Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc ... 5/28105637

Five quietly creeping into 1st round conversation
Posted on: March 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Score: 134
Log-in to rate:

Log-in to rate:

Over the past week, I've spoken to representatives of nearly a third of the league's teams in an effort to nail down which 32 players will hear their name called out during the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

At this point, there appears to be some consensus on roughly 25 players as first round picks. There are another 15, however, vying for those final eight spots.

We all know that Washington quarterback Jake Locker and Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith are among those players on the bubble. But there are several other players who have generated significantly less buzz but who are quietly earning serious first round consideration from some clubs.

Here are five surprising names you could wind up hearing on April 28.

(Players are listed alphabetically)

DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina : There are still plenty of teams who remain nervous about Austin's intangibles, but of the five listed here, the former UNC defensive tackle is the most talented football player. Teams are as willing to gamble on size and athleticism on the defensive line as any position in football (other than perhaps QB). If the anticipated early run on defensive linemen transpires, don't be surprised if a 4-3 team drafting in the mid 20s to low 30s gambles on Austin's upside.

QB Andy Dalton, TCU : I know of plenty of teams who grade Dalton as a late 2nd to mid 3rd round pick, but most believe he'll come off the board sooner than that. The belief among many, in fact, is that Dalton will be off the board by the mid portion of the second frame. That could push a team like Seattle to take him at No. 25 or for another club to trade back into the late portion of the first round to secure his services, similar to how Detroit traded up (with the Vikings) last year to nab running back Jahvid Best.

OC Rodney Hudson, Florida State : Florida's Mike Pouncey is getting most of the attention of draft fans and what little remains is generally being dedicated to Baylor's Danny Watkins -- at least when it comes to interior offensive linemen as possible first round picks. There do appear to be clubs with contingency plans involving Hudson, however. The former Seminole is an exceptionally safe player capable of contributing immediately.

OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona : After a rather ho-hum senior season at defensive end for the Wildcats, Reed's stock skyrocketed with a strong Senior Bowl and Combine. Add to this the fact that roughly half of the league's teams are now running a 3-4 base and this outside linebacker prospect is getting a lot of late first round attention.

DE Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh : Sheard is smaller than teams would like as a 4-3 defensive end and perhaps not quite as smooth an athlete as teams would like as a 3-4 rush linebacker. That said, I've spoken to representatives of clubs operating both alignments that feel that he could wind up a pretty solid player in either front due to Sheard's natural pass rush skills, surprising strength and high-revving motor.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Five quietly creeping into 1st round
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 am 

I can't see Sheard being a late first rounder sorry. I've heard Hudson could be a boom or bust type of lineman. Dalton and add in Ponder why would teams that need a QB in the top 15 draft one in the first round? Carolina,Buffalo,Cincy (if trade Palmer) etc could wait to get Dalton or Ponder in the 2nd instead of using their no1 pick for possibly Gabbeet or Newton.

Reed and austin could be possible late first rounders. Seems like the def tackles Wilkerson and now Austin could be nice late first rounders although Austin I question since he never as performed up to ability at North Carolina.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Five quietly creeping into 1st round
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 pm 

thescout wrote:
I've heard Hudson could be a boom or bust type of lineman.

Then you've heard wrong about Hudson. He's one of the safer picks in this entire draft class. The issue with HUdson is that he is a good college guard, but doesn't have the size you want ot play there in the pros in most schemes. Put him on Houston or any other team that has a zone blocking line, and he can be a solid OG. But for most other teams, he projects better inside at center. And the only concern there is how quickly is he going to transition to OC. He should transition well. I think as a center he has the potential to be a Pro Bowler, somewhere around where LeCharles Bentley or Olin Kreutz.

He's one of the few OCs in this draft class IMO that clearly have a high enough upside over Hawley that I think it would be worthwhile to draft him for the Falcons. Problem is that the Falcons have many other more pressing needs and it will likely require the Falcons using their 2nd round pick on him at a very non-priority position.

Profile E-mail