It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boley = impressive
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:44 pm 
Starter
Starter

I loved this pick when we made it this past draft but even I didn't know he was that capable of playing LB in the NFL. He looked great in making his first career start and really it was the first time he ever got extended playing time on D. This kid is an uber-athlete and proved it when he blocked that kick. That was amazing. Really looks like we did a great job drafting this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not so quick to praise Boley. He made 2 great plays (forced fumble and blocked FG) that without them, the Falcons would not have won, but I remember him as being rather invisible the rest of the game those plays withstanding.

I'm not saying he played poorly, and I have to note that this was his first start at SLB (he's played mostly WLB for us), but our defense still sucks. The only positive really is that the play of our LBs didn't really drop off much without Hartwell in there, but then again, how much worse can it get?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:10 pm 
Starter
Starter

I agree with you and am just pointing out he was impressive. He and Brook were not good at all in pass coverage today. I really want to see him play next week. He has a way to go but was still damn impressive today and I think his efforts won the game for us. Because of his turnovers there was a 20-24 point swing in favor of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Unfortunately that position Boley was playing was the one where you line up like a DE in the 4-3 strong package, which is very bad for a speed linebacker like him. Thus he didn't make many plays in the run game, but there is no denying he has explosive playmaking ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:31 pm 
Starter
Starter

That was another thing too, he held his own when he got blocked head on but just couldn't get off all of them but that is something that will come in time. Like I said he has some ways to go but based on what we saw today he could become a great LB. I thought he biltzed extremely well today and disrupted a couple of pass plays. But so did the rest of our LB's too. It really seemed like no matter what we did on D we just sucked. We play soft and they would beat us, if we got up a pressed their WR's they beat us or we got flaged. We just could not stop them.

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He had a great game, I give the guy all the props and thank the refs for not calling him on the 'leapfrog' kick blocking move.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:28 pm 
Starter
Starter

The rule is as long as the player uses their natural ability it is legal. If he uses another player to "leapfrog" it is illegal. On the broadcast of the anouncers of the game they said they checked with both the officals watching the game and some in New York and they both said that it was a legal move by Boley because he used his natural ability to get over the blocker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah and then the announcers went on about how his hand was on someone for balance & they should have thrown the flag. I really miss having Hullinger call our games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:09 pm 
Starter
Starter

Baldinger had his head up his ass the whole game, you cannot balence yourself on something like that with your fingertips. Fact remains that even w/o Boley putting his hand on that guy, he still makes it over him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:00 pm 
Starter
Starter

Baldinger sucked my will to live for nearly the entire game. Between Baldy and Bryan Scott I almost threw my TV out the window. I don't enjoy his 3rd string commentary. I would take Troy Aikman or Chris Collinsworth over him anyday:) Our young guys really stepped in and played well in my opinion. Give them a year or so and we will be good and deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 pm 

FalconAwesome wrote:
Baldinger sucked my will to live for nearly the entire game. Between Baldy and Bryan Scott I almost threw my TV out the window. I don't enjoy his 3rd string commentary. I would take Troy Aikman or Chris Collinsworth over him anyday:) Our young guys really stepped in and played well in my opinion. Give them a year or so and we will be good and deep.

:: smacks FalconAwesome ::

Never say that you'll take Collinsworth over anyone!!! Collinsworth is the consumate ass flake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:07 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah Collinsworth is a definite no, but Aikman would be nice. God anything but the weak announcers we've been suffering through the last few weeks. Why is it we don't have our own announcer anymore? That really makes the game a lot less enjoyable, and when combined with the ridiculous amount of flags throw every game without exception it really is annoying enough to make you want to toss your TV out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
Starter
Starter

I like the Black guy and I think its Moose Johnson w/ Tony Siragosia (or how ever you spell it). I think that is the best line up in football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:20 pm 

Paul Maguire on Sunday Nights has to be the worst announcer ever. He makes Collinsworth and Baldinger look like Einsteins. This past Sunday night he made the comment about Phil Buchanon throwing himself in front of Seattle's FB Leonard Weaver, who is 6-0/251 pounds. Buchanon is 5-10/185, what else is he supposed to do Paul? No way, he could wrap up a guy that outweighs him by 70 pounds. And then the genius at arms Mike Patrick had the nerve to say "Oh, that's one of the reasons he wore out his welcome in Oakland because of what he can't do in run support."

What does a punter from the 1960s know about football today? Nothing. I'm tired of these relics of announcers like Maguire and Madden trying to talk about today's game. I realize football is essentially the same today as it was played then (defense and running the ball still are the most important elements of winning), but let's get some people that played/coached in the modern era (i.e. since 1985), and actually can relate to the modern game. Guys that won't whip it out and start stroking it as soon as Manning, Vick, or Favre hit the field.

I like Aikman, at least you know he has somewhat of a clue of what is going on. I like Moose too. I like Chris Spielman too who does college for ESPN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:01 pm 
Starter
Starter

I believe the black guy I talked about is named Ron Pitts. That team is very good, but by far the worst anouncers are any that work for CBS. They are all horible, hell I would rather listen to Terry Bradshaw (Who I love but can only take so much of him before wanting to pound my head into a wall) for three hours than any of those guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Paul Maguire on Sunday Nights has to be the worst announcer ever

I couldn't agree more. I wrote a big rant last season on the ESPN boards about him and Theismann...whom I can't stand either. Lucky us, he's doing Monday Night Football next season and they are moving Maguire to ESPN MNF Countdown.