It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scout's mock draft
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 am 

This is only a Falcon mock draft but here is my first one.

1. Justin Houston - I'd like to see Kerrigan but don't think he'll last and I think Houston will be the def end on the board. He as the first step but as a long way to go to develop moves vs pro tackles.

2. Jerrel Jernigan/Randall Cobb - I was hoping for a no2 receiver to compete with Jenkins but I think a slot receiver will be the way the Falcon's go. I think Harry Douglas can bounce back but having that insurance will help fears if Douglas doesn't perform or in case of injury. Also Jernigan can return kicks making him more valuable in case Weems goes down with an injury.

3.Jordan Todman/Derrick Locke - Todman is healthy most of the time and can give the offense a new weapon.Maybe Mularkey gives him more carrier than some think because of Turner's inability to get to the line quickly? I thought about waiting one more round for a back but I think Todman if he is still available would be a choice the Falcon's want to make because he as shown ability to be an offenses main weapon without injury.

4.DJ Williams - you could flip the positon 3rd and 4th round between tight end and back in my opinion. I just think Williams would make sense because he can stretch a defense and gives us a reliable tight end who can catch and hopefully be able to block which is a weakness of his right now. We might see two tight end sets more because of Williams inability to block.

5.Cliff Mathews - I know the Falcon's drafted hosuton in round 1 to play def end but Mathews value is to much to pass on . Intriguing prospect and you can never have enough def ends who can rush the passer.
6. BPA
7.BPA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Scout's mock draft
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Williams would be a steal in the 4th, which is why I doubt he lasts that long.

And yes, it is possible to have "too many" pass rushing defensive ends. A regular NFL rotation isn't going to be able to handle more than 2-3 pass rushers. Otherwise you're going to have a Sidbury situation where a guy is inactive most weeks, or active and probably weakening your special teams because that's a spot that you could plug in a better LB or DB for coverage. I think Matthews has upside, but at this point he doesn't seem to offer much more than Sidbury. And if you keep both him and Houston, you likely have to cut Davis, Anderson, and Sid, and by doing that you've significantly weakened the Falcons run defense, just to add a player that probably isn't going to be an impact pass rusher until at least 2-3 years from now IF EVER.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:56 am 

Well I don't know maybe the Falcon's have lost confidence in Sidbury. Hardly saw any action during the season. Maybe its wishful thinking but I think Mathews would be a nice developmental player and could surprise. I have Todman or Locke in the 3rd round but I could easily flip DJ Williams for the 3rd and running back in the 4th. I feel Hunter the running back from OSU the Falcon's just looked at would be a nice player to have. People harp on 40 times and the kid from Houston Texans ran a 4.69 so I think 40 times are a bit overrated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am 

The Falcons haven't lost confidence in Sidbury.

But even if they did, you don't use a 5th round pick to upgrade over a disappointing 4th round pick.

I don't have a beef with Matthews. I think he's talented with upside. He's one of the few DEs in this class, that if the Falcons were not to find the DE they wanted in the 1st round, IMO adds value in the middle rounds.

But the minute you draft Houston, you've made the need for a player like Matthews obsolete and his value minimal. So even if they had lost confidence in Sid, the minute they drafted Houston, Sid's roster spot belongs to him. And more than likely, if the team really likes Houston (and presumably they do if they take him with their No. 1 pick), he'll also push either Anderson or Davis off the roster.

So if you want to draft another DE and you want him to make the roster by cracking your 4-man rotation, then he's going to have to be an upgrade over Davis and Anderson. And that doesn't mean in terms of his pass rush potential, that means in terms of his run stopping ability. Because that is exactly the role/niche that 4th DE (Davis or Anderson) is going to fill with the team. So if your 2nd DE draft pick is going to play at all as a rookie, he has to be a good enough run defender that the team can cut both Davis and Anderson and not skip a beat. And if he's stuck on the practice squad, you're likely to have another team go off and sign him and you get absolutely no return on your investment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:57 am 

After watching some more film on Jernigan I love his explosiveness and some how I think he ends up on the Falcon's. Sure I would like a no2 receiver more but Jernigan's ability to make things happen ,multiple positions just would suit our team needs to a tee at slot. He might even see time at running back with the 3rd down issues therefore maybe a linebacker,off lineman round 4.
I'd love to have Kendall Hunter round 2 but I think its one or the other of Jenirgan.I'm not sure Houston will be there round 1 or Clayborne which means our most pressing need def end doesn't get addresed. I doubt we find our nickel back in the draft which is why I didn't include one unless TD surprises us and goes corner with pick 27.

1.Justin Houston
2.Jerel Jernigan
3.DJ Williams
4. best running back on board

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 am 

NFL Draftcountdown just posted their two round mock draft. Scott Wright as the Falcon's taking Justin Houston and Jerrel Jernigan. Hey what's Wright copying my draft for? :D Bruce Carter was off the board thus I don't mind the Jernigan pick although he can't play no2 receiver. Some how the Falcon's need to find a receiver that can push Jenkins. I'm not saying start over him in the begining but a receiver who can grow into the role and I don't think Jernigan is the man. I would love Austin Pettis and he is one of the few big receivers who could play both slot and no2. I love speed and the home run threat Jernigan gives us but someone has to push Jenkins.

Profile E-mail