It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2010 Scouting Open Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If you've paid attention to my big board, you've seen that I've added some players and changed some players grades.

This weekend I watched the Arkansas-Auburn game, along with two UConn games (vs. Louisville & West Virginia), as well as the LSU-Florida, Iowa-Michigan, Indiana-Ohio State, and Cincinnati-USF, so that now my DVR is only full of games from the past two weekends.

I'll talk about some of the prospects that stood out in those games.

For UConn, not a lot to love. RB Jordan Todman is a good runner, but probably destined to be a 3rd down back and situational guy rather than a featured back. Don't think he has the power, size, or durability to be more than a 5-10 carry guy at the next level. FB Anthony Sherman is a decent lead blocker, but nothing special. He's a guy that will likely spend the first 2-3 years of his career playing mostly special teams rather than being an impact lead blocker. OLB Lawrence Wilson is fast and athletic, but doesn't play with good awareness or instincts. He's miscast as the MLB in UConn's defense for those reasons, but he has a chance to develop down the road as a starting WLB in a 4-3 scheme. But I think he and Scott Lutrus might be hurt by the vanilla-ness of UConn's defensive scheme, since they rarely seem to be in positions to make plays.

I'm liking Louisville's prospects, whic. RB Bilal Powell is becoming one of my favorites. I don't think he'll be a great NFL running back, but he runs hard, plays with good pad level and balance, and has nice combo of power and speed. He reminds me of a slighter version of Jason Snelling, and I think can be a starter if he finds himself in the right situation, but more than likely will be a very good complementary back/No. 2 guy. QB Adam Froman flashes tools to think he could be a decent No. 2 QB down the road. TE Cameron Graham is a solid player with good hands, and is a capable blocker. He could make a nice No. 2 inline tight end or H-back in most schemes. CB Johnny Patrick isn't anything special, but he coudl be a nice starter in the right scheme, which is probably one that likes its corners to play a lot of press zone.

Noel Devine doesn't look like the same guy I saw last year that reminded me a bit of Warrick Dunn. Part of that may be due to the toe injury he apparently suffered earlier int he year. BUt this season has opened my eyes to the fact that he's probably only going to be a limited role player in the pros that will make most of his impact as a kickoff returner. But I do like his ability as a third down back because he is a very willing blocker and doesn't back down from taking on defenders that outweigh him by 50+ pounds.

Drake Nevis' performance vs. Florida bumped him to the top of my defensive tackle rankings. I think I like him better than Fairley and Casey at this point, because I think Nevis can play and be an impact defender in a variety of techniques, not just the three-technique like those other two. I also think his motor is a bit more consistent and runs higher than those two guys do. Disappointed with Florida OC Mike Pouncey. The Gators struggled with LSU's blitzes throughout the game, and from what I saw last year, a lot of that responsibility falls on the center. I think he'll have to move back to guard at the next level, and will only be an emergency center. But I think his athleticism will still make him an effective starter, but didn't quite see the ability to dominate in a short-area that his brother Maurkice had that makes me think he'll be as good a pro. I do like Florida LT Marcus Gilbert a bit, although like LSU LT Joseph Barksdale, I think he'll have to move to the right side in the pros. Although I'm not sure Barksdale will be able to stay outside. Both are guys that I think teams should target as backups that develop down the road. LSU SS Brandon Taylor is a guy that I'm liking, although he's still young and probably needs another year of seasoning. But like many a LSU safety, he's fast and rangy, and if he can get a bit bigger and be less prone to making mental mistakes in the secondary, I think he has a chance of sticking as a starter in the NFL. Florida has a nice group of safeties as well. FS Will Hill is the better pro prospect that like Taylor has good speed and range. He too is a junior. Ahmad Black is a nice prospect, but I don't think has the size to match up well at the next level. He's more a guy that I think will make a good backup safety, but be overmatched as a starter. Florida has a bunch of guys in their front seven that will get opportunities at the next level. DT Lawrence Marsh looks like he can make a nice backup DE in a 3-4 scheme. He plays the run well, but isn't an impact defender. DT Terron Sanders looked the best in the LSU game among the group, showing some quickness upfield and a nice motor. He looks like he can make a good No. 4 guy in a rotation in a 4-3 scheme.

I liked QB Ricky Stanzi for Iowa. He really looks comfortable running Iowa's offense now and doesn't make the mistakes that he was prone to do last year. I think he's a game manager type that is good enough to come in right away, stick as a No. 2 and then in a few years become a halfway decent starter. DE Adrian Clayborn has never been an NFL prospect that I've been hugely high on. He's a talented prospect, but I don't love his motor, which I think can be inconsistent from time to time. I'm changing my tune on him being a top 3-4 end from the preseason. I'm more thinking he is a better fit in a 4-3 at left end. I think he's going to be a guy more like a Charles Grant, that is up and down throughout his career. Capable of giving you 10 sacks one year, but the next year could easily only give you just 2 or 3. I still like his potential, but I'm not overly confident he will fulfill it. I've been hearing a lot about Iowa DT/DE Christian Ballard, but he didn't impress me much vs. Michigan. He looks like he's just a rotational guy at the next level, rather than one of the top defensive linemen and potential starters int his draft. I think he can make a nice 3-4 DE, but he got pushed around quite a bit when he lined up inside in the 4-man front. As for Michigan prospects, I like OG Stephen Schilling. He's not exactly polished, but he has a lot of potential as an interior run blocker, and if he can get coached up on some of his technique and hand use, could be a very good mauler inside. OLB Jonas Mouton is another prospect I like. I think he's a good fit as either a 3-4 ILB or 4-3 WLB. But I also think that in time he could make a nice 4-3 MLB down the road. I think he could be a DeMeco Ryans type player down the road if he can develop, but right now I'd say he's closer to D.J. Williams.

While I'm not super high on Clayborn, I am a big fan of Cameron Heyward. I won't lie the fact that he's Ironhead's son also makes me like him even more. But I do see a lot of the same ability/potential in him that I see/saw in Richard Seymour. I think Seymour is quicker than Heyward, and thus I don't expect Heyward to be as productive a pass rusher. But I think he's a guy that can really be an impact 3-4 defensive end, and is more in line with the caliber of player that Kansas City wished Tyson Jackson could/would/should be when they used a Top 3 pick overall on him. I also like WR Dane Sanzenbacher. He's a small guy and will be limited to the slot in the NFL, but I like his speed and willingness as a blocker. In the right scheme/team, he can be a very productive No. 3 receiver. I've never been that high on CB Chimdi Chekwa or FS Jermale Hines, who have received high grades from some scouting sites. Chekwa has zero ball skills, and at best is a Chris Houston clone. Hines doesn't make any plays and every OSU game I've watched him in since the end of last year, has helped the other team more than his own defense. Ross Homan is a good hard-nosed downhill run defender that is physical. At times, he reminds me of James Laurinaitis, but he's not as instinctual or as good in coverage as Laurinaitis is/was. He'll probably fit best inside in a 3-4 scheme. As for Terrelle Pryor, I hope he stays another year. I think he's a guy that in his first few years in the pros, he'll be as erratic (if not more) a passer as Vince Young was early on. And if he winds up on a bad team and plays that poorly, it's going to ruin his NFL future and he may wind up like a Jamarcus-like bust. But if he goes somewhere, gets at least a full year to sit and learn, I think he'll have a better shot. He's a guy that I don't think is going to show a ton of progress from Years 1 to 3, but in Year 4 or 5 will take his big leap forward. And if he's rushed onto the field too early, I think it'll hurt his confidence and whichever team gets him's confidence. But I do think his potential is potentially along the same lines as Josh Freeman if he's handled right.

As for Indiana, not much to write about. QB Ben Chappell is good enough to possibly land a clipboard spot as a rookie. I think teams will like his size and arm strength, but his mechanics and footwork need some work. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him get some opportunities like a Brett Ratliff.

QB Zach Collaros (Cincinnati) by the way he played in the USF game, I'm not sure he has an NFL future. He's athletic, but not comfortable at all reading and throwing from the pocket. He's got another year to develop since he's a junior, but at this point I would see him more as a project at WR than an NFL QB. RB Isaiah Pead is a quick scat back that is dangerous in space, but I'm not sure he's going to be a good fit in most NFL offenses outside a team like Houston and their zone-blocking scheme. He just doesn't do well between the tackles.

USF OLB/DE David Bedford is antoher good pass rusher for the Bulls. But I think he's going to have to play OLB in the pros because he gets pushed around quite a bit whenever he puts his hand on the ground. DT Terrell McClain is a disruptive guy in the middle, but lacks technique and isn't much of a factor vs. the run. But in time he could make a nice rotational guy in a 4-3 scheme.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 am 

A few more prospects I want to talk about that I've watched since October 21, the last time I posted in this thread...

I still like Minnesota QB Adam Weber. I think he has the mental aptitude to play and process the pro game well. I think what will hurt him is the fact that he doesn't have a big arm or great size (6-1/220). But he's a guy that I think can be a like a Shaun Hill, that if he can sit and learn, and improve his arm strength has a chance to be a competent stopgap starter down the road.

I was impressed by QB Blaine Gabbert vs. Texas A&M. I think he'll have a tough time transitioning to a pro-style, dropback offense. But I liked his arm strength, accuracy, and anticipation. He was throwing his receivers open, which is a very rare trait to see in most college quarterbacks. I'm not sure he has the pocket awareness working all the time in the shotgun to transition easily to the next level. But if you give him a year to develop and learn, I think you might have a very good QB prospect on your hands down the road.

QB Jake Locker has been a disappointment to me. I still like his upside and intangibles to get better down the road. But he has not shown really any improvement in his game this season. He shows the flashes, but not consistent. His accuracy/touch is too erratic to consider him a top QB prospect. It's really going to come down to how high you are on his character. Because from what I've seen of him in 3 games so far this year, his actual playing level is on par with a mid-round pick. You just wonder if all he's going to be is a less-polished version of Jay Cutler. I think if he was to get with a Holmgren-esque coach, and get the coaching he needs, he'll be fine. Maybe not great, but good. But if he was to play in San Fran, he'd probably crash and burn.

