It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Improvements for next year after Philly loss what to do?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:29 pm 

A hard loss today against the Eagles maybe Philly can finally shutup that they never won the NFC Championship.Today's loss once again showed what the falcon's lack and what needs to be improved for next year.What kinds of improvements do the falcon's need to beat Philly who again will be stronger with Terrell Owens?

1.The defense played as hard as they could but a few glaring things stand out that need to be improved.First get another safety Corey Hall didn't do anything.Draft one in the second round.Second the pass rush had problems getting to Mcnabb why was that? Philly's off line reminded me of the chiefs game where they were so much bigger that it rendered the def line to average.A def lineman that can beat bigger linemen is needed.I don't think the defense was the down fall of the game for the falcon's.Another thing by not getting to mcnabb philly's 3rd down conversion killed the falcon's.Anytime the falcon's defense had philly in a hole philly would sqweeze another first down.Finally,another corner is needed.Having Mathis out cost us and shows the lack of depth at the position the falcon's have.

1.Safety
2.Def linemen
3.Corner

Offense,did a terrible job all day.Was this a surprise,no since going up against a quality defense has been the one thing I had my doubts all year about if the falcon's could move the ball.There are very few defenses that are quality in the NFC and beating teams like the Rams,Saints etc etc is not going to show how good this offense is since those are poor defenses.You have to meassure yourself against the top notch defenses. Vick looked bad today passing and I wonder if he does have the capability of hitting the open receiver.There are to many passes that are not close to a receviver.Offense line they can run block but are poor at pass blocking the falcon's need improvements here.Second,cut peerless price he is taking time from Jenkins.I know it will hurt the falcon's in the cap but he is just useless on the field.Try to find another recevier that is capable of running good routes.Look at New England they seem to get receivers off a junk pile and make the good receviers.

The Falcon's proved today you can not have a one dimenisional offense to win against good teams.It finally came back to haunt the falcon's and improvements are needed on offense.

1.tackle
2.guard
3.receiver
4.cut price start jenkins

I knew the falcon's had deficientcies and today it came back to haunt them.The offense today let the team down.We can;t fix everything but getting a tackle and guard should certainly be done.Winning with mirrors running the ball 75% of the time most chamionship teams can't win like that.I don't know if the falcon's can find a good route running recevier but maybe someone will become available.The defense needs improvements especially at safety,a corner and def end.I would not mind a big def tackle that can engulf the other teams linemen and completely shut the middle off on the run.

The Falcon's can build on this and remember how it feels losing to Philly the seoncd time in four years.I hope Mckay goes out and gets some help for the falcon's so maybe we can face philly in our house and see if philly can win a road game for once.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:48 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

thescout wrote:
Second the pass rush had problems getting to Mcnabb why was that? Philly's off line reminded me of the chiefs game where they were so much bigger that it rendered the def line to average.A def lineman that can beat bigger linemen is needed.

Well I do agree that the pass rush needs to improved next year, but I think whether the team racked up 12 sacks or none against the Eagles today, it still would have been a need. McNabb is the 2nd most elusive QB in the NFL (next to Vick of course), so I don't fault the D-linemen for missing tackles. Most players miss him. Although he is not as elusive as Vick (mostly due to poor speed), I think McNabb does outperform Vick when it comes to finding more time in the pocket and being able to make the throws downfield.

If you run the 4-3 defense, you really need to have at least 6 starting-caliber players up front (3 at DE, 3 at DT). Right now we have 4 (our starters of course). Lavalais could become #5, but he's still got some room to grow before I can say he's in the same league as Jasper & Coleman. I think next year he should be better since he should be quicker and lighter, reminiscent of his LSU days. He needs to get down in the 290-295 weight range.

But we do need another DE. If we don't dump Smith this off-season, then this team needs to get another quality DE int he draft or free agency. At the very least, someone that can spell Smith on passing downs and still be able to rack up 6-8 sacks per year.

I do think we need to add another DT to the rotation since COleman and Jasper aren't very durable and can't go 16 games without injury. As I said, Lavalais isn't quite there, and Lake's play really tailed off after the first few weeks to the point that he was non-existent down the stretch.

thescout wrote:
Vick looked bad today passing and I wonder if he does have the capability of hitting the open receiver.There are to many passes that are not close to a receviver.Offense line they can run block but are poor at pass blocking the falcon's need improvements here.Second,cut peerless price he is taking time from Jenkins.

Vick is still young, and he will continue to make mistakes. He's never going to be a top notch passer. People always say that he's going to be the next McNabb, but I really don't see Vick ever being in McNabb's caliber as a passer. That's not to say Vick won't be good, but he just won't ever IMO be mentioned in the same breath as Top 5 QBs in this league (as McNabb is) when it comes to throwing the football. I say that because he has always relied on his legs to give him the upper hand since the day he began to play football, and you just can't "unteach" something so natural to him.

I agree that the offensive line needs to be improved. BUt I think we need to focus most on the interior. When teams get good push in the middle of the line, I think is where our passing offense struggles the most, because it cuts off Vick's vital running/throwing lanes. LG is a major hole and we have no one there that looks like a viable NFL starter. At least in Shaffer and Weiner, we have gotten quality performance from them for at least 8 games in a season, so we know they are at least capable of stepping up their game.

I agree that Price has been a major disappointment, and all the red flags we saw in him at Buffalo have proved true. He's just not capable of being a #1 target. But I don't think we need to cut him right now. Despite's Price's continual poor performance, I still think he's the best receiver we have right now, and unless we can swing a blockbuster trade or nab Mike Williams in Round 1, then it would be a costly mistake to cut him, since our passing offense would only get worse without him. I think if we can add another quality #2 receiver (White and Finneran are not that), then we will see Price's performance improve. He won't become a Pro Bowler, but he should be a bit more productive and have a bigger impact on games.

Despite our success this year, we are far from a complete football team. Our defense played excellent this year, but I still wouldn't put them in the same class as the Panthers or Bucs in our division. We need to add more talent on that side of the ball.

We shouldn't get complacent. These past two years have been down years for the NFC, and there are a lot of good teams that have just basically underachieved in that span, and if those teams would get their acts together it could knock the Falcons off the top. Basically, we shouldn't be of the mindset that we need a few fixes before we can be a Super Bowl team. The Eagles are much more talented and consistent football team across the board (except maybe RB and LB), and we just aren't there yet.

I just think McKay still needs to be in the mindset this off-season that we are still in rebuilding mode.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:42 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

you guys are right but has there ever been a team that has had this much change in one year and done what they have done ?

new GM Head Coach Coaching staff

play calling

and many many new players

we do have things that must happen i agree but i feel very good

about where we are

Vick is growin

what are his stats compaired to McNabb and others at their first few years

in the leag

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:34 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

My thoughts are about 3 Microsoft word pages long...lol

Check out my new Red Zone article when it's updated. Sneak preview: It'll sum up who the free agents are and what to possibly expect...