It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:14 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Pretty good size and decent strength. Pretty long arms and alright hand usage. A lot of starting experience.

Cons: Pretty poor technique. Reaches frequently, does not maintain his balance well as a run or pass blocker, also does not sustain blocks as well as he should. He seems to bend at the waist at times, and has very little lateral agility. He doesn’t look comfortable or fluid in his kick slide, and struggles mightily against speed rushers. Struggles to maintain good leverage as a pass blocker, and struggles when asked to pull or cut block, and does not look comfortable in space at all. He has no chance of succeeding at LT in the NFL, and may even struggle to start at RT.

Overall: Ulatoski’s draft stock has plummeted this year and with good reason, he just isn’t a very good NFL OT prospect. He struggles mightily with speed rushers and has regularly demonstrated below average technique for the position as a run blocker and especially as a pass blocker. He lacks the lateral agility to be an effective pass protector at LT and will even have issues as a pass blocker at RT in the NFL. At best he will be a backup RT in the NFL if he can develop and improve his technique so that he doesn’t reach, bends at the knees and not at his waist, etc. At worst he will move inside to guard and struggle mightily with the transition and maybe not even remain in the NFL. He will be asked to pull regularly, combo block, get to the second level and hit a moving target, and block stronger players that will take advantage of his balance issues and problems with leverage. That will pose significant issues for him, and those are issues that I’m not sure he will be able to overcome. I will be surprised if he is drafted.

Projection: Late 6th-UDFA: He does not project well to LT at all, his ceiling as a RT is a back-up given some development and if he moves inside to guard I think he will struggle to adjust because he is not mobile enough to pull with great success and isn’t strong enough to be an effective drive blocker against stronger defensive tackles. He will either get picked very late or get an invite to camp as a UDFA, but it will be an uphill battle for him to stick with a NFL team unless they need depth badly on the offensive line.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.0
PASS BLOCKING: 1.5
RUN BLOCKING: 2.5
FOOTWORK: 1.5
TECHNIQUE: 1.5
MOBILITY: 1.5
MEAN STREAK: 2.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

ADAM ULATOSKI
6-6/302
Texas Senior
40: 5.52

PROS: Shows good mean streak, driving defender to the ground and does a nice job finishing his blocks. Shows some pop as a run blocker and can get position in the running game. Flashes potential to be a drive blocker. Shows mobility, can pull and block on the second level. Shows some ability to adjust in space when he's blocking on the move. Initiates contact with defender in pass protection.
CONS: Has poor feet and technique in pass protection. Slow off snap and struggles matching up with speed on the edge, and is too easily beat by inside counter move because he doesn't adjust well in space. Opens up his stance too early, is a waist bender and overextends trying to deliver punch. Needs to get his hands up more quickly into his set and improve his handplacement. Needs to get stronger as a run blocker and can't consistently lock on and get push.
OVERVIEW: Spent the past two years as a starter at left tackle, after startin 16 games his first two seasons on the right side. He fits well in Texas zone-blocking scheme, and he's never asked to hold his blocks all that long because of Colt McCoy's ability to get the ball out quickly.
NFL FORECAST: Ulatoski doesn't stand a chance on the left side at the next level, at least not as a starter. He could fare much better if he moves back to right tackle. He needs to bulk up to be a better fit there, but if he was to add 10-15 pounds I think he could be a nice option in a zone-blocking line. He's limited as a starter, but his mean streak is good enough where I think he can make an NFL roster as a reserve. As he adds strength, he shoudl be able to improve. His experience playing both tackle spots mean he can be a decent reserve option in a pinch. And I think he'll have the time to add mass and improve his technique where he won't be completely lost on the left side in a pinch. BUt if he's asked to start more than a game or two there, he'll be exposed. He could also potentially play guard if he was to bulk up, as he does flash some ability to work in a short-area, and his athletic limitations will be less exposed there. I can see him playing several years in the pros as a backup, but would be limited as a starter.
ATL FORECAST: I think he has enough mean streak where he could potentially make the Falcons roster as a rookie, or at least their practice squad. And if he were to bulk up with that year under his belt, has a chance to earning a reserve spot in his second summer, especially since the Falcons don't seem married to any of their reserve tackles long-term. He could be an option as a long-term depth to play both guard and tackle spots, which I'm sure will help him with the coaching staff as they like cross-trained players. He's not a threat to start, but who knows in four or five years he might be developed enough where he is a decent stopgap starter at guard.
VALUE: He's good enough to make an NFL roster, so a team could take a flyer on him in the seventh round, but he's not a lock so it's better if they were to get him as an undrafted free agent.

Profile E-mail