USC RB Allen Bradford is a powerful runner, but doesn't have good quickness, lateral burst, or vision. Which basically makes him like Brandon Jacobs. Behind a good O-line, he'll be a productive player like Jacobs has been in New York. Behind an average or mediocre one, he'll be more like LenDale White.

I mentioned in the previous post that Noel Devine once reminded me of Warrick Dunn. Well, the one back that definitely lives up to that potential, or at least did vs. Washington is Jacquizz Rodgers. I think his combo of quickness, vision, footwork, and burst means that despite his lack of size, he'll find a way to be a productive NFL player. Now Dunn was a very good complementary runner for most of his career when he shared the load with guys like Mike Alstott and T.J. Duckett, and I think that's probably what Rodgers will be. But as we saw here in Atlanta, behind a zone-blocking line, Dunn made a very good feature back. And I think the same can potentially be said of Rodgers if he gets in the right situation. He's not for everybody though.

FB Stanley Havili impressed me with his physical blocking vs. Washington, much more so than in the previous USC game I saw. I've seen in the past that Havili is an effective receiver and runner, so he has a chance to be a return of the rare triple-headed fullback that we haven't seen in the league since Fred Beasley/Tony Richardson years ago.

WR Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) and Ronald Johnson (USC) are two receivers that impress me. I'm not super high on Floyd, because I think has a bit of the arrogance that Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate had last year, that I think he'll get a bit of culture shock once he leaves South Bend and gets to the pros. But he is a talented player that I think would be a premier No. 2 receiver like a Santonio Holmes/Greg Jennings, but also be capable of being a No. 1 down the road if asked to do so. What I like about Johnson is he's their go-to guy when they need a play. He's not very big, but makes plays, and while I think he'll probably be a bit more reliable as a No. 1 than Floyd at the next level, I'm not convinced he'll make as many plays due to his lack of ideal size (5-11/190).

One Louisville prospect I forgot to mention in my prevoius post is LT Byron Stingily, who is a sleeper. He's got good feet and is athletic. He needs to get bigger and stronger in the upper body, and improve his hand use/technique there, but he's a guy that I think that if he has time to develop he can be a Jermon Bushrod type as a long-term developmental left tackle.

Pitt has a nice underclass O-lineman in Lukas Nix, who started the year at RT, but moved to RG a few weeks back. He reminds me of Harvey Dahl because he has good mean streak. He's only a junior, but at this point I'm higher on his NFL future than I am on senior LT Jason Pinkston. Pinkston is a guy that I think will probably be a career backup in the pros, that will be a better guard than tackle. I like his potential as a run blocker, but he hasn't really developed a ton of polish in recent years.

Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan is a good DE prospect. But at this point, I don't think he's going to be any better a pass rusher than Chris Long. Now, of course I should note I was super high on Long when he came out, but at this point in his career, I've realized the error of my ways. He's still a good NFL player, but not the premier DE that I envisioned him to be. I think Kerrigan can be a very productive player if he plays across from another good pass rusher that can help funnel the QB to him to produce more sacks (like Adewale Ogunleye did in Miami when he played across from Jason Taylor), but overall he's probably a guy that will get 5-8 sacks a year. Good, but not great.

Pitt DE Jabaal Sheard continues to disappoint me as well. Sheard will usually make 1 or 2 nice plays per game, but disappears for the other 60 or so. He's got enough quickness off the edge to get a chance as a situational guy. But his motor is iffy at times, and he gets pushed around quite a bit on the line. Not surprising, given his size (6-3/255), but he's a tweener that I could see moving to OLB, but he's raw there. And if he bulks up too much as a DE, I think he'll lose a lot of that quickness, and it's not quite enough that I think he will be a true edge rusher in the pros.

A NT prospect that I'm really liking is Notre Dame's Ian Williams. I really like his motor. He isn't a great disruptor, but will make a few plays per game where he does get upfield and make a stop in the backfield. He's a guy that I'm not sure a team should draft thinking he'll be a major contributor right away. But he'll make a nice backup NT in either the 3-4 or 4-3 and eventually develop into a good starter in a few years as he improves his technique. Another is Hampton's Kenrick Ellis. He's another high motor player. He's massive. But I watched him play vs. South Carolina State, and he didn't quite dominate like I expected. But he plays hard which is very rare for a player his size (6-5/340). I think he's raw as an NT prospect and may not play a ton his first few years in the league, but 3 or so years down the road he could be a very good one. Another thing I liked was the fact that in the game vs. SCSU, he only missed two defensive snaps the entire game. In contrast, someone like Terrence Cody probably regularly missed 30+ during his final year at Alabama. I'm aware part of that is because Alabama had good players worth rotating, and Hampton doesn't, but it at least tells me his conditioning is probably not horrible to think he's going to have to lose 40 pounds just to be worth drafting.

Speaking of Hampton prospects, another sleeper worth watching maybe this DE/OLB Brandon Peguese. He plays fast and hard, and I wouldn't be totally surprised that if 2-3 years from now he's another James Harrison.

Oregon State DT Stephen Paea is a prospect I really like. He's super-athletic, plays multiple techniques, and makes plays all across Oregon State's defense. NFL Draft Scout lists him at 6-2/310, but he doesn't have any different a build than Jonathan Babineaux, who is 6-2/285. So if he's 310, he carries it very well. What I like about Paea is he has a very good motor, and at times he moves like a LB.

No one ever really discusses kickers and punters, but I'll mention a few that I like. Nebraska's Alex Henery is good enough to play in the pros as either a kicker or punter, although he's been a very reliable FG kicker over the years, which is where I think most teams will give him a chance since good kickers are hard to find. UCLA's Kai Forbath is another that I'm liking. Good leg, and accurate. Miami's Matt Bosher is another dual threat guy, that may not be the most polished in either, but his strong leg and ability to kick off makes him valuable. I also like Auburn's Wes Byrum, and Arkansas's Alex Tejada looks like he's a good enough kickoff guy to play that role solely in the pros. Florida P Chas Henry has a big-time leg, but not great accuracy. It's why I like Baylor's Derek Epperson a bit more. Henry also handles FGs, but he missed two vs. LSU which doesn't make me thrilled about his chances there. Rob Long (Syracuse) and Ryan Donahue (Iowa) also should be able to play in the NFL, although I'm not convinced they'll stick immediately. But it's making me soften my stance on not drafting kickers/punters, since there's at least 6 in this class I think are potentially worth a pick. Not to mention the two long snappers: Christian Yount (UCLA) and Andrew Schulze that also may be worthwhile picks as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:01 pm 

Watched the Arizona State-Cal game and Michigan State-Northwestern game from 2 weeks ago today.

The only really good ASU prospect I scouted was DT Lawrence Guy, a junior. He's got the frame to project well in the 3-4 scheme at 6-5/300. He has good quickness, but I think he's going to need more time to develop, so I think coming back for his senior year would be good for him.

DE Cameron Jordan, I like more than I did the first time I saw him. But I still don't think he's going to be a great NFL starter, but I think he'll be a valuable starter. I would compare him to be a bit more athletic version of Antonio Smith.

RB Shane Vereen is still one of the my favorite 3rd down RB prospects. But the thing I didn't really like in the ASU game was that when he was working out of the wildcat on several plays, he would take a half of second before he started running with the ball to read the defense. I would prefer him to just go once he gets the ball and make his reads on the fly, because I think NFL defenses will be able to take more advantage of that than college ones. And I'm not sure because of his tendency to dance a be a bit too patient if he'll be a good back running behind a fullback.

TE Anthony Miller is a good prospect that reminds me of Marcedes Lewis but in Alge Crumpler's body. I think he can be a nice 30-40 catch TE in the pros, but he's not quite the blocker that Lewis is or Crumpler was, but has the potential to get better.

I was very impressed with QB Kirk Cousins vs. Northwestern. Really liked his arm strength, accuracy, his decision making and field vision. I definitely want to see him more the rest of the season, and I think I might re-watch the Iowa-MSU game on ESPN3 later tonight because apparently he did not play well in that game. And it maybe it was the level of competition vs. Northwestern's defense, but of all the QBs I've seen this year, besides Mallett and Luck, he looks to be the most NFL ready.

Although I was very impressed with Cousins in this game, I was not with ILB Greg Jones. His performance in the first half of that game might have been the laziest effort I've ever seen from a linebacker. He just seemed to be going through the motions. He picked it up in the 2nd half, although he was probably going at 90%. And if I had not seen him play at a high level last season, I probably would have graded him somewhere in the low 4s or high 3s based on his play in this game. My hope is that he's dealing with an injury or the flu or something to explain it.

As for NW, OLB Quentin Davie and DT Corbin Bryant are decent NFL prospects. Davie is kind of raw, but looks like he could make a good SAM linebacker in the 3-4 or 4-3. He's faster and more athletic than Stephen NIcholas, but at this point I think he would be that sort of player in the pros, although his upside is higher. Bryant has a nice motor, but is a bit undersized in the middle (6-4/285) and could contribute as a rotation player if he can bulk up. OT Al Netter (junior) is a nice left tackle prospect. Doesn't have great feet, but good enough there that if he can improve his technique and do better with his hands and not be such a waist bender and overextend when he tries to deliver his punch, he should be able to get by as a left tackle in the pros. Although I wouldn't be thrilled about him having to face one of the premier NFL ends.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 am 

Just watched the MSU-Iowa game. And I'm still fairly high on QB Kirk Cousins. He made some mistakes, throwing 3 bad picks, but other than that he continued to show the smarts and accuracy that I like. His first pick was just a poor throw on a deep out. His second was on an out and up where he didn't step into his throw and then CB jumped on it. The third came on one when he was scrambling to his left and threw off his back foot into coverage. All three were throws downfield or to the sideline, which makes me wonder about his arm strength and vertical potential. He underthrew an open receiver on a go-route where he threw to the back shoulder where if he had throw outside and hung it up could have allowed his guy to run under it for a score. I don't think he has poor arm strength, but I'm not sure he's a guy that is going to shine in a vertical offense. I would compare him at this point to the elder Kurt Warner in Arizona.

