All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assessing Cam Newton’s pro potential
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://draftace.com/blog/2010/11/04/ass ... potential/

Assessing Cam Newton’s pro potential
By Ryan McCrystal, November 4, 2010 8:48 pm

Cam Newton seems to have found himself in a bit of hot water. A report on ESPN.com is claiming that a man “representing” Newton demanded a six-figure payment for Newton’s services this season. The NCAA is currently investigating the report.
AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 25: Quarterback Cameron Newton of the Auburn Tigers against the South Carolina Gamecocks at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 25, 2010 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

It's becoming increasingly likely that Newton will take his talents to the NFL this year

No matter what happens to Newton and Auburn, rumors had already swirled around the internet that he intended to enter the 2011 NFL Draft as a junior. The early entry would make sense given Newton’s age – he’ll turn 22 in May – but he is far from a polished quarterback.

Newton reminds me of Vince Young in 2005, who also left a year of eligibility on the table at Texas. That’s quiet a compliment, but should also serve as a warning.

Young was not ready for NFL in 2006. But the Titans played him anyway and his pure athleticism led him to NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Unfortunately that has been the highlight of Young’s five-year career, although he is starting to turn things around this season.

Young’s issues stemmed from his reliance on his feet. Given time to move around, he can make plays, but you don’t always get that time in the NFL. Newton is playing a similar style of football at Auburn.

While Newton is an elite college quarterback, muchof his success has come from running with the football. That simply won’t be an option for him in the NFL. Michael Vick is the only quarterback to consistently have success with that style of football in the NFL. But Vick is six inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter than Newton, making him significantly more elusive.

The point I’m trying to make is that teams need to be cautious when evaluating Cam Newton this offseason. It will be easy to fall in love with his physical attributes and his potential and give him a top-10 grade. However, whoever drafts Newton should be prepared to wait two or three years before they see that potential turn into consistent performance on the field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Assessing Cam Newton’s pro potential
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Newton reminds me of Vince Young in 2005, who also left a year of eligibility on the table at Texas. That’s quiet a compliment, but should also serve as a warning. ...

Young was not ready for NFL in 2006. But the Titans played him anyway and his pure athleticism led him to NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Unfortunately that has been the highlight of Young’s five-year career, although he is starting to turn things around this season. ...

The point I’m trying to make is that teams need to be cautious when evaluating Cam Newton this offseason. It will be easy to fall in love with his physical attributes and his potential and give him a top-10 grade. However, whoever drafts Newton should be prepared to wait two or three years before they see that potential turn into consistent performance on the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:20 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think that is a pretty fair comparison and that the guy is correct about cam coming out...even before this so called scandal. If AU were to go undefeated and win the national championship and Cam win the Heisman--all possible--there would be zero reason to return to Auburn. If they were to lose the next two games (UGA and Bama) and the Heisman go to someone else he still would not have a great deal of reason to come back as far as his draft position. He has not been asked to pass much and his success with it has been largely due to defenses fearing his running. But he is reasonably accurate and his physical attributes are ideal for an NFL QB. If he were to wind up somewhere likeBuffalo his work would be cut out for him and I would hope he would be given time to develop but I suspect he'd be thrown into the mix just like Young. You can do lots worse than ROY. Tenn is also a more solid franchise than many. If the draft were tomorrow, where would you see him going, Pudge?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 am 

I haven't seen the accuracy. Not to say that I have seen any great deal of inaccuracy in the 2 Auburn games I've seen so far this year. But besides being good at throwing the deep ball, I haven't seen that ability to lead receivers and throw passes on the money on the short to intermediate passes, which makes up 80-90% of the throws he'll be asked to make in the pros.

I think he would be a lock as a Top 10 pick, if not a Top 3 pick. His physical tools alone should make him a lock for that unless this off-field stuff has some serious legs and there is some rules violations and he doesn't own it. What people fail to realize with the off-field and character issues that come up in the draft process, it's not necessarily the idea that a 18-22 year old kick broke some rules. It's them not owning that they made a mistake, and being convincingly contrite about learning from those mistakes. That's what sold Chilly on Percy Harvin.

And as a Top 10 pick, I don't think I would have a problem with that unless he goes to a disfunctional unstable team that isn't going to do the right things to build around him.

