It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broke down the game last night and here it is:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:49 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Here's what I saw:

Offense:

Dunn looked like a starter, Duckett looked like a situational back.

Left side of line didn't get run off of much if at all.

Vick made very good reads all game long.

Breakdown of passes: Of 11 incompletions, 10 were bad passes (includes INT), 1 pass defended. Vick must improve accuracy and when to use touch. INT was thrown too softly and dumpoff to Griffith on blitz was too hard for a 3 yard pass and a little behind him. 2 good passes brought back due to Holding on Forney and Blakely and 1 drop by Crump not counted due to Offensive PI. NO drops counted. Mediocre passing game. Chalk it up to 1st game adrenaline and MNF.

Sack responsibility: Lehr/Dunn on 1st sack. Scheme on 2nd: Either it was a designed run that didn't work or should have been audibled off. Crump/Finn on 3rd sack. Neither picked up outside rusher. Duckett/Griffith on 4th resulted in fumble.

All 4 sacks came on blitzes. Only 1 was the blocking not there to pick it up. We MUST work on blitz pickups.

Run blocking: Was excellent. Only two glaring errors: McClure got beat by not picking up LB causing a 3 yard loss for Dunn. McClure holding on Duckett TD run unnecessarily (yes, it was a hold, can't turn the guy around and expect it not to be called) and the drive resulted in a fumble so it cost us a TD.

Pass blocking: The o-line did VERY well in pass coverage.

Defense:

Run defense was stout.

We MUST work on coverage of RB's. Westbrook made Brooking look bad and beat D-mo a couple of times, however, D-mo had the speed to keep up with Westbrook while Brooking did not.

Pass coverage on WR's was excellent. Bend don't break at it's finest. Fantastic job.

D-line got great pressure all night on McNabb.

Special Teams:

Rossum KR well. Didn't get an opportunity on PR, great job by the Eagles to negate that.

Koenen kicked off very well and the coverage was outstanding. Punting, he had 1 good punt, 1 lucky punt, and 5 mediocre to bad punts. MUST improve but I can chalk that up to 1st game and MNF jitters.

Great effort that got the win but definitely some things to build upon and get better at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Thanks Cap! You know, I think the best thing for solving our issues with blitz pickup is an improved passing game! Opponents will not be as quick to blitz if Vick gets comfortable with his outlet options. They won't committ so many blitzers when they know we have dangerous receivers out there who could make them pay. Until we get to that point, we had better improve on recognizing and making adjustments for the blitz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Great analysis Cap! I agree. I'm not sure if you have the game taped or what, but from what I saw, the receivers did somethign they didn't do well last year... get seperation and ran disciplined routes. Can you verify or was I drunk/dreaming?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:53 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I was scratching my head when I saw a tall lanky white guy line up next to Vick in the shotgun. :?

Post subject: Great recap!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:00 pm 

I am surprised that the blitz still is a problem for the falcon's. Surely,mora has the tapes of the super bowl and nfc championship.Another huge problem is the 2 minute drill where the offense has no clue how to score.I think alot of is vick's inabilty to pass acurately.Now I am going to ease up on vick but this upcoming seattle game we should start seeing how good the passing game is.The Eagle's have on of the toughest defenses however Vick needs to cut up and disect other teams.The excuses only run so long!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:08 pm 

Finneran is a very good blocker. He should be able to handle a DB coming in on the blitz. Blocking is one of the main reasons that Finneran is still a Falcon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Finneran is a very good blocker.

Ah but, blocking in the open field or in the flanker position is quite different then staying home and picking up a blitz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Another huge problem is the 2 minute drill where the offense has no clue how to score.

I'd never thought I'd say this.............but now when we have 2 minutes on the clock..........I long for Reeves and Mangurian(sp). In 2002 how many last minute drives did we have? A ton.

Maybe Reeves needs to call Knapp up and let him know what was going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:21 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I was shocked when I watched the game that the men to block these blitzes where there and either they chose the wrong guy to block or made a horrible attempt at a block. I'm sure Gibbs is going bonkers in the film room over it.

What's alarming to me is the fact that either Vick threw great passes or bad passes. I really expected more pass defenses not just off target throws. I was pleasantly surpised that I came away not totally eating his lunch about the fumbles... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cap, I made the same observations as you when it came to blitz pickup. Most of the missed blocks were by WRs, RBs, and TEs. I'm not sure if it is up to McClure to communicate with everyone on the field about blitz pickup. I assume its not since that would mean he's communicating with 7 or 8 guys rather than his usual 4 or 5, which would be daunting for any center.

thescout wrote:
I am surprised that the blitz still is a problem for the falcon's. Surely,mora has the tapes of the super bowl and nfc championship.

No one blitzes better than the Eagles, and I've only seen a handful of teams stop it. Usually the best way to stop the Eagles from blitzing is to hit them for big yardage over top when they do. But with that secondary of theirs that is probably one of the most difficult things for any offense in this league to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:03 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The good thing is that Vick did motion Finneran over in one case to block (Fin just botched it...lol) and in the other situations we fell into max protect but again, blocks were missed and assignments were missed. That's GOT to be fixed.