All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chris Cook, CB/S, Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Chris Cook
6-2/212
Virginia Senior

PROS: Does a nice job coming up to defend the run on the edge and takes good angles to the football. Wraps up and occasionally will lower the shoulder to deliver hit to ballcarrier. Has experience working in zone coverage and does a nice job keeping things in front of him. Works well in press coverage. Has some ability as a kickoff returner.
CONS: Doesn't appear to have the ideal hips and burst to project well in man coverage. Isn't a great tackler. Lacks ideal burst and acceleration to be a big play threat as a returner.
OVERVIEW: An oversized corner that is a bit of a tweener. Broke his leg as a freshman, missing half of that year. Became a starter as a sophomore. Then had a knee injury that cost him a few games as a junior. He then missed the entire next year with academic issues, but bounced back this past year with 4 interceptions and 6 pass breakups.
NFL FORECAST: Cook has a chance to stick at both corner and safety, but most guys with his size and skills tend to struggle at corner, but play better at safety as pros. Corey Chavous is a good example of this. And I think Cook projects best as a free safety in most schemes. He could work as a press corner in many schemes that gets a lot of help over the top from safeties. But his upside there isn't that high, and he's probably just a third corner there. INstead at safety, he shows the ability to be a capable starter down the road. I don't think he'll ever be a great tackling safety, but seems to show the instincts and ability to make a fairly smooth conversion there. It may take him a year or two to adjust, but that's really no different than anybody coming into the league. I think he has a chance to be an above average to good starting safety for some team.
ATL FORECAST: Cook would provide size the Falcons want at cornerback, but not sure he is going to be anything more than a fourth corner given the current state of the depth chart. Instead, he'd project better at safety in Atlanta, but there isn't a lot of room to contribute since I don't think he'll be as natural there as DeCoud. He would make a nice backup, but his value to the Falcons is little more than a big, fast special teams player.
VALUE: Cook is a nice mid-round pick. Because of his tweener status, I'd be reluctant to take him before the fourth round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
MAN COVERAGE: 2.5
ZONE COVERAGE: 3.0
TACKLING: 3.0
BALL SKILLS: 2.5

Profile E-mail