Chauncey Davis, Questionable

Green Bay
Corey Williams, Out
Tony Fisher, Doubtful
Robert Ferguson, Questionable
David Martin, Questionable
Chad Clifton, Probable
Mike Flanagan, Probable

Anyone else think Brady Smith retires at the end of this season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

did u see brady on the sideline when new orleans was running all over us? he was screaming and exhorting like a madman, obviously pissed off. and he was the only one that i saw. he had more passion than all those young guys put together. i don't see him retiring because i think he loves to play and feels he's still got some juice left

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:05 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Green Bay

Ahman Green, IR
Najeh Davenport, IR
Javon Walker, IR

Ouch. I feel bad for that team. Not only do they have so many serious injuries, but the guys that are still around have to deal with Favre's stupid BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:24 pm 

buddyboy wrote:
did u see brady on the sideline when new orleans was running all over us? he was screaming and exhorting like a madman, obviously pissed off. and he was the only one that i saw. he had more passion than all those young guys put together. i don't see him retiring because i think he loves to play and feels he's still got some juice left

Whimpering into the sunset like Travis Hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:08 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I have to say that I believe Brady is more important to our pass rush's effectiveness than most folks think. The last game without him is a case in point. We didn't touch Ferotte at all the entire game. Kerney and Coleman never penetrated the backfield, and no one made any significant plays behind the LOS. Of course we didn't blitz either, so we were not necessarily trying to get a ton of pressure on Gus. I think had Brady been in there, we would have had lots more pressure on Ferotte. He brings a balance to our DL that spreads the opposing OL thin and enables our other big guns to make plays. When you have fewer threats to account for, you can more easily manage the existing ones. I would definitely understand if McKay lets Brady go after this season, but our DL will not be as effective unless we can sign/draft someone of similar or better quality to Brady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:50 pm 

I'm still chalking up our in ability to sack Gussy on the offense Miami used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah the Dolphins line did a pretty good job, but Linehan designed an offense that wanted to get the ball out of Gus' hands as soon as possible. I don't think Chambers ran a route that was longer than 10 yards all game long.

As for Brady, in the 5 games he's started this year, the Falcons average 3.6 sacks per game. In the 3 he has not, it's only 2 sacks per game. But remember that stat is really swelled by a 9-sack performance vs. the Vikings.

The run defense really has struggled and it seems that having a healthy Brady isn't making much of a difference:

Opponent Rushing

Brady's 5 starts: 110 carries for 503 yards (4.57 avg)
Other 3 games: 94 carries for 440 yards (4.60 avg).

The only difference is that teams tend to run less when Brady starts, but it's not like their overall success has much difference. But he's something to note:

In the 3 games Brady did not play in, opponents averaged more than 4 yards per carry in all of them. In 3 of the 5 games he did start, they averaged under 4 yards per carry. It would seem then that the Saints game where they averaged 6.6 yards per carry really swells those statistics. So I guess, then Brady does make some sort of a difference when he plays in run defense.

Profile E-mail