It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Run Defense what is the problem is it def line,linebackers ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:58 pm 

The Falcon run defense this year is terrible.What is the problem since the falcon's were great last year at stopping the run? Is it the def line or linebackers? The one common factor from this year to last is we have lavalias starting and jasper isn't on the team.Is this the problem? Coleman is a better pass rusher but the other def tackle needs to be able to stop the run and not get pushed around.If it isn't the def line then the linebackers.We don't have draft this year but I never thought draft was that good.Hartwell couldn't do anything vs the run and now brooking is there and the saints even without Mcalister ran all over the falcon's.

If Babineaux were the answer wouldn't we get a look at him at def tackle since the run defense is poor? I don't think Babineaux can stop the run but this is his 1st year.Jasper wasn't that big of a guy and maybe by adding some weight Babineaxu can stop the run next year.If we can't fix the problem this year do we draft a def tackle or sign a free agent? What free agents are availble?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Injury
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Let's take Hartwell out to the picture for a sec and look at Kerney and Smith. How many sacks did Kerney have at this time last year? It was six or seven I think. Both Kerney and Smith missed some time in preseason. If they are nicked up and are just a second too slow on the rush it will make the difference. How many balls have come out of the QBs hand a spit second before they got there, a number. Also, I have seen them stood up at the ends which isn't good. They have great motors, but if they are playing injured that could be a reason.

Play calling. Ed isn't bringing it like he did last year. I have seen flashes of bitz during a quarter only to go soft and give QBs way too much time to throw. If this is to stop the run it isn't working as they are running through us anyway so why not continue to blitz? Pass defense helps run defense and vice versa. If our Pass D is down this year it could have tipped the scales for our 'overachieving' Run D that we had last year. Our tackling is not as strong as well, not sure why but Brook was hurt in preseason as well *shrug*.

I think the thought line is to get a huge DT and bring him in for the middle, but seeing as our oppenents are running anywhere they want I don't know if that will help, athough it should free up LBs to hunt down runners on the outside.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:13 pm 

I haven't TiVoed any games this year so I haven't been able to review anything. But has anyone else noticed that the big runs usually come when running at Brooking? When he was the SLB they were able to break big runs off his direction (part of the problem was Chauncey Davis). Now that he's in the middle they are breaking them right up the gut. At least with Hartwell in there the traffic pileup was too much to run through.

Usually the backs find a gap in the line and bust loose. The biggest problem is up on the line and the holes that are being made. The second is just plain old poor tackling. There were many instances in the game against New Orleans were we had a back dropped for a loss but they would wiggle away and gain 10 or 12 yards. We have got to wrap up tackles and bring guys down. Because of poor tackling we are losing game breaking plays to the opposing offense and giving them momentum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think the biggest problem is scheme....I don't know for sure how many times in a game we line up in a 4-3 over/under set but it's way to much...whenever we do that we leave a mile wide gap between our DT and DE...that leaves huge lane where a guard and fb can get through to the second level and block our lb's and safeties....Donatell needs to calm down a little bit and perhaps play a little more conservatively in that respect...

Post subject: Brooking
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have noticed some very poor tackling by Brook this season Dirty and I have watched all the games on Tivo. I think he has shown some improvement the last two games and you have to give him so credit for stepping into the middle yesterday as he has never played that position with this defense. Also, the huge middle run yesterday was not his fault it was a picked up blitz with great push from the Saints which left the entire middle of the field open (much like TJs run in the preseason for 90 yards)

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Did that guy just say Brooking has never played MLB for the Falcons? :shock: