It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chiefs RB Priest Holmes to retire as early as tommorow?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Source: NBC Affiliate in KC [ Full Article ]

At 10 PM Central NBC News led off with a story about news on RB Priest Holmes. Jack Harry, Sports Director for that station reported that he spoke with two higher sources within the Chiefs organization and they have said that Priest Holmes indeed may retire as early as tomorrow. In Florida today, Holmes was getting a 3rd opinion on the hit he took from SD DE Shawn Merriman two weeks ago. Apparently what has been found is a lump on or within Priest's spine and if he were to take one more big hit, he could face paralysis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:57 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

There has been talk for a while now that Priest Holmes would retire soon based on off-field options. I've heard he would go the route of Napoleon Kaufman and become a preacher, but I'm not sure how true that is.

It's one of the reasons why the Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson. It's a shame if this is true, and injuries cost Holmes the rest of his career. He is a player like Dunn, that didn't get a ton of work early in his career, so he's been able to have his best years at age 32.

It would seem that he's another name to add to the list of guys that have had career-threatening injuries this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:15 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I guess it's hard to figure out what the heck is going on there.

Quote:
Chiefs | Team Denies Holmes Injury Career-ending
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:53:46 -0800

Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs director of public relations Bob Moore said the team will not have any updates on RB Priest Holmes (head, shoulder) until sometime Wednesday, Nov. 9. However, he noted he does not think Holmes' injury is career-ending. Moore denied a report that Holmes may retire due to a spinal injury. Holmes' agent, Todd France, was unavailable for comment, but someone within his organization disputed the report and said suggestions of Holmes retiring soon were inaccurate. However, no one is discounting the possibility Holmes may be out an extended period of time, perhaps the remainder of the 2005 season.

Phinfever Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:30 pm 

I did hear someone quote Priest Holmes saying that in todays game a 32 year old has no place being a runningback in the NFL. With a comment like that I think it is safe to say that Priest will be retiring. He certainly had a good run when he had the chance but injuries did end his career too soon. Shame he got stuck as a backup in Baltimore so long.