All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimmy Williams passes up workout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/16/08

Flowery Branch — Falcons safety Jimmy Williams, a second-round draft pick in 2006 who has yet to break into the starting lineup, elected not to attend the second day of the team's optional minicamp practice Tuesday.

"Jimmy was not here today and, of course, these [practices] are optional," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "This is not a mandatory one."

Smith said the staff was aware that Williams would not attend. He was the only player under contract not in attendance. Calls to Williams' cellphone were not returned.

Williams played cornerback as a rookie. Last season, he was moved to safety and lost out to Chris Crocker for the starting free safety job.

Erik Coleman, a free-agent signee, lined up beside Lawyer Milloy at free safety with the No. 1 unit Tuesday.

Last season, Williams was moved to special teams, but after playing poorly, was inactive for two December games.

Draft prospects watch practice

Draft prospect Jeff Otah, a 6-foot-6, 322-pound offensive tackle from Pittsburgh, and Arkansas safety Tyrell Johnson attended practice. Otah is considered one of the top tackles in the draft behind Michigan's Jake Long. Johnson, 6-0, 207, is the No. 1-rated strong safety in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com.

Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib is scheduled to visit later this week.

Lewis hopes for quick return

Promising defensive tackle Trey Lewis, who reinjured his surgically repaired left knee walking down stairs at his home, is hoping to return by the end of training camp.

"I'm hoping and praying that I can get back out here this year," Lewis said. "All I can do is rehab. Hopefully, late camp or right after camp. This probably set it back a month or two after the second surgery."

Weems catches coaches' eye

Wide receiver Eric Weems, who spent most of last season on the practice squad, made a spectacular catch during drills.

"We ran him on an out-and-up, and the ball was out in front of him," receivers coach Terry Robiskie said. "He dove out there and made an excellent catch. He's very quick and explosive off the ball. He's doing some good stuff."

Wide receivers not a weakness

The wide receivers, once considered a sore spot, now look like a team strength with the development of Roddy White and Laurent Robinson and with veterans Joe Horn and Michael Jenkins. The group could receive a boost from Brian Finneran's return from injury.

Robiskie has pushed them hard and kept them for an extra session after practice. "You've got to test them, see what they know and what they don't know," Robiskie said. "It was good for me to get out with them and see how few mental mistakes they make. They picked it up pretty good. We threw everything at them and got them rolling."

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jimmy Williams passes up workout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

SMOKING UP A BLUNT JIMMY NOOTT GOOD

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This guy is working his way up to be perhaps one of our worst draft picks ever. Good job, Jimbo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Can anyone think of any reason, I mean any remotely, semi-logical reason why Jimmy would do this? His career could literally be on the line here.

I will never, ever, understand this mentality. Hopefully, I'm off-base, and there's a really good reason for this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:17 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Any number of things...wife having baby or other family issues, court date, too damn good to need practice. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Rumor has it JW was in Oakland visiting DHall and lobbying Al to trade a late round pick for him.

Well,...the WR position a strength? That one wasn't hard to see. But still we'll read that White has to have two great years before he's given any credit and Horn may be washed up and Jenks is still a borderline bust and Robinson hasn't proven a thing.

And I love Brian but,...usually a fifth WR plays special teams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:35 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Where did you here this "rumor" from?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 am 
Superstar
Superstar

PB21 wrote:
Well,...the WR position a strength? That one wasn't hard to see. But still we'll read that White has to have two great years before he's given any credit and Horn may be washed up and Jenks is still a borderline bust and Robinson hasn't proven a thing.

I suspect that Roddy will continue his high level of play from last year. I think that, more than anything, he had a problem with the super-sonic Vick passes. Then, once he dropped a few of them, it got to his head, and he couldn't even haul in the easy ones. He seemed to get his head on straight last year, so I don't think we'll be seeing the return of "Shoddy" any time soon...amazing what a little confidence can do for a guy.

As for Robinson, I think that being firmly in the #2 spot, and transitioning to a more "vertical" passing game will really help him. The kid has all of the physical tools and then some. I expect a break out year for him.

Jenkins...meh.

Horn...old

As for Jimmy Williams...the fat lady is waiting just off stage, and warming up her throat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 pm 

I still think Jenkins will be a solid slot/#3 receiver option.

As far as Jimmy Williams it would appear he is suffering from a broken heart that the Falcons would trade his best friend. Out of all the guys on the roster now Williams needed a good showing early not this. The guy is getting bad advice or his head isn't screwed on right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know someone on this site LOVES VT players, but I think I am officially done with them. I have been the biggest supporter of JW since we signed him, but this is just stupid. If we never sign a VT player again it will be too soon.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

First, we do need to find out what the reason was. Could be legit (although with Jimmy who knows).