I don't think the issue with Newton like it is for most athletic mobile QBs is what he does in Year 1. It's really how much progress he makes from Year 1 to say Year 3. And in the wrong environment, where bad coaching and bad drafting don't allow him to develop, he's not going to show the progress in that time span, and once that 3rd year rolls around and he's still inconsistent, people are going to start to turn on him just like with VY.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He really has not been asked to throw much in the manner you speak. It isn't that he is inaccuare thusly or been proven inaccurate it is just that I have not seen many attempts of that sort. He does throw a nice deep ball and has made some nice out pattern/sideline throws but not a lot of the short moving target stuff. At the beginning of the year before they got all this inertia going I didn't think they were going to really be notable because the passing game looked weak and the defense horrible. The D is still questionable but they have proven--at least against Ole Miss--they they will beat you with the pass or other runners.

I don't really know a lot about the guy but he has been pretty active in going to the local grade schools above and beyond what is common with the team. He's either a pretty good kid or does a great job of acting like one. Big time college is such a fraudulent business on so many levels it's hard to know where to start and stop. One of the reasons I prefer pro. He's never been asked the most important question: Are you a Falcons fan?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:11 pm 

Yeah, bnb from what I can tell Auburn's offense is run with Cam, run with Cam, and then when you commit to trying to stop him running, he hits you with the deep ball down the field. It's just hard to give a guy too much benefit of the doubt where in a given game he may only be asked to make 5 "NFL" throws. I saw him vs. Arkansas and Clemson, and in both games he only attempted 14 passes, and besides dropping my jaw on a few deep throws, that is certainly not a good enough sample size for me to think he's going to be great making all the throws he will need to. But while I have no reason to think he can do those things, I have no reason to think he can't do them as well.

As far as character goes, from everything I've heard, read, and seen he is a fun-loving guy that spends a lot of time with the local kids, so I would be surprised if we found out he stabbed some guy. But I'm not sure of the on-field character, which is much more important with the QB position. How well does he deal with adversity, etc. I have no reason to doubt that he struggles to deal with adversity, but it's very different in college where you can always just tuck it and run and make the play when you're team needs you, and when you're in college, when you have to make the on the money throw with a defender in your face and a corner draped all over your receiver...

But at the end of the day I like Cam Newton. I like his potential. But if I was an NFL team, I wouldn't quite hitch my wagon to him as far as being a franchise QB. But I would like his chances better in a place like San Fran, than in like Oakland or Buffalo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

best QB money can buy! :mrgreen:

Why does Cam Newton wear #2?
Because $200,000 wouldn’t fit on the jersey!!!

:ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:53 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I agree with Pudge. He needs to come back to school, if possible, and work on throwing the ball. The accuracy, the touch, and the decision making just aren't where they need to be yet imho.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:07 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I guess we are laready seeing his "pro potential." :lol: He'd be insane to come back for another year. He may not have a choice! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
I guess we are laready seeing his "pro potential." :lol: He'd be insane to come back for another year. He may not have a choice! :oops:

I cant believe I let that easy one get away :P pro potential:classic!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm 

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=3660

Cameron Newton’s potential fit in the 2011 Draft

2 Dec
Looking over the shoulder of (collegiate) greats

Staring over the shoulders of (collegiate) greatness

A hot topic currently swirling among scouting circles is the viability of Auburn’s Cameron Newton as a legitimate first round talent for the 2011 NFL Draft.

To take a closer look at this inquiry, TFY’s DraftInsider.net would like to welcome our newest guest contributor, Richard Alan Phipps.

Phipps take the time to break down two similar talents who were drafted highly as they compared with the Tigers’ Heisman Trophy front runner…

With the relentless spectacle surrounding the recruitment of Auburn junior gunslinger Cameron Newton likely to linger long after his weird eligibility journey earlier in the week, most draft pundits and college football observers expect the athletic quarterback to announce his intentions to enter the 2011 NFL Draft shortly after the Tigers impending bowl game in January. As Stanford’s junior signal-caller, Andrew Luck, settles in at the top of most draft boards, followed by Arkansas junior Ryan Mallet and Washington senior Jake Locker, Newton continues to carve his niche into the cluttered landscape of this draft class.

Scouts and evaluators have mixed reviews on Newton as a quarterback transitioning to the NFL.

