It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My thoughts on the game
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Just thought I drop my two cents on last nights game....Warrick Dunn is the man...I probably will say this a few more times this year...He found some tiny creases in the Jets defense and turned them into good runs...what I am most impressed with isn't the 60 yard run, I was most impressed with his third and fourth down conversions...the toughness he showed between the tackles...Dunn knew the load would be placed on his shoulders and he responded...our wr's are getting better...they were getting open a pretty fair amount last night against a decent defensive secondary...Vick is killing me...I am usually the first one to jump to his defense but I am rethinking that now...do I want to switch qb's, no, but do I think we will win a lot of games with him playing like he did last night, no....Vick is to nervous or skittish in the pocket...he's holding on to the ball to long...when he does get a reciever open he's throwing behind them or over them...he's pressing to hard...I think the criticism is getting to him...it looks to me that he is just over thinking what he's doing sometimes and then not thinking at all at others...if he could find a happy medium and go out and just play loose I think he'll be fine...I don't care if he only throws for about 180 ypg, so long he can do it with a decent completion percentage and toss a td or two then I think we will be in good shape...he did pretty well against the Eagles, Seahawks, Bills, and what little he played against Minnesota, but these last two games have been horrible...he's gonna have to step it up if we want to win in the post season...

Our defense played a lot better...Martin only had 28 yards rushing...we forced 4 turnovers...Antwaan Lake stepped in and played well, the hit he layed on Martin had me screaming at the TV...Kerney is about 1 step away from a sack more often than not...even though he's not getting sacks he's still pressuring the qb well...our bend don't break defense is nerve racking to watch but it worked out pretty well last night...we need another corner that can come up and hit people...Webster looked hesitant to come up and smack wr's last night...our safety play was a little better...Scott was actually in one a few plays last night...D Williams is the best lb we have on this team right now...Keonen looked pretty good on his kickoffs and his punts we pretty good as well I thought...Rossum looked hesitant a lot last night too...I am not sure if that's because he wasn't feeling 100% or what but he looked hesitant...

overall I wasn't all that happy with the way our offense played...aside from Dunn we didn't do a whole lot well...Dunn carried us again this week...the defense showed that it's opportunistic but we need to get better at tackling, particularly after the catch...

the bye could not have come at a better time....we are banged up in a lot of areas...hopefully Vick will use the off time to work on settling his feet in the pocket and making good reads and smart throws...if we continue to play the way we have the last two weeks we will probably still manage some wins, but at the same time we will lose some close ones too...you have to be able to bury opponents like the Saints and Jets and we were not able to do that...we left a lot of yards and points on the field last night that a truly "good" team would not have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lake was definitely a force out there. Now let's see if he can do the same against a team that doesn't have big trouble at the center position.

You said it, Vick has just been plain out BAD these past 2 weeks. Before, he ranged from slightly below average to average to pretty good, but he's just been nothing better than B-A-D these past two games. Luckily, it's the bye week, and he has time to rest, relax, and get back to the basics.

But if he can't come out against the Dolphins and show a return to his previous form fromt his year, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 pm 

What I really think needs to happen is that Vick needs to be brought back to the planet earth. There is so much hype about him and the team furthers that hype that it has to be getting to his head.

Mora needs to say: "Hey, Mike, your my guy but you have been horrible. We are going to let you sti this one out and give Matt a shot." Let Vick now that he isn't a God and he is as susceptible to losing his job due to poor performance as the next guy. We might lose a game or two but maybe it will kick start Vick.

There is no reason to blindly start a guy that hasn't been performing. I think the Miami game will tell us where things sit. But if we can't have even a quasi-succesful passing game by just running PA's and bootlegs with the running game firing on all cylinders there is something very wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
But if we can't have even a quasi-succesful passing game by just running PA's and bootlegs with the running game firing on all cylinders there is something very wrong.

Well in case you haven't noticed, and judging by attendance you haven't..lol

Seriously though, the defense always has a speedy LB, DB, or even DE waiting for Vick to boot every play these days. Everytime he rolled against the Jets, Bills, and other good D teams they had a guy sprinting into his face. I seriously just want our receivers to start practicing catching the ball & hitting the dirt, thus forcing them to focus on the catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dubs