It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would Denver trade the Falcs picks 36,46 for Falcs 27,59?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 am 

What are the chances Denver trades back into the 1st round Atlanta's 27th pick and 59th for Atlanta to get their 36 and 46 picks.Atlanta may do the deal if all the pass rushers are gone they want. Maybe Denver does really want a QB and is afraid someone will get their thus they move up. Then again I'm sure other teams will offer Denver a good deal if they want to move up. Would you do this deal if your the Falcon's and Denver is willing.

The Falcon's could then be set up for T smith or Randolph and move up 13 slots to get another player they want. Jenrigan could be off the board by 59 or maybe the Falcon's want both T Smith and Randolph or someone else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Would Denver trade the Falcs picks 36,46 for Falcs 27,59
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The math doesn't add up, Atlanta moving 9 spots back in the first to move 13 up in the second? Perhaps if Denver through in a 6th or 7th rounder too, but Atlanta already has plenty of late round pics.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't have the chart handy, but it seems like it would be closer if they gave us their two 2nds, for our 1st and 3rd. Then we'd have three 2nds, and not pick again until the 4th.

I might do either deal, though. Being in the meat of that 2nd round isn't a bad place to be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

According to the chart, it does add up. 36th and 46th = 980 points. 27th + 59th = 990 points.

First of all, I don't see Denver trading back into the first round for any reason, let alone to get a QB. Only scenario that makes sense in my widdle bwain is if they take Peterson at No. 2 and then move back into the 1st to get a DT like Paea or Wilkerson.

Like all trade down scenarios, it always depends on who is there. The Falcons almost certainly will get a better player at No. 27 than they could get at No. 36. But if you're moving back with the intention of targeting a specific player, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Because that move can be telegraphed, which gives other teams opportunities to move around to get that guy as well.

And don't forget Denver is one of the few teams that has a strong need at TE (St. Louis is probably the other one), so they too could be targeting Rudolph, and might be more willing to take him at No. 27 than the Falcons would be, thus is the reason for pre-empting the trade to begin with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:35 pm 

I was listening to the NFL Network and they were saying that Elway when asked about Tebow if he was their man (Denver's) he never gave a definite yes. I would think since they have Orton they'd give it another year to draft a QB plus it makes the 1st round pick of Tebow sort of a waste. I'd love to have to mid round 2nd rounders moving us up from 59 but don't see to many trade partners. I'm just bringing this up if all the def ends are gone which could take place. What's your thoughts on Brooks Reed? I looked at your scouting report but still maybe your opinion as changed Pudge a little since then?

Sometimes you can get insite on what might happen in a draft by looking at fan mock drafts and it looks like Houston could very well go to Tampa Bay. Clayborn would be the only def end left with New Orleans possibly going in that direction of a def end. Who knows maybe Atlanta likes another player at a different positon but the possibility of getting one of the so called better def ends might not happen. I don't see the Falcon's taking a linebacker unless you consider Reed a OLB/def end type nor do I see a def tackle being taken. I doubt corner is the main priority in round 1 thus offense is a possibility at 27. I doubt Ingram falls to 27 which means Rudolph is a real possibility.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:07 am 

I've heard the scenarios about Denver wanting a QB too lately, and I think it's all a smokescreen. I mean anything is possible. But to me Devner would be retarded to use anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick on a QB this year. They have almost no good 4-3 personnel on the WORST defense in the league, and they are worried about QB? They have Orton, Tebow, and Quinn. There is nothing about that trio that doesn't deserve one year to get the job done. If they blow, then Denver has carte blanch to blow a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB next year. Maybe they luck up and get a guy like Luck. But if you're a team like Denver, unless Dalton/Ponder/Locker slide to you in the middle 2nd round, then you're wasting your time.

Here are the facts as I see them. There is only 1 player on the Broncos roster right now that is projected to be a starter this year, and that player is likely to remain a starter by 2013. That player of course is Elvis Dumervil. The other 10 players that will make up their starting defense over the next year or two is completely expendable. Again, they would be retarded to waste their time on a QB, especially if that means trading up to get one.

As for Reed, I like him as a prospect. Enjoyed watching him play at Arizona with his above average speed and high motor. And he was a guy that I considered a mid-to-late round sleeper throughout the fall. But his stock has soared since the end of the year, now to a point where I think he's overrated. IMO, he's not a better NFL prospect than Biermann is to date. I think Reed can be a good No. 3 DE, but that IMO is all he'll ever really be. I don't think he's big or fast enough to be an impact pass rusher. He can be a good pass rusher that like Biermann can reliably give you 3-5 sacks off the bench. But anything more than that is probably pushing it. I don't think it's crazy that 3-4 teams are high enough on him to draft him in the 2nd round (I still think the 1st is a reach). But I think it's silly for 4-3 teams to be seeing him as anything more than 4th round fodder.

People compare him to Clay Matthews, because they both have almost identical size/frame, similar speed/athleticism, similar high motor, and similar long blonde hair. But he's not Clay Matthews. Matthews, a guy I wasn't super high on coming out of USC at least had experience playing LB and playing in space. He played in coverage, and was a good run defender from the LB position. I do not see the same things from Reed on tape. So while he might have comparable potential to Matthews as a pass rusher from the OLB position, it's much less likely that he will impact as quickly as Matthews has because he's moving to a new position.

Again I like Reed as a good No. 3, below average No. 2. That's not a player that I want to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 am 

Thanks Pudge for the insite on Denver and Reed. That's what I thought before on Reed but got to hyped up on other draft sites thinking he's better than he is. Well we don't need a no3 potential pass rusher but we need some potential stars. I only hope if all the decent prospects are gone by 27 TD doesn't overdraft and take a def end just to fill the need and the player is average in his career. Sometimes you got to fold your cards or risk hurting the team with the pick you make. I know you may not like Acho but I'd take him in the 2nd round if he lasts.

I've been readin on another site where the draft expert said we have been talking to Harris from Miami alot. It wouldn't surpirse me if Harris, Rudolph,OLB or tackle could be the 27th pick. Ingram probably won't make it so I'm not including running back at 27. If we can't fix def end with 27 then Harris could give the falcon's depth and eventually replace DRob or Grimes in a few yrs. I'm not sure what the agenda is if all the def end prospects are gone at 27 knowing that Jernigan seems to be a perfect fit at slot and the Falcon's wanting Acho also. Obviosuly trading down would be the way to go if it reached this point but if no other team wants to trade up then we are stuck. I think Acho would be a good no3 and likely replace Biermann after next year. Jernigan at 27 is overdrafting him and I would much rather have Torrey Smith who can play both slot and no2 sharing time with Jenkins. Oh well so many scenarios it can drive you nuts to think about.

Denver, agreed. It would be dumb to move up to get a QB now.Wait till next year and improve the roster.Almost no way I would give up 2 no 2 picks for one late first rounder since Denver as so many holes on defense.

Profile E-mail