It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SI.com - No Love
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:42 pm 

According to SI we aren't as good as the Panthers.

SI's Projections for NFC South and Playoffs.

Carolina: 12-4
Atlanta: 10-6
Saints: 8-8
Tampa: 7-9

Wild Card
Vikes over Cowboys
Falcons over Rams
Ravens over Jets
Steelers over Chiefs

Divisional
Panthers over Cowboys
Eagles over Falcons
Colts over Steelers
Patroits over Ravens

Championship
Panthers over Eagles
Colts over Patriots

Super Bowl
Panthers over Colts

I think it is safe to say that people are vastly overrating the Panthers now. They good but not the team most analysts think they will be.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... t/?cnn=yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think one huge problem for us is our schedule. We're playing just about every good team in the league and while it will be good for getting us ready for the playoffs, it will probably drop our record a little unless Vick becomes that passer we all know he will be. Only time will tell, but the Jets, Pats, Eagles, and our conference will make going 11-5 or 12-4 very tough to do.

Post subject: Pudge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:26 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge my dear friend, The Jets are not a very good team, we play all the good team's at the Dome, where Mike has 4 career losses. The other team's have worse sced's than us! I'm not really worried about Carolina, let all the "experts" pick them. That's cool, this is our division.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well, I don't think Panthers are really that much of a challenger to this team, but I do not expect us to sweep them this year. We all know VIck is 5-0 agains tthem, but with the improvements they've made this off-season coupled with the fact that they usually have played us extremely close in past matchups, I can't see that team going down 0-7 against Michael Vick (Just like the Colts can't lose forever against the Patriots).

Also factor in that the Panthers have shown a dominance of the Bucs (4-0 in last 4 matchups) that we have not, suffice to say, winning one game against us may be all that is necessary for them to hold the top record in the division.

And considering our non-divisional schedule is a bit tougher (Eagles and Seahawks vs. Cowboys & Cardinals), and both teams face their toughest competition at home, one could assume that if the teams are nearly equal in talent/ability, then it means that the Panthers have an easier route to a division crown.

To be honest, I expect the Pantehrs to finish this year 11-5, us 10-6, and I have predicted the Panthers will win the Super Bowl. I know, blasphemy. But I think each team's chances are about equal in terms of going to the Big Dance. I think however if the Falcons are forced to go through Philly in the playoffs (and right now I'm predicting they will), then I think it gives the Panties the slight edge. But this is based on the Panthers winning the division. Whomever wins the division I think will be the NFC rep in the Super Bowl (right now I psychotically have the Colts as teh AFC rep).

And on paper, I think the Panthers have the edge in winning the division, even if I don't feel they are a better team than us. Atlanta's ultimate success which is starting to sound like an eternal echo is contingent on the success of its untested passing attack.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:16 pm 

I am actually feeling quite good about our passing game this year. Vick has barely had a chance to throw a ball this pre-season (29 passing attempts over 3 games) and is at 58% completion percentage thus far. Vick has finally started hitting his checked down and alternate receivers when his primary is covered and he is reading defenses.

I think this could be the coming out party for Vick in this offense. Especially if Jenkins & either White really breaks out. I know Vick has been singing praises of Roddy White and both him and Stewart have tabbed him "Mini Owens."

Post subject: SI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

When have the Falcons ever gotten love from a publication? Picking wins before the season is so lame. The league revolves around injury (as both Carolina 04 and Atlanta 03 will tell you). Once the season starts people will go down, it always happens, and unless you are the Pats then most likely you are waiting for the draft to come.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I am actually feeling quite good about our passing game this year

I agree Dirty. Vick will pass for 3,000 yards this season. You heard it here first. :lol:

We will run to set up the pass, and I am expecting big things from Jenkins and Rowdy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:34 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I think the defense has done very well for the past couple of years and will be much improved this year. The problem the Falcons have is the offense. Three and out will wear out your defense as well and open the floodgate for scoring offenses.

If the offense moves the ball this year and scores TD's instead of settling for FG's, the defense will look even more improved. But the offense has got to do their part. Vick must be solid this year and the line must block, or the predictions will come true.