A tough question

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
AngryJohnny51

A tough question

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 pm

If a team quits on a first year coach, do you bring him back?

Something just isn't right here. You can cite lack of talent all you want and to a certain extent that is true, but the lack of effort is what is standing out to me. These players are professionals, many are league veterans. We the fans don't see what goes on in the locker room or the classroom, but these guys do. If the players know the coaches aren't NFL quality.....can management bring them back?

Pudge
Site Admin

Re: A tough question

Postby Pudge » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:02 pm

What was the knock on the team when Mike Smith was here? They didn't respond well to adversity. But that was simply dismissed because Mike Smith wasn't a good coach.

Now the team is going through the same problems? And now it's once again because the coach isn't good enough.

At a certain point you have to realize the common denominator is the players and maybe this team needs to stop being so married to the players that were successful 3-5 years and move on with a new core of players in the future that will deal better with adversity.

Davewaz

Postby Davewaz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 pm

I'm willing to give Quinn another year as long as he dumps Shanahan, if he sticks with Shanny then it's time to start anew... As for the personell, I liked this years draft and last years wasn't so bad, but alas the prior years were shit and we have been terrible in FA... TD has lost touch with his early magic and needs to go as well. Alas I hope we can lose out and get a bettter draft pick, and that no one gets hurt in doing so.... Another year down the toilet

AngryJohnny51

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:55 am

Pudge wrote:What was the knock on the team when Mike Smith was here? They didn't respond well to adversity. But that was simply dismissed because Mike Smith wasn't a good coach.

Now the team is going through the same problems? And now it's once again because the coach isn't good enough.

At a certain point you have to realize the common denominator is the players and maybe this team needs to stop being so married to the players that were successful 3-5 years and move on with a new core of players in the future that will deal better with adversity.

From my count there are only 6-7 players remaining on this years roster that were here in 2012. So am I assume you want to get rid of Ryan, Julio, Roddy, Matt Bryant and William Moore??

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:23 pm

AngryJohnny51 wrote:From my count there are only 6-7 players remaining on this years roster that were here in 2012. So am I assume you want to get rid of Ryan, Julio, Roddy, Matt Bryant and William Moore??

Gee, I guess you're right. In my head, it seemed like 10-12. But Roddy and Willy Mo are probably gone, and Bryant might stick around for another year. But Kroy & Babs are also likely to be gone by 2017 as well.

I guess the larger point is that this fanbase (and its ownership) seem overly tied to the past. The psyche of this franchise never got over the 2012 NFCCG loss and has been chasing it ever since. It's why the fact that the Falcons have reverted to being just a mediocre team the past few years has been such a tough pill to swallow. We ran Mike Smith out of town for it, we're trying to run Shanahan out of town for it, and now the tide is beginning to turn against Dan Quinn.

I mean the Falcons are no different of a team than the Dolphins, Texans, Redskins or Rams the past few years but because we were just on the cusp of a Super Bowl a few years ago, that has become much more distasteful among our fanbase than it probably is with others. Especially when you consider three of those other teams don't have a quarterback. Well, the Falcons problem is that they have a quarterback, but they don't have a team.

People in general overrate the impact of coaching at the NFL level. Just like all things in the NFL, there is a finite supply of quality. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have, instead of constantly churning things in the hopes that you magically stumble upon the perfect coach.

Bruce Arians ain't walking through that door.

Return to “The Huddle”