I'm the VT guy, and yeah I love 'em, but not the ones that keep screwing up. I distest wasted opportunites. So few get these chances, and I'm sure most here would kill to be in the position as these guys, with the same opportunities. But at the end of the day, you can't do it for them. This is along the same lines of why draft projections are such a crapshoot.

I used to love Vick, but obviously many were burned up on that bridge. Jimmy played his guts out for VT, so I think its goes back to his brain. You're either bright or not, either have common sense or don't. I'm thinking Mr. Williams is light on both areas, not unlike Mr. Vick. The problem is the rest of the sample size is MeAngelo "I need to win NOW!", only to go to Oakland, wtf?

But really, thats a pretty small sample size. And we've all been through the "these kids wouldn't even be at that school if he couldn't play ball" talk. VT will only be second to USC-W in the number of players drafted this year. I know pudge is gonna say something about this comment, but all three of those are 757 kids. Ie. "you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy." Nobody should take that the wrong way. The context that I mean is someone like Jimmy is stupid enough to think getting drafted was his "making it". Thats all those kids in that area dream of growing up, the Vicks and Iverson. Thats the way out. Now if its me and I'm jimmy, I bust my tail to make people eat crow on slipping to the 2nd round. Instead, I'm afraid he just doesn't "get it".

Either way you cut it, it's put up or shut up time Mr. Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

widetrak21 wrote:
First, we do need to find out what the reason was. Could be legit (although with Jimmy who knows).

I'm the VT guy, and yeah I love 'em, but not the ones that keep screwing up. I distest wasted opportunites. So few get these chances, and I'm sure most here would kill to be in the position as these guys, with the same opportunities. But at the end of the day, you can't do it for them. This is along the same lines of why draft projections are such a crapshoot.

I used to love Vick, but obviously many were burned up on that bridge. Jimmy played his guts out for VT, so I think its goes back to his brain. You're either bright or not, either have common sense or don't. I'm thinking Mr. Williams is light on both areas, not unlike Mr. Vick. The problem is the rest of the sample size is MeAngelo "I need to win NOW!", only to go to Oakland, wtf?

But really, thats a pretty small sample size. And we've all been through the "these kids wouldn't even be at that school if he couldn't play ball" talk. VT will only be second to USC-W in the number of players drafted this year. I know pudge is gonna say something about this comment, but all three of those are 757 kids. Ie. "you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy." Nobody should take that the wrong way. The context that I mean is someone like Jimmy is stupid enough to think getting drafted was his "making it". Thats all those kids in that area dream of growing up, the Vicks and Iverson. Thats the way out. Now if its me and I'm jimmy, I bust my tail to make people eat crow on slipping to the 2nd round. Instead, I'm afraid he just doesn't "get it".

Either way you cut it, it's put up or shut up time Mr. Williams.

I disgree WT. LSU will have more players drafted than VT.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You're damn right I'll have something to say, I don't take kindly to people saying bad things about the 757. After all, Bruce Smith and Alonzo Mourning, two very fine individuals are from that area.

But I agree with widetrak, too soon to be jumping to conclusions that Jimmy has quit on the team. There are dozens of very good reasons why he may be missing camp. The very fact that the team was aware that he would be missing time, implies that there's a good reason for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

List? I'm sure it's close either way.

We've got 11 by my count...

Flowers - CB
Adibi - OLB
Royal - WR/KR
Ellis - DE
Brown - T
Morgan - WR
Harper - WR
Powell - DT
Hall - MLB
Parker - FS
Booker - DT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Plus Ore's probably in the supplemental.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:39 pm 

I don't think Booker or Parker will get drafted. I'm not giving up on VT players. Kam Chancellor AKA Sean Taylor, Jr. is still out there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don't think Booker or Parker will get drafted.

I think Parker is underrated, he was not only the QB of the VT D, but rarely if ever out of position. But you may be right on he and Booker, they are border line draftees. Booker is a guy that really on emerging as a senior, but had a good year.

Quote:
I'm not giving up on VT players. Kam Chancellor AKA Sean Taylor, Jr. is still out there.

:shock: Get out of my head! :D :D That boy is the second coming! A 2 star QB recruit too!! VT knows the 757. Doesn't hurt that Al Groh is an idiot too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

jimmy should stop hanging out with koren robinson and rickey williams.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:18 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

widetrak21 wrote:
Quote:

List? I'm sure it's close either way.

We've got 11 by my count...

