It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 9 Game Breakdown AT Miami Dolphins
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:19 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Here's what I saw:

Offense:

Running game: Dunn was good in spurts but pretty much held in check. Griffith was effective in spelling Dunn. Vick didn't run as much today unless he was pressured.

Breakdown of passes:

Vick: 22/31 with 5 bad throws, 2 passes defended, 1 drop (Finn in endzone) and 1 other. Great performance by Vick and our wide receivers. We saw quick passes and YAC. If Vick and the WR's can do this consistently then we will be where we need to be. 228 passing yards isn't a gaudy number but the efficiency of the passing game is what is important and this was as efficient as it could possibly be.

YTD Drops (19): Brian Finneran (6), Michael Jenkins (4), Dez White (4), Alge Crumpler (3), Roddy White (1), Warrick Dunn (1).

Sack responsibility: Three sacks in this game. Dunn missed a block causing the first one by Keith Traylor. On the second, Shaffer allowed pressure causing Vick to step up in the pocket but Crump didn't hold his block and allowed the sack. Dunn misses cut block on Jason Taylor and Weiner didn't pick him up and allowing the sack.

Pass blocking: Dunn had problems blocking as did our tackles at times. The interior was pretty solid except for a couple of pressures. I don't think it was as good as Mora said when he said "Vick really didn't get hit." Yes, he did get hit. Perhaps those hits didn't take a toll on Vick but he did get hit and pressured way too much for my liking.

Defense:

Run defense wasn't very good at all and way too many 5+ yard runs. There was a lot of overpursuit, poor tackling and just getting blocked out of plays. I'm really starting to believe that Scott's confidence is shot as he seems scared to lay a hit anymore.

Pass coverage is pretty much the same as it has been. We gave up a lot of short stuff in order to stop the big play and we did that as Frerotte only had 103 yards.

Pass rush: Not a lot of pressure on Frerotte at all but as Mora said, the Dolphins just don't give up sacks. I don't think Donatell schemed to get sacks and instead planned around the given fact that the Dolphins just don't allow them.

Special Teams:

Rossum had three kickoff returns, 1 for 33, 1 for 16 and 1 for 23. That's 1 good return, 1 mediocre and 1 bad. Overall, mediocre. On punt returns: 6 punts, 1 fair catch, 2 returns: 1 for 1 yard, 1 botched and 3 punts not fielded. Awful day punt returning. Hopefully Rossum gets it together this week.

Koenen's kickoffs were very good. 2 went into the EZ (1 touchbacks), 1 was to the 7, 1 was to the 8. Very nice kick coverage limiting return yardage. Koenen's punting was off. He had 1 great punt and 2 short ones. He definitely has the leg but needs to work on consistency.

Peterson hit his extra points and the chip shot field goal.

Two things I question:

1. In the drive just before the first half why did we throw deep on 3rd and 4? We could have easily gotten into FG range.

2. On 4th and 2 why run Dunn up middle? That play wasn't effective in this game and should have probably been a playaction pass or at minimum Griffith up the middle. I'm still not certain why we didn't kick the 49 yard field goal to make it a 2 possession game either.

Things that really need improvement:

1. Run defense.

3. Develop the killer instinct. Blowouts are allowed but we can't seem to manage one. This was a game that should have been over at halftime.

Offensive MVP: Michael Vick
Defensive MVP: Chad Lavalais (batted down a ball or two and had 5 tackles)
Special Teams MVP: Ike Reese with 2 tackles.

Goat of the Week: Allen Rossum

Good news: The passing game looked great and we are 6-2 halfway through the season!

Week 10: Vs. Green Bay Packers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:57 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Great analysis. I was very happy with the offense. The run game still managed 150+ yards. The efficiency was impressive in the passing game.

Results: 13 minutes time of possession. A good win.

Definitely need to learn to put teams away. A better team might have forced the comeback (I don't trust the defense against a more balanced team).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:59 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Thanks and welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:23 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Scott trying not to lay a hit on ROnnei Brown shows some improvement in his game. At least he's getting smarter, because there's no way he could bring Brown down with a body shot. He'd have to Chris Gamble him.

I'm not ready to throw Scott under the bus yet or give up on him. He's still adjusting to being the leader of the secondary. He's making the calls, and he's playing the more disciplined position of FS. He's going to get better, and his improvement will only come sooner if the Falcons get another quality safety back there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Capologist wrote:
I'm really starting to believe that Scott's confidence is shot as he seems scared to lay a hit anymore.

Part of Scott's problem maybe his shoulder as well. He's coming off of major shoulder surgery and if anyone's evr had one knows it takes a while to heal. Especially when you have to lower it into a NFL running back with bad intentions....