Greg Jones looked better in this game as well. But I think he's a player that is only going to be good in a 3-4 scheme. I think if he plays on the right team, in which it's one that has a good front 3 that can keep blockers off him he'll be a good impact player. He needs to bulk up as well and put some muscle on his smallish frame (6-1/235). If he got up to 250 and was playing behind the Steelers front 3, he'd be a beast. But as is I think he's a less rangy version of Jerod Mayo.

I also like sophomore DT Jerel Worthy. He's big (6-3/305) and I think flashes the potential to be a dominant defender in a variety of techniques and schemes. Right now, I really like his upside as a nose tackle in a one-gap scheme. He's a good short-area power player that has the quickness to get upfield and make stops in the backfield. He doesn't play with good technique and is raw there. I think if he can get bigger and improve his ability to take on blockers at the point and anchor, he also has a future as a Jamal Williams-esque nose in a 3-4 scheme. But he's a guy that I'd definitely want to see get at least 1 more year in college, as I feel that it's going to take the better part of 3 years from this point before he develops the technique to live up to his potential.

TE Charlie Gantt is another prospect I like. He reminds me of JIm Kleinsasser because of his potential to be an inline TE, H-back, and occasionally a fullback and lead blocker. He has good soft hands, but he's not going to be a big factor in the passing game because he lacks the speed and burst to get downfield.

Iowa DT Christian Ballard looked much better in this game, and made some plays when he could pin his ears back and get upfield. I still don't think he has the size or bulk to be a full-time DT in a 4-3 scheme. But he could be a nice situational guy there. He's better as DE and fits best there in a 3-4 scheme, particularly one that wants him to get upfield as much as possible (like Arizona's scheme).

DE Adrian Clayborn continues to look like a player that would be miscast in a 3-4 scheme. He's just a better player in space and stacking, shedding, and anchoring is not his strong suit which is what he'd be doing quite a bit in a 3-4 scheme at end. He's a guy that is destined to be a quality LDE in the pros. I think how good he can be will depend on his character evaluations. His motor isn't as good as I'd like, but in his interviews if he comes off as a guy that loves football and strives to be good, then I like his potential to fulfill his upside. I don't think he's got poor character, just I think whether he's a Will Smith that can reliably give you 8-10 sacks almost every year, or a Charles Grant who's going to have some years like that but have a bunch of years where he only gets 3-5 sacks.

S Tyler Sash had a good game, and I think playing in Iowa's cover-2 scheme will allow him to be a pretty good starter at either FS or SS. But he's probably not as fast and rangy as teams want as a free safety, or as big and physical as teams want at SS. So he's a bit of a tweener, and probably is a guy that will be most effective in a scheme that plays a lot of Cover-2. I don't think he'll be a playmaker in the pros, but a guy that can be a reliable starter that is solid most weeks and doesn't make a bunch of mistakes.

The one thing that really stood out to me in this game about Ricky Stanzi was how well he moved in the pocket. It's a very underrated skillset when it comes to guys ability to transition and stick in the pros, especially in light of all the spread schemes in college. Pocket awareness is something that ALL the best QBs in the league have, and your ability to move around the pocket to find throwing lanes also can make the difference between a 12-yard completion and taking a 5-yard sack. Stanzi has this, which is why I think he can make an effective starter in the pros. I wouldn't draft him to be a starter right away. But I think if he happens to go to a team where he can sit for two years or so, he could make a decent starter. He's a guy that is going to be more of a game manager closer to an Alex Smith than a Tony Romo that can make some plays, but like both of those guys his mobility is going to be an asset. And those two players (Smith and Romo) are probably the spectrum of where his potential lies. I doubt he's as good/productive as Romo, but given that Romo is the same style of QB I project him to be (just the upper end) and Romo was an undrafted FA, it's not out of the realm of possibilities if everything breaks his way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 am 

Watched Utah-Air Force game today and Purdue-Illinois.

I bumped CB Brandon Burton's rating after the Air Force game. He played very well, although admittedly Air Force is an option team that doesn't throw the ball much. But he showed good hips, looked comfortable in press coverage, and contributed vs. the run. That coupled with a good performance vs. Pitt in Week 1, I think combine to make me fairly confident that he can be a solid starting corner at the next level. I think he might be good enough to come in right away, stick as a nickel corner and then in Year 2 or 3 he'll make a nice starter for some team.

OC Zane Taylor continues to impress me, but he looked very limited vs. Air Force at times. Utah tried to run the ball quite a bit in this game, and Taylor did not do well even against the undersized D-linemen of Air Force. He's a guy that I think will be a good starter and fit on a team that is a pass-happy, zone-blocking team. But for a team that is going to want him to move the pile and do a lot of man blocking, he'll just be a backup. But what I really like about him is that he has some of the quickest hands of any of the centers I've seen this year. That's why I'm higher on him despite him based purely off his ability to block on an island isn't better than some other guys I've seen this year who are clearly late round prospects.

For Purdue, DE Ryan Kerrigan got knocked a bit for me from watching this Illinois game. Still think he'll be a good starting DE in the NFL, but he looked more like a 5-8 sack guy than a 8-10 sack guy from before. He didn't show the burst and speed to turn the corner, and everytime he tried vs. Illinois, he didn't do it. I think he has a good bull rush potential. But in this game he looked more like a complementary pass rusher.

Two Illini prospects I liked: DT Corey Liuget and LB Martez Wilson. Both are juniors. Liuget (pronounced "legit") looks like he has the potential to be a good one-gap power player. He can be disruptive at times, but I don't think he's going to be a big-time pass rusher. He plays mostly the 3-technique for Illinois, but I think he might project better as a nose or 1-technique guy in the pros if he continues to get better technique. Wilson impressed me and plays ILB for the Illini, but I think he probably projects better as a OLB in a 3-4 or SAM in a 4-3. He did a nice job getting off blocks and flashed the speed and burst off the corner as a pass rusher to be a factor there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:49 am 

I watched the Boise State-Louisiana Tech game from 2 weeks ago, and here are my thoughts...

I feel sorry for Kellen Moore. I think he has everything upstairs to be a solid NFL quarterback, but from the neck down he's going to struggle. He just doesn't have the arm strength that NFL teams will notice. He's going to come to his workouts and struggle to drive the ball on his throws. His lack of size isn't helping. He's listed at 6-0/190, but wouldn't surprise me if he's barely 5-11. He can't throw from the pocket because of his short stature and inability to drive the football. But he has good accuracy, makes good decisions, and his mobility allows him to create things. I think Shaun Hill is a good comparison. When Hill came out of Maryland several years ago, he too lacked a good NFL arm, but he was a heady QB that didn't make mistakes. He sat for 4 years in Minnesota holding a clipboard, then signed with the 49ers and earned a backup job. And he's been a pretty solid backup ever since and a decent stopgap starter (11-10 record). I think that has to happen for Moore to really make an impact in the NFL. Otherwise, he'll have to play in Canada and then hope to pull a Jeff Garcia down the road. But he's not going to get drafted unless some team pulls a Jim Zorn and takes a flyer on him late in the draft like the Redskins did with Colt Brennan.

There were a couple of throws in this game that Austin Pettis dropped because of Moore's inability to deliver the throw on a rope to him. I'm a big fan of Pettis, but after watching this game, it's becoming clearer that I'm probably overrating his NFL potential. I'm confident he'll be able to contribute off the bench right away as a rookie, but his upside is probably to be a T.J. Houshmandzadeh type that if he plays opposite a go-to weapon, he can be a very good and reliable possession guy. His hands are second to none in this draft, but he just doesn't have the speed or sudden burst to think that unless he becomes a really polished route-runner he is going to excel at the next level. He's a player like Austin Collie, that I think in the right situation can be a really good player, but on most teams he won't be anything special.

WR Titus Young I think is overrated, at least in the sense of what people think he's going to do on offense. Sure, he's fast, but the thing that bothers me about him is that he is small and won't be able to beat the jam and thus will only be limited to the slot, and in order to be a good slot receiver you have to be able to go over the middle, which is not going to be Young's forte because of his lack of size. And I don't like the way he runs, he runs out of control, which makes me worry about his ball security. He's fast, but his value is going to be as a kick returner mainly. He can contribute offensively, but he's not going to be a regular featured weapon.

Boise State has a well-coached defense, but not a ton of great NFL prospects. Winston Venable is a tweener. He's 5-11/225 and looks like a NFL-size strong safety, but plays OLB for Boise State. I like his toughness and his physical play, but he doesn't have the speed or quickness to really be an effective safety at the next level. And he's too small even if he bulked up, he just isn't natural strong to be a good LB, unless he played for the Colts. But I think he can still stick as a reserve safety that shines on special teams but will be exposed if he ever gets on the field as anything more than an in the box safety.

Jeron Johnson has safety skills, but not the size. He's just small. And while he plays tough, vs. Louisiana Tech he missed a bunch of tackles and it was clear that he won't be able to make up for his small stature (5-11/195) at the next level even if he adds weight. He'll just never be a truly reliable tackler, kind of like what Erik Coleman is now. He reminds me of Coleman, but more of the Coleman that we've seen get exposed on his bad days over the past 1.5 years rather than the good Coleman that we saw in '08. And he may not even be that good.

I'm not as high on junior DT Billy Winn after his performance vs. Virginia Tech. He can get upfield, but he needs to get off blcoks better and has very little technique. While he looked like a developmental starter vs. VT, vs. LT, he looked more like a career backup.

As for Louisiana Tech, they have 3 decent prospects. I remember seeing WR Phillip Livas 2 years ago in a bowl game where he was ridiculous, playing some wildcat, running back kicks, etc. basically being a poor man's Percy Harvin. But he's since fallen off the map. He's very small (5-8/175) and it shows on the field. He's not going to be any more an option offensively than Eric Weems is. But like Weems he can potentially stick as a returner. He has good speed, but not great quickness, so I think he might be limited to kickoffs rather than pulling double duty on punts, but he's built the same as Brandon Banks with comparable speed, and since Banks seems to be doing alright this year, I think there's a chance Livas can find a role as a special teams guy as long as he is productive.