Flowers - CB
Adibi - OLB
Royal - WR/KR
Ellis - DE
Brown - T
Morgan - WR
Harper - WR
Powell - DT
Hall - MLB
Parker - FS
Booker - DT

Yep...it should be closer than when we last played. Don't want to turn this into a Draft thread, but here goes:

Will Arnold OG

Glenn Dorsey DT
Early Doucet WR
Matt Flynn QB
Jacob Hester RB

Ali Highsmith LB
Chevis Jackson CB
Craig Steltz S
Carnell Stewart OT
Jonathan Zenon CB
Keith Zinger TE

Maybe even the punter Fisher might get a look in the 7th round, but i doubt it. He did impress with his great kicks last year, and at the pro day....big guy with a booming leg. Luke Sanders @ LB might get a late round look because of his speed and nice size. 6'5 and 245...

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

one8swayze wrote:
PB21 wrote:

I suspect that Roddy will continue his high level of play from last year. I think that, more than anything, he had a problem with the super-sonic Vick passes. Then, once he dropped a few of them, it got to his head, and he couldn't even haul in the easy ones. He seemed to get his head on straight last year, so I don't think we'll be seeing the return of "Shoddy" any time soon...amazing what a little confidence can do for a guy.

As for Robinson, I think that being firmly in the #2 spot, and transitioning to a more "vertical" passing game will really help him. The kid has all of the physical tools and then some. I expect a break out year for him.

Jenkins...meh.

Horn...old

As for Jimmy Williams...the fat lady is waiting just off stage, and warming up her throat.

Aha! You've been getting reports like I have! :wink:

White is blowing by all the guys covering him. It is reported he appears faster than last season. Robinson is the real deal,...speed and quickness that closes "separation" and the ability to burst to the deep ball. Jenkins still can't gain separation reportedly but will stick around for his downfield blocking. They said Finn was running around well.

Best hands?,...Robinson.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

PB21 wrote:
one8swayze wrote:
PB21 wrote:

Jenkins...meh.

Horn...old

White is blowing by all the guys covering him. It is reported he appears faster than last season. Robinson is the real deal,...speed and quickness that closes "separation" and the ability to burst to the deep ball. Jenkins still can't gain separation reportedly but will stick around for his downfield blocking. They said Finn was running around well but did not participate in drills. And granted,...the guys covering White and Robinson aren't exactly DHall,...but geesh, trying to be positive! :D

Best hands?,...Robinson.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PB21 wrote:
one8swayze wrote:
PB21 wrote:

Jenkins...meh.

Horn...old

White is blowing by all the guys covering him. It is reported he appears faster than last season. Robinson is the real deal,...speed and quickness that closes "separation" and the ability to burst to the deep ball. Jenkins still can't gain separation reportedly but will stick around for his downfield blocking. They said Finn was running around well.

Best hands?,...Robinson.

The funny thing about assessing Falcons receivers and what they to do defenders is you have to remember they are going against Falcons defenders...who most WRs seem to blow past in games last year. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Williams attended the first day and then had a meeting with the head coach. Think the following excerpt from an article in another thread is the reason Williams didn't come back for day 2 & 3:

"Williams, who was moved from cornerback to free safety last season, spent Day 1 of mini-camp as the No. 3 free safety behind free-agent signee Erik Coleman and Antoine Harris, who saw significant action last season, mainly in nickel packages".

He didn't like where he was on the depth chart and got pissed and left. He won't survive camp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

PB21 wrote:

Nah. Just guessing off of what I saw last year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:14 pm 

John O wrote:
Williams attended the first day and then had a meeting with the head coach. Think the following excerpt from an article in another thread is the reason Williams didn't come back for day 2 & 3:

"Williams, who was moved from cornerback to free safety last season, spent Day 1 of mini-camp as the No. 3 free safety behind free-agent signee Erik Coleman and Antoine Harris, who saw significant action last season, mainly in nickel packages".

He didn't like where he was on the depth chart and got pissed and left. He won't survive camp.

Yeah, that blurb does make it sound a bit more foreboding than it did 24 hours ago.

If Jimmy does want to get dealt, I don't see it happening. We sunk a #2 in him 2 years ago, and we probably couldn't get any more than 6th or 7th for him, if we were lucky. Just for the reason of saving face, teams don't make those kind of trades where you basically lose 5 rounds of value, at least not until the guy has more than 2 years under his belt.

This is another reason justifying the Hall trade, as it allows you to quickly identify his "clique" of guys. I'd like to see Jimmy come into camp and bust his butt this year. He's a good player methinks that hasn't gotten a fair shake because the past two coaching staffs have looked at him as a special teams player first, and defensive player second.

Profile E-mail