won it
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

We cut Gowin today, along with Bibla and a few other players none of which I expected to make the team so their names escape my memory....After last night's game I figured Gowin was on his way out. The rookie has looked great all pre-season (excpet for the Tokyo game that is) and I see why the team is willing to choose him over Gowin.
Bibla got edged out too. His only hope was to make it as a back-up at tackle and guard and after seeing him play some tackle against the Ravens I see why he got cut as well. Well that's the first round of cuts down, you think we'll get any surprises with the next round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here is a link to the article with all of the information.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... notes.html

It should be interesting to see who else gets cut by Tuesday and who they can keep on for the practice squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:03 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Wooooooooohoooooooooo! I was hoping Koenen would get it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:03 am 

Bonus points for the man from the Nortwest. Now I have another northwesterner to root for; even if he is a punter. I remember how dumbfounded I was when the Falcons draft my old high school aquaitence Travis Claridge. Crazy stuff.

Post subject: Travis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Too bad he kind of sucked for us (he being Travis), never really fit in and didn't seem to have the heart of the great O-line guys, which is to say he didn't want to hurt the D-Line guys.

Also I have to agree the rook is a good choice.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Bibla I think fell into the trap some other past Falcon OL have fallen in that they never really excelled at a position. I think it hurt Garza, Calvin Collins, and Claridge. Part of it was the coach's fault, part of it was players fault. Sometimes the coaches wrongly projected a player to play a position that they couldn't, and when they failed it set them back a few years. Other times it was just a player not being able to step up his play.

The rumors on why Bibla never stuck was said to be attitude issues. Despite 2 good starts in 2003, he never got out of a perceived doghouse whether Mangurian or Gibbs was the OL coach.

The team moved him to OT this past year, and he struggled because he couldn't play there. But although it was a position change that never was expected to work, I don't blame the coaches in that sense. It was Bibla after all that allowed guys like Moore and Herndon to be brought in and move past him on the depth chart.

I'm also glad to see Koenen made it, despite my predictions that he wouldn't. I'm curious to see if the Falcons work out or sign another punter to p-squad as insurance in case Koenen doesn't get off to a great start.

There are some decent veterans that may become available once the season starts. I'm willing to give Koenen a chance, but I think it's going to be a short leash on him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:41 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I still don't understand what happened with Bibla to be honest. He was awesome the last part of 2003 and never really got much of a chance last year to be honest. They kept trying to make him a center or a tackle. I think lack of versatility killed him as much of anything...