It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 6 Breakdown AT Saints (yeah, I know it's severely late)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Before I get started, I asked the question in the chat with Fin as to what is considered a drop by the team. He stated: "If you touch the ball, unless it's a finger-tip grab or the ball gets batted before it gets to you...usually we call that a drop." This is the definition that I have used and will continue to use. Complete hands on it=drop and fingertips aren't.

Okay, moving on. Here's what I saw:

Offense:

Running game: Held in check until the 3rd quarter but it lit up in a big way to help close the deal.

Breakdown of passes:

Vick: 11/23 with 5 bad throws, 4 drops (3 by Dez, 1 by Fin), 2 passes defended, and 1 other. Had the drops been caught this might have been a completely different looking statline. The INT was off of a drop. Granted, the throw was high but Dez was able to get both hands solidly on the ball without too much of a jump.

YTD Drops (13): Dez White (4), Brian Finneran (4), Michael Jenkins (3), Roddy White (1), Alge Crumpler (1).

Sack responsibility: The lone sack goes to Kevin Shaffer.

Pass blocking: Way too much pressure and there was 1 pass batted down at the line by a DT who was being blocked ONE ON ONE by McClure. (So those who don't think centers take DT's 1 on 1 are wrong.) Weiner did not have a good game (was playing hurt), Lehr had a couple of penalties and Forney also had a penalty but had the best day among the group but that doesn't say much today.

Defense:

Run defense wasn't good at all. Looked like a combination of 3 things. First, the o-line going through our d-line and getting to the second level, the LB's. Guards vs. LB's is a size disadvantage that usually gets lost. Second, LB's not hitting the gaps and getting caught in traffic. This works hand in hand with #1. Finally, misjudging gaps. Brooking was caught 2 or 3 times with this. We must start controlling the line better as LB's are getting blocked out of plays. Also, tackling at the LOS or behind was an issue. Several missed tackles by different people, no one was worse than another. Just an overall poor effort.

Pass coverage on WR's was horrid. Very conservative. Played off the ball and short 2 yard passes became 5 and 7 yard catches all day long. I honestly believe this is done because of the inconsistent over the top help as well as inconsistent nickel play.

2 sacks on the day and got decent pressure at times but not enough to cover for the secondary.

Special Teams:

Rossum had two fair catches on punt returns and really didn't have any alternative. Kick off returns were decent. Not outstanding but not poor either.

Koenen kickoffs were okay but inconsistent. 2 went into the EZ, 1 was short, 1 was out of bounds, and 1 was to the 4. Punting was great outside of 1 kick. Averaged 47.3 yards with only 7 return yards. Peterson was perfect on the day (thanks to a penalty). Overall, the kicking game was very good.

Things that really need improvement:

1. Run defense.
3. Take shots deep. Vick has shown he can put it there.
4. We need more depth in the secondary. Rossum won't cut it back there and we need to be more agressive.

Offensive MVP: Warrick Dunn
Defensive MVP: Michael Boley (stripped the ball from Smith causing the fumble, had 7 tackles)
Special Teams MVP: Michael Boley (Key FG block at the half).

Goat of the Week: Dez White and our run Defense

Good news: We had a very mediocre performance and still found a way to win on the road...

Post subject: Cap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks Cap, I always love reading these.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

LOL Yu'lin!!! Yeah, I hope so, gotta take my dog to the vet so that won't help. She pulled up lame Saturday and still won't put weight on it. I'm afraid I may have to call her Jamal Anderson. She's already blown out the left back tire and I think the right one might have gone this time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:01 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Maryland: Thanks! I'll try to be a bit more timely with them...