OT Rob McGill intrigues me. First off, I'm not sure what the LA Tech coaches are doing, but they are teaching very poor technique at least as far as what I know about blocking. All the LA Tech at the snap of the ball start to backpedal instead of using your standard stepping footwork that OL are supposed to. McGill really struggled in this game against BSU's pass rushers because he would start to backpedal I guess to prevent the speed, but it wasn't really working too well and then when he needed to engage with the defender, he would be compeltely off balance, whiff on his punch and several times ended up flat on his face watching as his man sacked the QB. It was just really bizarre, and I'm not sure if that is just how LA Tech's linemen were taught or that they just used it in this game to try and counter the speed of Boise State's linemen. But at 6-6/310, I think he has a chance to earn a p-squad spot and be developed as a OG/RT prospect.

One player that stood out to me as DE Matt Broha. He's only a junior. But I saw glimpses of ability that made me think there is some Kroy Biermann in him. I don't think his motor is quite as good as Biermann's, but it's good. But he showed nice quickness off the edge. At this point, he's a better fit at OLB in a 3-4, but I think long-term his future may be better if he stays at DE and bulks up (6-3/250) where he can be a situational pass rusher in some team's rotation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I've taken some notes while watching some games live. It's hard to really judge a prospect live but I took notes on a few plays so that when i go back and watch the full games later I know what to look for.

DeAndre Brown – WR – Southern Miss.
Very unimpressive performance. Was shut down and gave very little effort on plays. Poor route runner. Did not use his size well to attack the ball. Was benched for laziness.

Anthony Gray – DT – Southern Miss.
Got good penetration at times but was inconsistent. Struggles vs. the double team as he was routinely DT by SC. He doesn’t offer much pass-rushing moves outside of the bull rush but that’s the case for most NT’s. Showed good hustle. Chased down some plays to make tackles 10-15 yards down field. Love to see that from a NT. Got burned on an end-round where he got good penetration but did not keep contain allowing the runner to get by him for a big gain.

C.J. Bailey – CB – Southern Miss.
Made a great play near the start of the game to sniff out a WR screen and make a great tackle for a loss. After that was largely unimpressive. Gave up too big of a cushion and gave up some underneath passes. Hips appear to be stiff as he had trouble reacting to an out route and couldn’t get there in time. Poor push off his legs. Was called for holding on one play but there was no replay shown to see the infraction. Rarely came up in run support because he lined up 10 yards down field and was easily blocked by SC’s big and physical WR’s. Did make a few nice tackles though when he had the chance.

Cliff Matthews – DE – South Carolina
Very unimpressive performance. Was easily blocked by Southern Miss. inferior OL. Cannot disengage from a block at all. I did not see this once. Rarely got any pressure. Did not make any noteworthy plays. Finished with only 2 tackles. Did not look like a draftable prospect in this game.

Nick Foles – QB – Arizona
Was only able to catch a little bit of this game but Nick Foles didn’t do anything to change my opinion on him. While his stat line was impressive, he did play a much weaker team and he was still staring his WR’s down. That is still his biggest problem and I won’t consider him a top prospect unless he fixes that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:39 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Chris L. Rucker CB – Michigan State
Read a screen play well and moved in to make the tackle for about an 8 yard loss. Got thrown to on a fade route and he did not turn his head to make a play on the ball. Ball was incomplete but Rucker played the man, not the ball. Bit on the flat route and let a man get behind him and gave up the TD pass. Got beat on a deep post route. Gave up way too much of a cushion. Got beat on a quick slant route, gave up inside position easily.

Greg Jones – LB – Michigan State
Very patient and does not fall for fakes. Runs up hard to punish Western Michigan’s QB on the draw play. Once again doesn’t fall for the fake to the RB and comes up to make the tackle on the QB run. Missed a tackle on a check down pass, did not break down. Greg Jones shows absolutely amazing instincts on one play. Shows a blitz through the A-gap, QB calls an audible to run outside, Jones INSTANTLY reads this and runs towards the outside, ends up forcing a fumble that is recovered by Michigan State.

Colin Neely – DE – Michigan State
Came through unblocked on a PA pass and got the sack. I’m not quite sure if he got hurt or he plays limited snaps but I didn’t see him much after the 1st drive.

Steve Schilling – OG – Michigan
Opened up some nice lanes in the running game for Denard Robinson. Good run blocker. Michigans OL as a whole was great in pass protection. Doesn’t look at his best when blocking in space.

Obi Ezeh – LB – Michigan
Looked very slow running to the sideline. I don’t know if he wasn’t going all out but either way it’s bad. Came up with a clutch fumble recovery in the redzone. Made a few nice open field tackles.

Jonas Mouton – LB – Michigan
Made quite a few good plays. Was usually one of the firsts to the ball carrier and didn’t miss any tackles. Looked quick as well. Good sideline to sideline range. Good wrap up tackler. A little too aggressive at times and he was caught over pursuing a few times.

Scott Lutrus – LB – Connecticut
Had an outstanding game. Was routinely around the ball making tackles and doing his best to stop Michigan’s running game. Looks really strong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

WR – Austin Pettis – Boise State
Got open right down the middle of VT’s defense for an easy TD catch. Makes a tough catch over the middle and takes a hit, bounces right back up. Completely whiffed on a run block. Does a good job of catching with his hands. Showed some strong hands over the middle. His route running needs some work as he rounds off his routes too much. Came up with a clutch TD catch to give Boise State the lead late. Looks like a very dependable WR with great hands. He needs to touch up his route running and needs to use his hands more as he has let the ball get into his pads a few times.

WR – Titus Young – Boise State
Looks very quick off the line. Ran a nice route and got wide open for the catch. Caught it with his chest though which you don’t want to see. Great catch along the side line on a crossing route. Makes very sharp cuts. Has had some nice returns on kickoffs. Very quick, easily turned the corner to pick up the 1st on an underneath crossing route.

DE – Ryan Winterswyk – Boise State
Looks very slow off the snap. Lacks burst. Good penetration on the goal line to help stop the ball carrier for a loss. Has not made much of an impact in this game.

S – Jeron Johnson – Boise State
Has made a few nice tackles against the run. Comes up real quick and made good tackles. Great open field tackle on the end around. Always around the ball. Has been great in run support all game, quickly recognizes the run and comes up to make tackles. Makes a TFL on an outside run in traffic. Has had a terrific game. Got hurt on that tackle, hopefully he will be all right. Another good tackle. Has not missed a single tackle all night. Obviously I write that, next play he misses a tackle. He didn’t break down. Hasn’t been tested in coverage but has great instincts against the run.

CB – Brandyn Thompson - Boise State
Has not been thrown to in the first half, which is a good sign. Came up and made a tackle in run support, pretty much the only time he was close to the football in the half. First play for VT in the 2nd half is a pass to Thompson’s man. Good coverage forcing an overthrow. Had the ball been on target, Thompson was in position to make the pick. Next play, comes up fast with a great tackle to stop the WR screen. Called for PI. Bit on a double move and was caught trailing, ball was under thrown and he bumped the WR who went back towards the ball. He did turn his head and made a play on the ball. Got beat deep but the pass was over thrown. Got beat again on a comeback route, went for the break-up and was way late, missed the tackle and gave up the TD. Had no Safety help, and it was 4th down so I can understand why he went for the PBU, but when you’re beat, you’re beat. His gamble hurt his team big time. Great coverage down field in a clutch situation. Tracked the ball and made the break up.

QB – Tyrod Taylor – Virginia Tech
Panicked under pressure and stepped up right into the pass-rush. Did not keep his eyes down field just tried to tuck it and run. Nice fake to elude a tackler in the backfield. Looks to anxious to pull it down and run. He is not scanning the field and he is constantly looking at the pass rush. Stood tall and made a nice throw to pick up the first down. Threw it on the run right to the CB who dropped the pick. Completely missed the underneath CB and should have been picked. Nice touch on a down field pass to split the zone coverage between the underneath CB and the over-the-top Safety. Hit a wide open WR on a corner route. Put a little too much touch on the pass though. Shows the ability to audible and read defenses pre-snap. Did a good job in the redzone in keeping his eyes down field. Great coverage by Boise State though. Seems to have been thrown out of rhythm by Boise States pressure early because he has done a much better job of looking down field in the 2nd Quarter. Showed nice arm strength on a quick hook. Throws a TD pass for one reason.. kept his eyes down field and found Ryan Williams wide open in the endzone. Nice play by Tyrod. Great run down the sideline for 29 yards. Hurdled Jeron Johnson. Under throws a deep pass, had his man open. Threw off his back foot and missed a wide open WR for a TD. Pressure was in his face though. Does a good job of finding the open man and looks to attack single coverage. Needs to use his strong arm more, has a tendency to float deep passes when he doesn’t have to. It gives the DB’s time to close on the ball. Has done a good job of scanning the field and running at the correct times. Has put together a solid game despite a shaky start. Came up short on his game winning drive.

CB – Rashad Carmicheal – Virginia Tech
Giving up a big cushion on his man. Made a nice tackle on pass into the flats, got low. Great coverage on Titus Young. Showed great speed to stick with him through his route. Opened up his hips and Titus Young quickly made his cut, got open and made a great catch. Was playing deep zone though and primary goal was to not get beat deep, which looks like is always the call. Does a good job of keeping contain against the run and should be credited with a few TFL even if he wasn’t in on the tackle. Great tackle from Carmicheal in run support. Saved a big gain. VT plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 4 so Carmicheal has to prevent the big play, which is why it may appear he plays very soft and conservative.

DE – Steven Friday – Virginia Tech
Came with a speed rush right off the edge and blew by the LT and almost decapitated the QB. Seems to lack a variety of pass-rush moves. Has either come with a speed rush or bull rush all game. Has some trouble disengaging blocks. Nice tackle on the RB for a short gain. Outside of the first sack he has been very unimpressive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

LB – Mario Harvey – Marshall
Very active. Made a nice open field tackle on Noel Devine. Great penetration and met Devine in the back field but Devine shook him, his teammates cleaned up though. Has been in on almost every tackle during WVU’s first drive. Came free on a blitz up the middle and got a good hit on the QB. Great penetration again and this time wraps up Devine for a loss. Announcers saying he can run a 4.4. Probably not true but he is an impressive athlete. Great play on 4th and 1 to take on a blocker, shed and then help make the tackle for a loss. Harvey occasionally moves to DE on passing downs. Blew by the RT and slapped away his hands and made the sack on 3rd down. Has had an outstanding game thus far. Showed nice speed to push Geno Smith out of bounds. Not afraid to take on blockers and just threw his body into the pile straight at the lead blocker forcing a 3rd down and short. Chased down Ryan Clarke from behind. Apparently ran a 4.35 in spring training… wow. Has played more at DE in the 2nd half. I don’t know why because he has a huge impact on the game in the 1st half at his LB position. Absolutely DECKED Geno Smith. Smith fumbled the snap and ran around, Harvey came from the backside and just leveled him forcing a fumble.

RB – Noel Devine – West Virginia
Showed off his quickness and vision as he cut back outside before making another nice cutback towards the middle of the field. Amazing acceleration from a stop. Really dangerous in the open field, has made a few guys miss already to pick up additional yards. Has gone down easily with arm tackles because he isn’t that big. Fights for yards and doesn’t look to take it out of bounds. Fumbled the ball on his first carry of the 2nd half. Needs to hold the ball up tighter. Has caught a lot of passes out of the backfield and looks very natural catching the ball. Has looked good running the ball between the tackles. He’s small enough to fit through some really small holes. Had a nice run up the middle, he just made one quick cut and bounced it out side and picked up the 1st down. Nasty cutback to score a TD late in the game. Very good explosion, lots of strength in his legs.

WR – Jock Sanders – West Virginia
Really quick off the line. Makes a catch over the middle and made one guy miss to pick up the 1st. Let the ball get into his pads though. Has not been involved much in this game, just caught a screen pass in traffic and picked up the first. He is very shifty and can change directions on a dime. Sanders dropped a wide open pass. Took his eyes of the ball and looked to get up field before securing the catch. Huge catch for the 2-pt. conversion to send the game into OT.

CB – Brandon Hogan – West Virginia
Got involved early against the run. 2 tackles on Marshall’s first drive. Fought off a block and made the tackle on a screen pass. Awful throw by the QB, Hogan had great coverage and prevented a slim chance at a completion. Nice tackle in run support. Has not been challenged in the air but has made a few nice tackles against the run. Definitely is not shy from helping in run support. He has done so all night. Finally got targeted and gave up a crossing route for about a gain of 3. Nice play to make the quick tackle. Made another tackle in run support.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

OG – Steve Schilling – Michigan
Got driven back and fell on his back on a run play. Bounces back with a nice run block next play. Got no push on a 1 on 1 block with #98. Great block on a running play, got all the way to the 2nd level and drove a LB back about 15 yards. Has not had to pass protect much but has looked good when he had too. Nice run block again, took his man down cleanly. Picked up a nice block at the 2nd level on Denard’s 87 yard TD run. Had some nice run blocks where he sealed the edge and gave the runner a nice lane to run through. I noticed he doesn’t keep his balance on some runs and lunges forward into his man and falls down.

DT – Ian Williams – Notre Dame
Nice tackle on Denard Robinson for a short gain. Moved well laterally. Very active in the middle and fought through a double team to stuff up a running lane. Good play to disengage and make the tackle on 3rd down. Another good tackle inside. Does a good job of disengaging and using his hands. Next play, makes another tackle on Denard 8 yards down field, again good job of seeing the runner and disengaging to make the tackle. Got good penetration on a QB sneak and got really low to prevent the 1st down. Also made a nice play in the redzone to hustle and get out to make the tackle 10 yards down field on a screen pass. Always a good sign when your NT is hustling like that.

TE – Kyle Rudolph – Notre Dame
Big 3rd down conversion. Used his body to shield the ball away from the defender. Makes a nice catch with his hands. Has made two 3rd down catches on the 1st drive. Does a good job of catching with hands and has already proven to be a dependable target. Has been the go to guy all game for all of the QB’s. Rudolph runs good routes and came up with a HUGE 95 yard TD to put Notre Dame up in the game. He was solid all game and he definitely looks to be the #1 TE if he declares.

WR – Michael Floyd – Notre Dame
Has only caught a screen pass so far in the game. Hard to tell anything because with Notre Dame’s starting QB out they have rarely passed. Ran a very poor route on the INT. Just stopped on the side line and made no effort to get the ball. Got called for holding but has been giving a lot of effort blocking since he hasn’t been thrown too since the screen. Showed some nice strong hands on a comeback route and he worked his way, breaking 2 tackles, to get a 1st down. Dropped a pass over the middle which he let get into his pads. This game left me with a lot of question marks about Floyd. His route running is very sloppy and I did not see him make a hard cut all game. He routinely rounded off his route and this will not work in the NFL. He is also very slow off the line which leads me to believe that he doesn’t have very good burst or acceleration. His top speed may be good but he will take a while to get there. Had he made those sharp cuts that are necessary in the NFL, his lack of burst would come into play and he would have a really hard time getting any separation. I’ll have to focus on this more in detail cuz it’s a HUGE problem if that’s the case.

LB – Jonas Mouton – Michigan
Nice play to read the run and make the TFL on Allen. Bit on the fake to the RB. QB took it to the outside for a big gain. Took on a block head on and disengaged to go make the tackle. Very physical play. Great coverage. Didn’t bite on the flea flicker, read the QB’s eyes and made the pick. Even when he isn’t making the tackle he is always around the ball carrier. At the same time you want him to get there faster but it’s also a good sign that he is near the ball carrier and not taken out of the play. Has nice sideline to sideline range. Good vision to see the cutback through all the bodies on the line. Tried to tackle Allen high in the back field and missed the tackle and gave up a first because of that bad play. Hard hit right through the middle on Armando Allen. Stopped him right in his tracks. Good read. Called for a horse collar tackle, chased Allen down from behind though. Stayed step for step with Armando Allen on a running play in which Allen got to the open field, which showed his athleticism. Made a great play to stay with the QB while he was scrambling and read his eyes to deflect a pass into his teammates hands for the INT.

LB – Obi Ezeh – Michigan
Has not had an impact on this game at all. Just got taken out of the play by the LG. Looks really sluggish and lumbers into his zone drop back. Gets blocked out of plays easily. Has stiff hips and looks awful in coverage.

RB – Armando Allen – Notre Dame
Got called for a cut block and took away a Notre Dame TD. Showed some nice jukes on a punt return. Has not been very impressive. Doesn’t look to have a burst and hasn’t had much success turning the corner against Michigan’s fast defense. Broke 2 tackles in the back field, he is quick, not fast but quick. He just lacks that 2nd gear to pull away from defenders in the open field which I think will hurt his stock. Showed some toughness when he fumbled the pitch but recovered and trucked a safety.

CB – James Rogers – Michigan
Made a nice play to deflect a ball away from Floyd at the goal line. High pointed the ball and timed his jump nicely. Missed a tackle on Rudolph at the goal line which allowed him to score. Bad technique as he didn’t get his head across and didn’t wrap, took a terrible angle. Plays soft even when facing 3rd string QB’s. Was late to the WR but still managed to avoid the completion by getting his hand in to disrupt the catch. Nearly got a pick on an overthrown pass to Floyd. Got beat by #6 on a deep route. Safety was at fault for not covering but there was no one underneath that Rogers should have worried about with the clock showing less than 10 seconds and Notre Dame clearly taking a deep shot to get into FG range. Common sense play that Rogers didn’t make. Has a high and slow back pedal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

LB – Greg Jones – Michigan State
First drive of the game and he is already making good plays against the run. He is one of the best players I’ve watched thus far this season. Absolute beast of a LB. Hard tackle on Crist on a scramble. Came free on a blitz but Crist was able to side step him because Jones didn’t break down. Beat the LG with his quickness and this time made the sure tackle for the sack.

DE – Colin Neely – Michigan State
Has not had much pressure through the 1st quarter. Has been stone walled and only time he has come in the back field is when he was matched up with a RB or TE. Lacks a variety of pass rush moves. Made a nice tackle on a running play to prevent further damage.

CB – Chris L. Rucker – Michigan State
Will definitely have to play safety in the NFL. Read the slant by Floyd and made a nice break on the ball to force the incompletion. Fought with Floyd and knocked the ball out but after his knee was down. Great coverage on Floyd down field in 1 on 1 coverage. Nice hit to break up the pass. Has had a pretty good game so far and has been quick to react. Reason why I say he will have to play safety is because he doesn’t have the smoothest hips or back pedal. He also is almost always in zone coverage and likes to keep the play in front of him much like safeties do. When asked to cover man-to-man down the field he struggles. This time gives up the catch to Floyd on the slant route, made a quick tackle to prevent any YAC. Good tackler, been making solid stops all game. Nice break up on a pass to Floyd.

TE – Kyle Rudolph – Notre Dame
Dropped a pass on a short out route. Great route to split the zone and make the catch. Great catch again in traffic across the middle. Never lets the ball get into his pads. Nice over the shoulder catch for the TD. I really like what I’ve seen out of Rudolph, he is a great player.

WR – Michael Floyd – Notre Dame
Awful route runner. I’m watching this broadcast that happens to have it’s camera very zoomed out and in HD. The problems I talked about last game with Floyd should come clearer this game because I can see his whole route. I will comment on this a lot throughout this blog. Ran a poor slant route and Rucker was able to read it and break up the pass. Ran a better slant route this time but had trouble hanging onto the ball as Rucker knocked it out. Floyd recovered his own fumble. Caught a TD on the fade route that he really made a lot harder than it should have been. He mis-timed his jump and outran the fade. Showed off his strong hands though. Lost on a 1 on 1 jump ball battle down field. Had his hands on it but couldn’t come up with it. Caught a pass to move the chains but let the ball get into his pads. Floyd again caught a pass and coughed it up, this time it was ruled a fumble and MSU recovered. Did not secure the football. I’m really losing a lot of confidence in Floyd. Yes, he just caught another TD pass where he high-pointed the football and brought it down… but that’s all he does. If he is not running a fly in which he can turn around, out jump the CB and high point the football, he isn’t that good of a WR. His route running is horrendous and he looks sluggish. He really needs to expand his game and work on his route running and needs to give a more consistent effort. Half of the time he looks like he is not even interested in the play.

