Dwight Freeney to visit!!!

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Pudge
Site Admin

Dwight Freeney to visit!!!

Postby Pudge » Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Freeney was the guy I wanted the Falcons to sign in 2013 to replace Abe. This has been a long time coming. Don't screw this up Falcons!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... next-week/

Dwight Freeney expects to visit Falcons next week

Posted by Josh Alper on May 25, 2016, 2:47 PM EDT

Dwight Freeney is in Cincinnati on Wednesday to meet with the Bengals, but it doesn’t look like that will be the end of his search for a home for the 2016 season.

Jim Trotter of ESPN reports that Freeney told him that he expects to visit with the Falcons next week.

The Falcons came into the offseason with a need to boost the pass rush provided by their front seven. They signed linebacker Courtney Upshaw and defensive end Derrick Shelby, drafted a couple of linebackers and are moving Vic Beasley from defensive end to linebacker.

Freeney had eight sacks in 11 games after signing with the Cardinals during the 2015 season. That led Arizona and it would have led Atlanta by a comfortable margin — Beasley topped the team with four sacks — which makes Freeney the kind of established pass rushing threat that the Falcons still don’t have on hand for the coming season.

Pudge
Site Admin

Freeney coming tomorrow

Postby Pudge » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Freeney coming tomorrow. Not gonna work him out but I guess just "meet" with him.

I hope the Falcons sign him.

Pudge
Site Admin

Re: Dwight Freeney to visit!!!

Postby Pudge » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:00 pm

No signing. :cry: :cry:

Hoping the Falcons revisit re-signing him before training camp. From this series of tweets found in the linked article, it looks like Freeney is in no rush to make a decision on what team he'll play for this year.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football ... alcons_sfp

SmorgasBorgnine

Postby SmorgasBorgnine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I have to wonder if all these visits followed by no signing could hurt the team with future free agents. Minimal impact this year, but when free agency opens next season, perhaps the team will have a reputation of "kicking tires but not making offers" that will turn off the guys that have interest from multiple teams.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

I think Falcons being mediocre will be a bigger deterrent. I think that's why we lost out on a number of FAs this year (Travis Benjamin, Jerrell Freeman, Danny Trevathan, George Iloka, etc.). This team won't be a destination again until they start winning more games.

Not to mention, all 3 of the players that we've kicked the tires with so far (Leon Hall, Brandon Boykin and Dwight Freeney) had significant factors that likely led to us not signing them, not cuz we were hesitant to pull the trigger. Hall has a back issue, Boykin a hip, and Freeney is just so old that he has no intention of going through OTAs and probably would prefer to miss at least half of training camp. So I think in hindsight, I don't think anybody is gonna hold it against us that we didn't sign these guys.

Return to “The Huddle”