“A prospect that could revolutionize the position,” claimed one national scout.

Another insists, “Newton will use his athleticism to transition to an h-back or he’ll go the rounds.”

Regardless of the shady recruitment of Newton, his prospects as a pro-caliber quarterback have skyrocketed due to his play on the field. Newton has an impressive arsenal of tools, possessing elite arm-strength, impressive mobility to get out of the pocket, and ideal height for the position. Newton also has an uncanny ability to produce under the lights, and he seems to possess that “it” factor, as his head coach, Gene Chizik, told the nation months ago.

“You can just see Cameron, physically, when he walks in the door you know he’s a very athletic, very talented young man,” Chizik said at his SEC media day in July.

There are detractors out there, and they are quick to point out Newton’s problems, mainly a host of footwork issues and mechanical concerns in the pocket. He has a bad tendency of staring down one side of the field before he tucks it and runs, and the offensive philosophies of Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn all limit coverage reads in the passing game. He is fairly accurate out of the pocket, but he consistently shows bad balance and telegraphs too many of his intended passes.

Outside of his physical tools, it is hard to evaluate Newton without bringing up the names Tim Tebow and Vince Young; two mobile quarterbacks with similar collegiate success and cult followings and two players who left lasting impressions on the field in their final seasons. Each one of these prospects faced three daunting challenges in their final season that many professional scouts would equate to playing on Sunday’s in the NFL.

Vince Young
( @ Ohio State )

18/29 62% 270yds 2 td 2 int

76 rush yds
( Oklahoma )

14/27 52% 241yds 3 td 0 int

45 rush yds
( USC )

30/40 75% 267yds 0 td 0 int

200 rush yds 3 td

Tim Tebow
( @ Alabama )

20/35 57% 247yds 1 td 1 int

63 rush yds
( Tennessee )

14/19 74% 115yds 0 td 1 int

76 rush yds 1 td
( LSU )

11/16 69% 134yds 1 td 1 int

38 rush yds 0 td
Cameron Newton ( @ Alabama)

13/20 65% 216yds 3 td 0 int

39 rush yds 1 td
( LSU )

10/16 63% 86yds 0 td 0 int

217 rush yds 2 td
( Arkansas )

10/14 71% 140yds 1 td 0 int

188 rush yds 3 td

When it comes to comparisons with Young and Tebow, it is often the things that are left unspoken that seem to differentiate these prospects in terms of draft positioning. Young, for example, was drafted by an Oklahoma native in Bud Adams, an owner with strong ties to the state of Texas and its university. Young has yet to claim his position as the unquestionable full-time starter for the Tennessee Titans, seemingly in a constant struggle to hold off the ageless Kerry Collins while continuing to battle maturity issues and mediocre success at the position.

Tim Tebow, the quintessential poster-boy for the Cameron Newton hype, brightened living rooms and bars around the country for four years at Florida begging the question… If Tebow was Superman, what does that make Newton, a player who has put up similar seasonal numbers in just one year of SEC play? If Tebow only warranted the 25th pick in the draft, where does that put Newton in terms of market value?

The Denver Broncos ultimately pulled the trigger on Tebow late in the 1st round of the 2010 NFL Draft, amid some controversy over the pick. In terms of value, Tebow brought instant financial benefits to Denver, along with a Christian pedigree and a strong work-ethic that all coaches crave. Tebow has a total of three yards passing for his rookie season. The single completion being a goal-line touchdown pass.

Newton has led his team to success this season using an offensive philosophy tailored to his individual talents. Like Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick at the beginning of the decade, Newton’s coaching staff will not put the career 63% passer in many situations where he must complete a pass, something that many NFL brass will frown upon. One undeniable fact working in his favor is his decision-making in these big games, throwing no interceptions while enduring enormous pressure at certain points in all three of his big games.

As the hype and glamor of the college football season winds down and scouts get the film rolling on Cameron Newton, expect them to find too many flaws and questions marks in his toolbox to warrant a high first-round grade. The grumblings surrounding his recruitment, along with his felony arrest and consequential court approved deal to dismiss the charges and enter a diversion program, will cast a giant cloud over his head for some teams in the league. Still, with is ability to create buzz and excitement, and the potential to strike gold with his physical talents, his name will probably be called late on the first night of the annual draft.

Profile E-mail