RB – Armando Allen – Notre Dame
Picked up some tough yards up the middle. Nice cutback to find the open hole and pick up 12 yards. Great blitz pick up on a 3rd down play. Hasn’t played much after suffering a hand injury.

DT – Ian Williams – Notre Dame
Doesn’t give up on plays if he doesn’t get a good pass rush. Very good motor. Good penetration and made the tackle at the line of scrimmage. He plays as the NT in Notre Dame’s 3-4 scheme and he does a good job of holding the line even when double teamed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Notes from the Miami vs. Pitt game, 2nd half only.

WR – Leonard Hankerson – Miami
Nice TD catch on a pretty poorly thrown corner route. Caught it with his hands which is what you want to see, made a nice adjustment too. Nice job of coming back to the ball. Once again caught it with his hands.

OT – Orlando Franklin – Miami
Drove a LB back about 10 yards on an inside run. 2 straight nice pass blocks but had an extra OT on his outside which made the DE take a wider angle giving Franklin time to get in position. Got another nice block on a LB.

RB – Damien Berry – Miami
Nice run for a long gain. Broke 2 tackles in the backfield and showed some pretty nice speed to the outside.

DE – Allen Bailey – Miami
Got destroyed by a double team, pushed back at least 10 yards.

LB – Colin McCarthy – Miami
Took an awful angle and let Dion Lewis get outside for a 15 yard gain. Made a few nice tackles against the run. Missed an open field tackle on RB Graham. Takes bad angles against the run, and is often too far inside giving up the outside and RB’s easily bounce it outside and he is taken out of the play completely.

OT – Jason Pinkston – Pittsburgh
Drove his man back but then lost his balance and found himself on his knees. Got his hands slapped away nicely by the DE. Showed a nice kick move to recover and keep the DE outside. Did well to allow the DE up field on an inside run, taking him out of the play. Nice job in pass protection, got pushed back a bit but stood his ground.

DE – Jabaal Sheard – Pittsburgh
Hurt his leg. Back in the game, only a cramp. Sheard with the sack. Jacory held the ball for way too long, and Sheard beat his man. Nice inside move and got his helmet knocked off by the OL to prevent the sack. Great play by Sheard there and good use of his hands.

SS – Dom DeCicco – Pittsburgh
Got hurt in the first half and did not play in the 2nd half. He had a pick though.

WR – Jonathon Baldwin – Pittsburgh
Nice catch with a man all over his back. Shielded the ball well. Caught a deep pass but was pushed out of bounds and did not get back in, in time. Nice focus and tracked the ball well but great coverage to force him out of bounds. 2 straight catches since the new QB came in. Makes an outstanding adjustment and tracked the ball but bobbled the catch on the sideline and was ruled incomplete. Horrible play on a fade route. Did not even try to fight for the ball and let it get picked off. He may have not seen the ball but he should have known it was coming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

CB – Julian Posey – Ohio
Posey missed a bit of the game due to an injury. Not sure what it was but he did come back later on. He is Ohio’s kick returner which is a plus, and he did have some nice returns. It was more good blocking and bad opponents rather than his skills though. He has stiff hips and this was evident in coverage and on KR’s. He’s also really not that fast in a straight line. His back pedal was also very high and he took a lot of short choppy steps. He didn’t look like a draftable prospect at all.

WR – LaVon Brazill – Ohio
Brazill was one of the more impressive players in the game. He had 5 catches for 46 yards in the 1st half but then they went away from him in the 2nd and he didn’t have any more catches. He didn’t look as fast as he was supposed to be. He did show some elusiveness in the open field and some YAC ability but he isn’t as quick as he should be. He is coming off of knee surgery I believe, so maybe that’s still hampering a bit. He showed the ability to beat the jam and he also has the ability to catch with his hands. He went and snagged a few balls that we’re high and off target. He did have one drop but I can’t fault him for it. The ball literally looked like a punt coming out of Boo Jackson’s hand. I wasn’t able to diagnose his route running as the camera angles we’re poor and he mainly ran short routes. He did run a very nice hook route and made a nice catch on a bad throw. He does have some solid skills but he won’t cut it with the speed he showed.

WR – Terrance McCrae – Ohio
McCrae looked largely unimpressive. He only had 1 catch and it went for 7 yards. He also had to trap the ball against his chest which is a bad sign from any WR, let alone a 6’4 target like he is. He looked pretty slow which was expected. I wanted to see more of him but he just wasn’t involved in the passing game. He had a really nice hail mary catch last week vs. Marshall that could have given Ohio the win, they went for 2 though and failed.

DT – Ernie Hodge – Ohio
I was unimpressed with Hodge outside of 2 plays. He lacks a burst off the line and this isn’t good news because he only weighs around 290. He should be a lot quicker than that. He got pushed back quite a bit on a few running plays and even got pancaked on the first play of the game. He isn’t very strong and doesn’t use his hands well. Most of the time on a passing down he would get stood up at the LOS or even pushed back. He doesn’t move that well laterally either. The 2 plays where he showed some potential were both on passing downs. He flashed a nice swim move where both times he beat the LG off the snap and was in the backfield. Unfortunately, both times he couldn’t finish on the sack as the QB easily side-stepped him.

S – Steven Jackson – Ohio
By far the most impressive player I watched in this game. He had a few very nice plays against the run. He diagnosed it and came down hard to make the tackle. He also delivered a good pop on the ball carrier. There was one play where the RB broke free down the middle and Jackson had a chance to make the tackle, but he over pursued and didn’t break down. The RB calmly just juked him and Jackson was left on the ground. It was his worst play and he just used horrible technique there. I also noticed he had a terrible back pedal. He did make some plays in coverage though. He almost got a pick on an overthrown ball. I considered it a drop because he had it right in his hands. The WR did a nice job to prevent the pick by tackling Jackson but that was AFTER he already dropped it. He did have a pick later on in the game though… which I missed. I was impressed by him though and he was definitely the best player in this game… doesn’t mean he is good, but he was the best considering what two teams we’re playing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:47 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Cameron Heyward – DE – Ohio State
Nice strength to push Carimi back off the snap and make a tackle against the run. Has made some nice plays against Carimi vs the run. Seems to have disappeared as he hasn’t been on many plays. Did a nice job to disengage and make a tackle on an inside run. Really unimpressed. This guy is supposed to be a Top 5 Pick and he had no impact in this game at all.

Scott Tolzien – QB – Wisconsin
Nice throw on out route, put it right on the money. Isn’t asked to make a lot of difficult throws and it’s been mostly run, run, and more run. Made a throw to a wide open WR. Tries to go deep, but ball was under-thrown and only went about 40 yards in the air. Awful throw down field, did not even see the LB that picked him off. He looks as I expected. He is managing the game and throws screens when he has to. The two times he was forced to go down field he threw a pick and under-threw a 40 yard pass that was almost picked. Poor accuracy on a quick pass to the flats. Bad accuracy on a wide open, right down the middle, 8 yard throw. Tolzien performed exactly as I thought he would.

DeVier Posey – WR – Ohio State
Quick off the LOS. Should have settled in the zone, showed poor awareness. Really poor effort as a blocker on one play, looked like he didn’t want contact. Nice diving catch, did a good job to come back and get the ball. It’s hard to judge Posey when he is working with such an erratic QB.

Justin Boren – LG – Ohio State
Has not looked special through the 1st quarter. Doesn’t get much push. Very nice double team block to spring a big run. Nice block on the goal line to open up a big hole. Had a solid game, made some nice blocks. Nothing more than a mid-round/late pick.

Lance Kendricks – TE – Wisconsin
Has done a nice job of blocking so far in what has been mostly run plays on the Badgers first 2 possessions. Didn’t do much this game other than block.

Gabe Carimi – OT – Wisconsin
Good run blocking on the Badgers opening possession. Had a real nice block on Clay’s TD run. Terrible balance and footwork. Falls down a lot. Got pushed back hard by Heyward on an inside run. Whiffed on a block in space. Nice block to seal the edge on a quick WR screen. Got a nice block on Heyward and took him out of the play. Nice job of blocking Heyward on an actual pass block. Actually took care of Heyward for the most part which was surprising. I still see a lot of negatives in Carimi’s game though and he will have to play RT in the NFL.

Chimdi Chekwa – CB – Ohio State
Gives up a quick pass underneath. Came up really fast to make the tackle. Made a nice tackle in the backfield for a loss. Did a good job of wrapping up Clay who is hard to tackle. Gave up another 10 yard pass. Had a nice battle with Toon and was in good position. Toon just made a good catch. Missed the jam and got beat bad by Toon. I was a bit disappointed in Chekwa. He failed to make a play on the ball at every pass thrown to him. While he had good coverage you have to be able to make a play and he didn’t.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Alex Carder – QB – Western Michigan – Soph.
Probably the most impressive player was Sophomore QB Alex Carder. The fact that he’s only a sophomore is what impressed me. He has a strong arm and made some really nice throws. He was threading the needle on some passes. He showed great pocket presence as he routinely was blitzed but hung in there, didn’t panick, but instead stepped up and fired an accurate pass downfield. I rarely see this from the top Senior QB’s in the draft but this is a sophomore from Western Michigan. This is his first year starting too. He’s got a bright future ahead of him and I hope he continues to progress throughout his career at Western Michigan.

Jordan White – WR – Western Michigan – Senior
This guy is officially on my sleeper list. He has been tearing it up this year. He averages 8 catches for 117 yards a game this year, including 8 catches for 82 yards against Michigan State. He was the go to guy all day in this game. He finished with 14 catches for 180 yards and 1 TD. He has good size(6’1 215) and is quick. He made some nice moves to get some YAC and caught the ball nicely with his hands. Jordan White is a guy to look out for.

Nathan Palmer – WR – Northern Illinois – Junior
The thing that stands out to me when I watched him was how smooth of an athlete he was. He glided down the field and made it look effortless. He has some nice grabs and if it weren’t for 2 poor passes from his QB he would have scored on 2 deep throws. Both times he was wide open but the QB overthrew him, and the next time he threw it to his wrong shoulder. He finished with 5 catches for 83 yards and 1 TD but that easily could have been 7 for 150 and 3 TD’s.

