It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torrey Smith going pro
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ly-to-nfl/

Not a big surprise. Maybe there was a chance that he wouldn't go pro after a lackluster bowl performance.

Whether he goes in the 1st round I think will be largely dependent on his 40 time. I expect him to run in the low 4.4s which should lock him in as a Top 40 pick, and potentially push his stock in the Top 25-30 picks. If he can run in the 4.3s, then I think he could move into the Top 15-20 picks.

I've said it a couple of times already, but he reminds me a lot of Roddy. Same size/frame, similar speed (although Smith might be a full or half-step faster), and has that same sort of blue collar toughness that I think Roddy has shown the past 3 years. He's a willing blocker, and flashes good short-area quicks and burst to think he can do a good job separating when he refines his route-running.

He doesn't wow you when you watch him, but there is enough there to think that if he has a good work ethic, he can mold himself into a go-to No. 1 target just like Roddy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Torrey Smith going pro
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:57 pm 

I agree on Smith. A player to keep an eye on for the Falcon's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Torrey Smith going pro
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 pm 

Scouting report from a Packer fan. Would fit our scheme well also. Could move into the slot until the Falcon's get rid of Jenkins or share time with Jenks and Douglas if Douglas improves.

Scouting Report:

Well put together. Looks & plays the part. Good size, excellent speed and strong. A (Z) wide receiver at Maryland who is also a dangerous return man. Has loose hips and seems to have a knack for finding soft spots in zone coverage. Has more then enough speed to get behind almost any corner. Likes to run go (9) & "posts" (7) routes and runs a good "slug-o" route as well. He can be dangerous when he gets into the open field and when he runs routes "in the seam". Has decent hands but he allows balls to "get in on him" to much, but that is correctable. Has a great attitude and work ethic. Studies his position and seems to be a quick student. Much more advanced as a receiver then former teammate and current Oakland Raider Darrius Heyward-Bey. Smith is also a really good run blocker and not afraid to "mix it up" with corners and safeties. As a returner Smith set the school record for career all-purpose yardage, which surpassed Lamont Jordan's previous mark of 4,960 yards. In 2010 he had 65 receptions for 1,065 yards and tied a school record with 12 TD's.

I asked a couple people I know that are current scouts and they had Smith as a solid 2nd round prospect that could sneak into the late 1st round with a strong combine and pro day.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/1 ... otball.jpg

Summary:

I think Smith is a player Packers fans should keep a close eye on this off-season. He would not only fill a need as a kick and punt returner, he would also be the Packers 4th WR (should James Jones leave via FA or Donald Driver retires/gets cut) in 2011 and a potential excellent compliment to Greg Jennings as the #2 with #1 ability in the future. He is well put together and reminds me of a taller, faster Sterling Sharpe (with out the excellent hands). I think IF he were to be the guy the Packers pick, Jimmy Robinson (the Packers WR coach) can turn him into a Pro Bowl WR. He already has Pro Bowl return ability. He could be an excellent addition to the Packers offense and a player that would fit nicely into it. I REALLY like this kids make-up and he would fit the "Packer Mold" as a player that loves football and a player that is an extremely hard worker (on and off the field).

Profile E-mail