All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BRUCE CAMPBELL
6-7/310
Maryland Junior

PROS: Is a good athlete that shows good potential with his footwork. Moves well and shows ability to block on the second level. Is quick off the snap and shows good pop in the running game. Has a nice mean streak.
CONS: Needs to improve his footwork and technique. Tends to slide his feet. Will set up too wide and can get beat by a quick inside counter move. Lacks ideal power and strength as a drive blocker. Is not that natural when blocking on the move.
OVERVIEW: His athleticism, size, and strength gives him potential to be a top left tackle at the next level. But his technique is raw, and he's more upside right now than substance. He's also had to battle with injuries.
NFL FORECAST: He can be a top blocker at the next level, but I'm not sure he's quite NFL ready in that he can come in right away and make an impact. He could get by as a rookie, but I think he would have probably as many bad games as he did good ones. If he is developed for a year, then I think he could be ready. Eventually, with more polished technique, he can be one of the better left tackles in the league. But despite his athleticism, I'm not confident he can be an elite blocker. But he has the potential to be a good two-way blocker. If he can bulk up some, I think it would definitely help him in the ground game, where I think he could contribute fairly quickly. His pass protection is going to probably be the main concern his first few years, since he'll need to play with more consistent technique.
ATL FORECAST: Campbell isn't a great fit for the Falcons since he's a better fit on the left side than right. He can play the right and his issues in pass protection won't be as glaring, but he'd probably need to get significantly stronger there in order to be an upgrade over Clabo. He likely would have to sit the bench his first year as he gets stronger. And if the Falcons opt not to keep Clabo beyond this year, he would definitely be an option there. But he's not really a natural right tackle.
VALUE: Campbell's rawness means he probably should be an early second round pick, but because of his upside and the high premium on left tackles, then he's not a reach in the latter part of the first round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.5
PASS BLOCKING: 3.0
RUN BLOCKING: 3.5
FOOTWORK: 3.5
TECHNIQUE: 2.5
MOBILITY: 3.0
MEAN STREAK: 3.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland
Height: 6'6
Weight: 314
40 Time: 4.85
Projected: 2nd

Positives:

- Prototypical LT frame
- Long arms
- Very athletic
- Quick off the snap
- Natural knee bender
- Has the ability to mirror speed rushers
- Athletic to get to the second level
- Moves his feet well to keep the edge
- Has a lot of potential

Negatives:

- Very inexperienced
- Extremely raw technique
- Doesn't get a push in the run game
- Needs to do a better job of keeping his feet moving
- Drops back too far in pass pro. and is susceptible to inside moves
- Struggles to adjust to counter moves
- Terrible blocker when in the open field
- Lunges at players and rarely makes contact
- Has bad balance when run blocking
- Falls on the ground way too much when run blocking
- Not overly strong and can get pushed back by a bull rush
- Lacks a mean streak
- Overall needs a lot of work before he can be successful in the NFL

Overview:

Bruce Campbell is your typical boom or bust pick. Similar to Jason Pierre-Paul but on the offensive side of the ball. He is very athletic and blew away the competition at the combine in drills. However, this does not translate on the playing field. He is very raw and needs a lot of work on his technique. I can't see him having much, or any, success in the NFL if a team drafts him hoping that he will be able to start from Day 1. He needs to work with a good OL coach as well as work on getting stronger and finishing his blocks. That said, a team will take him higher then his play would indicate because of his potential and athleticism. He is not worthy of a 1st rounder in my opinion.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.0
PASS BLOCKING: 3.5
RUN BLOCKING: 2.5
FOOTWORK: 3.5
TECHNIQUE: 2.0
MOBILITY: 3.5
MEAN STREAK: 2.5

Profile E-mail