Jamail Berry – SS/LB – Western Michigan – Senior
Berry was also a guy that stood out. He made a few nice open field tackles and was all over the field. I doubt he has a chance to play in the NFL though. He is used as a LB and plays around the LOS but he is barely over 200 pounds, nowhere near the size to play LB.

Chad Spann – RB – Northern Illinois – Senior
Spann is a statistical monster and he had another big game today. I gotta admit I missed his big run but towards the end of the game he wasn’t running well at all. Part of it has to go on the OL as there we’re no open holes but Spann was routinely stopped for a gain of 2 yards and he went down easily.

Jake Coffman – DE – Northern Illinois – Senior
Coffman made some nice plays against the run and came up with the game ending INT in the clutch. It was really a gimmie though as Carder was hit and the ball just fluttered in the air. He didn’t get much pressure on Carder all game as he lacked the explosiveness and pass-rush moves to be effective. He did make some nice plays in the backfield though partly because he looks to be really strong. He would just over-power the OT and get in the backfield.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge, quick question.

Do you believe that Kerrigan is a good option for us in the 1st round to play RDE for us? I know my stance but wanted your opinion on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 am 

The quick answer is no to your specific question. I think Kerrigan is more of a LDE at the next level. But that doesn't mean I think he's a bad fit in Atlanta. I think you can plug him in at LDE, and then move Kroy over to RDE and you are okay. But again, I don't think Kerrigan is a "premier" pass rusher. I think he is more of a complementary guy. And if not fully explained before, I think the difference is that Abe is a premier pass rusher (or at least was), that regardless of the talent you surround him with he will get you 10+ sacks in a given year. Other guys that would fall into this group are Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, etc. you know most of the big name DEs that we think of when rattling off the list of top DEs. An even better example of this dichotomy is the old Falcons tandem of DEs in Chuck Smith and Lester Archambeau. Smith was the premier guy, Lester was the complementary guy. Meaning if he has another good pass rush (preferably a premier guy) lining up opposite him that can funnel the ball and QB to him (and take almost all the chips from the TEs and RBs), he'll be productive. But you wouldn't build your unit around him.

I want to watch the Wisconsin-Purdue game (it's on my DVR) to see how he did vs. Carimi. I probably won't get to it for at least another week.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Kerrigan in Round 1, but I don't think he's the level of pass rusher that this team really needs. And there may not be one in this entire class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 am 

Watched some more games in the past few days: Missouri-Oklahoma, NIU-Toledo, Idaho-Nevada, and Buffalo-Ohio.

I'm not as high on QB Blaine Gabbert as I was a week or so ago. DIdn't show the anticipation and accuracy I had seen vs. Texas A&M in the Oklahoma game. Still think with his size and arm, he can be a competent NFL starter, but he'll take some time to develop.

Mizzou DE Aldon Smith made his return from injury in this game, and while it was clear that he wasn't 100% with a leg injury (ankle I think), he still played well. He showed good burst and speed off the edge, although I think because he couldn't really put much weight on his leg, he didn't have much flexibility. But I liked the fact that Mizzou lined him up outside and inside, and he was able to get pressure due to his first step from either spot. He's tall and lean, and if/when he's healthier come January, I hope to see him again to see if he's got the ability to be a premier NFL pass rusher.

As for Oklahoma prospects, I'm not too high on any of them. WR Ryan Broyles is proabbly the best of the bunch, but he's only going to be a slot receiver at the next level, and I'm not sure he has the ability to be a Percy Harvin-like one, but closer to a Harry Douglas-type that is more a complementary guy than a legit go-to option because of his ability to create mismatches.

OLB Travis Lewis got beat a bunch of times in man coverage in this game, and I've never been too impressed with his coverage abilities in previous games. And after this game, I don't like his chances of being an impact OLB in the pros. I still think he's good enough to be a starter, but only an above average starter.

NIU's QB Chandler Harnish, a junior, showed some things in the Toledo game. He has a good combo of size, arm strength, and athleticism. He has another year to go, but he is a sleeper candidate to move up into the middle rounds in next year's QB draft class.

I got to see Idaho's QB Nathan Enderle for the first time this year. I wasn't super high on Enderle coming into this year, but he definitely has NFL-level tools. Good size and a strong arm. But he was off on almost every throw he had under 20 yards, and he didn't show great touch on his throws down the field. He also tended to hold onto the ball too long and taking a while to go through his progressions, something I saw last year. I plan on taping his game this weekend vs. Boise State, to see how he handles that defense, but at this point I think he's at best a 4th/5th round prospect.

As for Nevada, QB Colin Kaepernick still looks like a major project. You like his size and arm strength, but he hasn't shown much improvement as a passer since his freshman year. He doesn't make as many mental mistakes, but his accuracy is erratic and his decision making still isn't crisp all the time.

In the Buffalo-Ohio game, the only prospect I was watching was Buffalo S Davonte Shannon. He looks like he can be a solid reserve/developmental safety. Good speed, is a capable tackler despite not being the biggest guy (6-0/195). Think he could be a nice backup FS at the next level that can develop in a few years and might have a chance to be a starter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

alright guys I'm brand new here but I've been watching games all year this is what I have so far:

South Carolina:

FB Patrick Dimarco

Round: Undrafted (camp guy)

Positive: Versatility (lined up at FB, TE, and slot WR)

Negative: Strength

Hands: Above Average

Running: Below Average

Blocking (pass): Below Average

Blocking (run): Above Average

DE Cliff Matthews

Round: 4th-5th

Positive: Size

Negative: Technique

Run: Above Average

Pass Rush: Average

Other Spots: None

Matthews had an awful game so most of this is based on reputation.

DT Ladi Ajiboye

Round: Undrafted (Camp)

Positive: Run

Pass: Below Average

He did play with a cast on his hand so that probably affected his play.

Southern Miss.

C Cameron Zipp

Round: Undrafted

Positive: Good feet while run blocking

Negative: No feet while pass blocking

Run Blocking: Below Average

Pass Blocking: Below Average

Other Spots: OG

DT Anthony Gray

Round: 4th-5th round

Positive: Nice burst

Negative: Inconsistent pass rush

Some players for S.C. were left off due to being suspended:

TE Weslye Saunders

OT Jarriel King

Michigan:

OG Stephen Schilling

Round: 5th-6th

Positive: Size/Strength

Negative: Ability to anchor is pass blocking

Run Blocking: Above Average

OLB Jonas Mouton

Round: 4th

Positive: Speed

Negative: Size

Pass Rush: Above Average

Coverage: Average

Instincts: Average

MLB Obi Ezeh

Positive: Coverage

Negative: Speed/ Explosiveness

Run: Average

Pass Rush: ?

Coverage: Above Average

Instincts: Below Average

Notre Dame

RB Armando Allen

Positive: Solid at everything

Negative: Doesn't really stand out anywhere

Vision: Above Average

Power: Average

Homerun: Average

Elusiveness: Average

Pass Blocking: Average

OG Chris Stewart

Positive: Power

Negative: Ability to anchor consistently

Run Blocking: Average

Pass Blocking: Above Average

Other Spots: Possibly RT?

DT Ian Williams

Round: 3rd

Positive: Hand placement and ability to disengage

Negative: Balance

Other Spots: 3-4 NT

Clemson:

OT Chris Hairston

Round: 4th

Positive: Agility

Negative: Hand Placement

Agility: Above Average

RT Only: No

Other Spots: RT

DT Jarvis Jenkins

Positive: Strength

Negative: Disengagement

Pass Rush: Below Average

CB Marcus Gilchrist

Round: 3rd-4th

Positive: Versatility

Negative: Experience in Man Coverage

Reactions: Average

Man: Average

Zone: Above Average

Run Support: Above Average

Recovery Speed: Below Average

Ball Skills: Average

Other Spots: FS

S Deandre Mcdaniel

Round: 1st

Positive: Run Support

Negative: Arrest in '08

React: Rare

Man: Average

Zone: Above Average

Recovery: Above Average

Run Support: Rare

Ball Skills: Rare

Auburn:

OT Lee Ziemba

Positive: Feet

Negative: Tenacity

RT Only? No

C Ryan Pugh

Positive: Experience

Negative: No Feet

Run Blocking: Not NFL Caliber

DT Mike Blanc

Round: 5th

Negative: Pass Rush

Other Spots: 3-4 DE

OLB Craig Stevens

Positive: Coverage

Negative: Scraping Off

Run: Below Average

Instincts: Not NFL Caliber

MLB Josh Bynes

Positive: Leadership/ Ability to follow flow downfield

Negative: Over pursues at time

Other Spots: OLB

K Wes Byrum

Round: 7th-Undrafted

Positive: Accuracy

Negative: Kickoffs

Kick Power: Above Average

Accuracy: Rare

Kickoffs: Average

TCU: Too many talented players and I will have to take a look at this team at a later date. There were just too many players to look at

QB Andy Dalton

Round: 5th Round

Positive: Intangibles

Negative: Arm Strength on long/ intermediate throws

Arm Strength: Average

Accuracy: Above Average

Release: Above Average

Awareness: Average

Mobility: Above Average

OT Marcus Cannon

Round: 2nd

Negative: Aggression

Weight/ conditioning could be an issue

DT Cory Grant

Positive: Run Plugger

Negative: Burst

SMU

WR Aldrick Robinson

Round: 5th

Positive: Double Moves

Negative: Lack of strength/ ability to get off press coverage

Release: Below Average

Route Running: Above Average

Seperation: Average

Jump Ball: Average

Tackle Breaking Ability: Above Average

OLB Pete Fleps

Round: undrafted

Positive: Effort

Negative: Instincts

Coverage: Below Average

Instincts: Not NFL Caliber

Oregon State:

WR James Rodgers

My Round: 3rd-4th

Positive: Game Breaker

Route Running: Average

Separation: Above Average

Hands: Average

Jump Ball: Below Average

Breaks Tackles: Rare

Other Spots: RB

Extra: Could be a Dexter Mccluster type player. He tore his ACL a few weeks ago and his recovery will be crucial. If he comes back and looks good this projection should stand and possibly even increase.

