It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vick's foot work speculation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:18 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i just want to throw this out there. back in 2002 vick had a different system under dan r. but another thing they had going was a lot of qb mentoring reminding vick of fundamental qb mechanics. these days i hear no mention of that, which leads me to speculate they don't focus at all on vick's mechanics at all, letting him 'do his thing'. i've heard qb coaches say that passing starts with the feet, how they must be set and have equal weight distribution to get the best pass (even in madden nfl the qb passes better if you hold a moment to let him set his feet before you pass). actually ironicaly the same holds true for shooting a basketball. if u do either leaning on one foot accuracy drops dramatically. 2002 he was a much better passer. was it the system? how does a different system suddenly make you inaccurate as a passer? a system doesn't make a qb throw the football five feet over the head of a wr, it's throwing off his back foot. it's mechanics. somebody go to a game and tell vick to set his feet when he throws from the damn pocket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:01 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Now, I havent heard about it in a while...but thats all Knapp used to talk about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:22 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, I really stopped paying a lot of attention to Vick's footwork back in 2003 when he got hurt. I know it was something that the team really stressed last year, but to be devil's advocate, I guess they don't feel it's a major concern anymore.

But what little I do notice of Vick's footwork, I don't really see any huge problems with it. He won't be starring in an instrutional video a la Joe Montana, but I think his mechanics/footwork are good enough. It might seem naive, but if Knapp and Mike Johnson saw something in his mechanics/footwork that was wrong and contributing to his inaccuracy, I would both hope and expect them to take the appropriate steps to change it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
but if Knapp and Mike Johnson saw something in his mechanics/footwork that was wrong and contributing to his inaccuracy, I would both hope and expect them to take the appropriate steps to change it.

Maybe, maybe not. Mora is on record of saying they don't want Vick to think too much back there, just be himself. If Vick is thinking footwork, WCO, ball position and so-on, he may not be able to function. They just want him to be himself, bad footwork and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:28 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

with a change of systems it seems that a qb would make more bad decisions versus bad passes. in fact as time progresses, regardless of the system, shouldn't a qbbecome a more accurate passer? at least in theory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

buddyboy wrote:
with a change of systems it seems that a qb would make more bad decisions versus bad passes. in fact as time progresses, regardless of the system, shouldn't a qbbecome a more accurate passer? at least in theory?

Yeah unless his receivers are dropping even more passes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The_Incomparable wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

You make it sound like we are the only team to drop passes. If Vick put it on the numbers time and time again, you have a reason to bitch. He doesn't. Drops piss me off as well, but they happen to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
The_Incomparable wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

You make it sound like we are the only team to drop passes. If Vick put it on the numbers time and time again, you have a reason to bitch. He doesn't. Drops piss me off as well, but they happen to everyone.

Give it a rest. Every team has drops? You have to be blind, deaf, & dumb to not see the absurd amount of drops the Falcons have. I don't go by some stupid website's numbers, I watch the game & know the difference between a catchable pass and a misfire. I mean the fact you would even try this argument makes me wonder if you even see the games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The_Incomparable wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
The_Incomparable wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

Give it a rest. Every team has drops? You have to be blind, deaf, & dumb to not see the absurd amount of drops the Falcons have. I don't go by some stupid website's numbers, I watch the game & know the difference between a catchable pass and a misfire. I mean the fact you would even try this argument makes me wonder if you even see the games?

Okay Madden. I didn't realize we were seeing you on Monday Nights. Forgive our ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

did any of you guys watch the game and hear dick stockton and moose talk about footwork like in the first five minutes of the game? stockton goes off on how footwork is the most important part of the qb's passing game and mentions how that previous week mora was harping about it, which would be the first time i heard anything about qb footwork in the mora era. it makes me think they saw something or something was said and did some work on it, because uncoincidentally vick's accuracy was great today. i watched his feet and legs and noticed he was setting his feet and actually leaning forward on his passes a little which is good versus leaning on the back foot which creates high passes. quite the synchronicity that it gets brought up this week and then in the game as well, plus the good passing!