CE Alex Linnenkohl

My Round: 5th-6th

Positive: Feet

Negative: Doesn't Latch on very well

DT Stephen Paea

My Round: 1st-2nd

Positive: Quick 1st Step

Negative: Lack of variety in pass rush moves

CB James Dockery

My Round:

My Round: 4th-5th

Positive: Shutdown Ability

Negative: Experience in Zone

Reactions: Above Average

Man: Above Average

Zone: Below Average

Recovery Speed: Average

Run Support: Average

Ball Skills: Below Average

Other Spots: FS

Extra: 40 time will be important as I've heard he isn't very fast.

Boise State:

WR Austin Pettis

My Round: 2nd- 3rd

Positive: Versatility

Negative: Route Running

Release: Average

Route Running: Below Average

Separation: Average

Jump Ball: Average

Break Tackles: Above Average

Extra: could be very similar to Josh Cribbs. Both can run the wildcat.

WR Titus Young

My Round: 2nd

Negative: Doesn't run full route tree

Route Running: Below Average

Separation: Rare

Jump Ball: Above Average

Breaks Tackles: Rare

Extra: returns kicks and punts, very hard worker.

DE Ryan Winterswyk

My Round: Undrafted

Positive: Nice Rip Move

Negative: Struggles to Disengage.

MLB Derrick Acrey

My Round: Undrafted (Camp)

Positive: Sideline to sideline player

Negative: Disengaging from blocks

Kentucky:

QB Mike Hartline

Round: 6th-7th

Positive: Release

Negative: Decision Making

Arm Strength: Above Average

Accuracy: Average

Awareness: Above Average

Mobility: Average

RB Derrick Locke

My Round: 3rd

Negative: Power

Vision: Above Average

Power: Below Average

Homerun Hitter: Above Average

Elusiveness: Above Average

DE Dequin Evans

My Round: 7th- Undrafted

Positive: Athleticism

Negative: Variety of Pass Rush Moves

DT Ricky Lumpkin

Positive: Stout In Run Game at times

Pass Rush: Not NFL Caliber

Ole Miss

DT Jerrell Powe

My Round: 2nd-3rd

Positive: Stout in run game

DT Ted Laurent

Negative: Speed

OLB Jonathan Cornell

My Round: 6th

Positive: Flows Downhill nicely

Negative: A little slow kind of a tweener between MLB and OLB

LSU

WR Terrence Toliver

Positive: Route Running

Negative: Hands at times

Route Running: Above Average

Separation: Above Average

Jump Ball: Above Average

Breaking Tackles: Above Average

OT Joseph Barksdale

Positive: Hand placement

Negative: Leg Drive

Agility: Average

RT only?: No

DT Pep Levingston

Round: 7th

Positive: Use of hands

Negative: Variety of pass rush moves

Other Spots: 3-4 DE

DT Drake Nevis

Round: 1st

Positive: Relentless, pushes the pocket, game changer

Negative: I hate to say none but I had a hard time really finding anything.

Negative: Rare

MLB Kelvin Sheppard

Round: 2nd-3rd

Positive: Run

Negative: sometimes hesitates and doesn't trust his instincts

Other Spots: OLB

K Josh Jasper

Round: 7th (I don't really believe in taking kickers higher than this)

Positive: Power

Negative: Kickoffs

Kick Power: Rare

Kick Accuracy: Above Average

Kick Offs: Above Average

Florida:

OT Marcus Gilbert

Negative: Footwork

Agility: Below Average

RT Only: Yes

Ideal RT imho.

C Mike Pouncey

Positive: Uses size to wall off defender very well. He really knows how to use his body to his advantage.

Negative: Gets Top heavy.

Other Spots: OG (he should probably only play OG because he has had problems snapping the ball at times)

OG Carl Johnson

Positive: Experience

OG Maurice Hurt

Round: Undrafted (camp)

Positive: Technique

Other Spots: RT

DT Lawrence Marsh

Run: Not NFL Caliber

OLB A.J. Jones

Negative: Wrapping up

P Chas Henry

Round: 7th (I don't believe in grabbing K/P higher)

Positive: Leg strength

Negative: Doesn't Kickoff

Kick Power: Rare

Kick Accuracy: Average

Kickoffs: N/A

Hang Time: Rare

I didn't include Ahmad Black because it's really hard to look at a safety when just watching a game because the camera isn't panned out far enough.

UCF:

OT Jah Reid

Positive: Hand Placement

Negative: Lack of Tenacity

RT Only: Yes

DE Bruce Miller

My Round: 5th-6th

Positive: Motor

Coverage?

Instincts: Above Average

Other Spots: 3-4 OLB

Extra: I really like this guy. He has been taking over games and is tied for 7th all time in sacks of players who played at a school in Florida. I think he could have alot of success at OLB. He is only 6'2 (not official) so DE isn't really an option.

Marshall

OLB Mario Harvey

Positive: Strong, stocky guy

Negative: Getting Off Blocks

Coverage: ?

Instincts: Below Average

Louisiana Tech

OT Rob Mcgill

Negative: No Base

Pass Blocking: Not NFL Caliber

RT Only: No

Toledo

C Kevin Kowalski

Round: Undrafted (Camp)

Positive: Hands

Negative: Speed

He needs to lose weight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:05 pm 

You are much higher on Notre Dame OG Chris Stewart than I am. He has a grade of 1.7 for me, which means he is purely camp fodder. Same with TCU DT Cory Grant. He has a grade of 1.9 from me. Both guys have NFL size, but are some of the slowest/non-explosive players I've seen all year long.

I also think MLB Josh Bynes is better than you think. I think he's going to be at least as good a pro as Curits Lofton, if not better, because in Bynes he flashes the athleticism to make me think he can be a better matchup in man coverage, although like Lofton he doesn't seem to have a good feel/awareness for coverage as of today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge wrote:
You are much higher on Notre Dame OG Chris Stewart than I am. He has a grade of 1.7 for me, which means he is purely camp fodder. Same with TCU DT Cory Grant. He has a grade of 1.9 from me. Both guys have NFL size, but are some of the slowest/non-explosive players I've seen all year long.

I also think MLB Josh Bynes is better than you think. I think he's going to be at least as good a pro as Curits Lofton, if not better, because in Bynes he flashes the athleticism to make me think he can be a better matchup in man coverage, although like Lofton he doesn't seem to have a good feel/awareness for coverage as of today.

I think Stewart could be a decent backup. I've only watched him play once.

Yeah that's what I thought about Grant as well. I wasn't impressed with his explosiveness which is why i felt maybe he could be a 3-4 NT, thinking about it now maybe I was too lenient on Grant.

Yeah Bynes is a great player I think he could definitely rise up given the senior bowl and combine. I think he will do well in both and work his way up.

The rounds I have them going in are before combine or senior bowl as you well know it will definitely change after those two events.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 pm 

I get that. I've seen Stewart twice and Grant three times now, and they just don't do much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:10 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
The quick answer is no to your specific question. I think Kerrigan is more of a LDE at the next level. But that doesn't mean I think he's a bad fit in Atlanta. I think you can plug him in at LDE, and then move Kroy over to RDE and you are okay. But again, I don't think Kerrigan is a "premier" pass rusher. I think he is more of a complementary guy. And if not fully explained before, I think the difference is that Abe is a premier pass rusher (or at least was), that regardless of the talent you surround him with he will get you 10+ sacks in a given year. Other guys that would fall into this group are Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, etc. you know most of the big name DEs that we think of when rattling off the list of top DEs. An even better example of this dichotomy is the old Falcons tandem of DEs in Chuck Smith and Lester Archambeau. Smith was the premier guy, Lester was the complementary guy. Meaning if he has another good pass rush (preferably a premier guy) lining up opposite him that can funnel the ball and QB to him (and take almost all the chips from the TEs and RBs), he'll be productive. But you wouldn't build your unit around him.

I want to watch the Wisconsin-Purdue game (it's on my DVR) to see how he did vs. Carimi. I probably won't get to it for at least another week.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Kerrigan in Round 1, but I don't think he's the level of pass rusher that this team really needs. And there may not be one in this entire class.

I would agree with pretty much everything you said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 pm 

I watched the South Carolina-Tennessee game earlier today...

I came away impressed by DE Cliff Matthews. Apparently, he hurt his shoulder before and the doctors took off the brace for this game, which I guess freed him up. He showed an explosive first step and flashed the shoulder dip to turn the corner. I think comparing him to John Abraham isn't that crazy, in terms of his potential. With good coaching, he is one of the few edge rushers I've seen this year that I think have premier pass rushing potential in a 4-3 scheme.

DT Ladi Ajiboye also impressed me with his motor and power. He's not probably going to be anything more htan a backup in the pros, but I think as a nose tackle in a one-gap scheme, he could be a good backup down the road and regular contributor. His problem is that he's not the biggest guy (6-1/280) and got pushed around at times vs. the run.

I wasn't too impressed with OT Jarriel King. He is a nice athlete and flashed quick feet to play LT in the pros, but he was consistently slow reacting off the snap and getting into his set, and his hands and technique were atrocious. He missed punch after punch on the edge, overextending. He also doesn't have great lower body strength or pop to get position/push as a run blocker. He's a guy that I think even if you develop him, more than likely the best you can hope for is Quinn Ojinnaka, a utility guy in a zone-blocking scheme.

Tennessee TE Luke Stocker looked solid. Good size, nice athlete, and competes as a blocker. I'm not sure he has the ideal ball skills or hands to be a top-tier TE, but certainly could be a 50+ catch guy on most teams.

I was also impressed with WR Gerald Jones in this game. He made some nice clutch catches on third downs, and looks like he has potential to develop as a decent backup/slot receiver. Probably a guy that is going to live/die by his special teams ability, but wouldn't be surprised at all if a few years down the road he was a decent No. 3 receiver. WR Denarius Moore was very productive, making several big plays down the field. Not sure he has the size, toughness to be a major factor on offense. But with his deep speed, he can find a role as a backup, and projects fairly well as a KO returner.

Profile E-mail