All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pudge's 1st 2012 Mock Draft - Top 46 Picks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/2012-mock-draft-top-46-picks-5054

2012 Mock Draft – Top 46 Picks

November 1st, 2011 Aaron Freeman

I spent my bye week trying to catch up on as much college football as I could to prep for this mock draft. It’s the first 46 picks, because at this point, the Falcons first pick will be the 46th overall due to their trading their top pick to Cleveland. So here is my mid-October projection of what next year’s draft could look like through the first round and a half.

1. Indianapolis Colts – QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*
Whether Peyton Manning returns healthy to the Colts next year or not, the Colts will be smart to grab Luck, a player that many consider the best QB prospect since Manning came out in 1998.

2. Miami Dolphins – QB Matt Barkley, USC*
Barkley is not in the same class as Luck, but he’s a pretty good QB prospect that can make up for the Dolphins previous mistake of passing on Matt Ryan.

3. Arizona Cardinals – OT Matt Kalil, USC*
The Cardinals need to solidify their offensive line, starting with their left tackle spot. Kalil is a quality prospect that should allow them to move Levi Brown back to his more natural right tackle spot, killing two birds with one stone.

4. St. Louis Rams – OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*
Jason Smith has struggled at right tackle, and Rodger Saffold has not held up at left tackle. They need to add a blocker that can help out and fix one of those issues.

5. Carolina Panthers – DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina*
Charles Johnson is a solid pass rusher, but they need to find someone to play opposite him. Coples is a premier talent, arguably one of the best since Julius Peppers to come out of Chapel Hill.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars – WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State*
The Jaguars need a No. 1 target for Blaine Gabbert to throw to, and Blackmon has comparable skillset to Terrell Owens.

7. Minnesota Vikings – OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford*
The Vikings need a left tackle to replace Bryant McKinnie since Charlie Johnson was never going to cut it.

8. Seattle Seahawks – QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
Tannehill is low on experience, but high on potential and is the quality passer that Pete Carroll has been waiting for.

9. Denver Broncos – RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*
Richardson offers Adrian Peterson-like potential to stabilize the Broncos ground game while Tim Tebow is under center.

10. Washington Redskins – QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*
Jones is not quite Sam Bradford, but a good QB prospect that Mike Shanahan can grow and develop in his version of the West Coast Offense.

11. Philadelphia Eagles – DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
The Eagles need to beef up their run defense, and solidifying their front with a player like Thompson should help.

12. Cleveland Browns – WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*
Jeffery gives the Browns a No. 1 target in the same vein as Brandon Marshall.

13. Dallas Cowboys – CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*
Kirkpatrick should improve a pair of corners that have underachieved the past few years.

14. Tennessee Titans – DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*
The Titans get to beef up their pass rush with a speedy edge guy like Taylor.

15. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta) – DE Nick Perry, USC*
Perry is a solid edge rusher that will give them another pass rusher that can team with Jabaal Sheard.

16. New York Jets – CB Morris Claiborne, LSU*
Claiborne gives the Jets another big, press corner that can help them match up better than Cromartie.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
Dennard is a physical press corner that should match up well in Tampa’s Cover-2 scheme.

18. Kansas City Chiefs – LB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame*
The Chiefs get a solid physical presence in the middle of their defense with a big, rangy linebacker like Te’o.

19. San Diego Chargers – S Mark Barron, Alabama
Barron offers what they thought they were getting at strong safety when they signed Bob Sanders.

20. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland) – OG David DeCastro, Stanford*
DeCastro is a Logan Mankins-like guard that can potentially replace Bobbie Williams, a pending free agent.

21. Chicago Bears – LB Zach Brown, North Carolina
Brown is a fast playmaker that should help replace Lance Briggs on the outside.

22. Houston Texans – CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*
Kareem Jackson hasn’t made strides like they hoped, and they need to continue to improve this secondary.

23. New England Patriots (from New Orleans) – DE Vinny Curry, Marshall
The Patriots transition to the 4-3 needs more youth and speed off the edge, and Curry provides it.

24. New York Giants – TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson*
Allen is an athletic pass catcher that should help replace Kevin Boss.

25. New England Patriots – OC Mike Brewster, Ohio State
Brewster should replace Dan Koppen at center, who is a potential free agent and coming off an injury.

26. Cincinnati Bengals – RB Lamar Miller, Miami (FL)*
Miller is a speedy back that can help solidify the Bengals ground attack better than Bernard Scott.

27. Baltimore Ravens – OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
Adams has the potential to play either side of the line, and offer them another piece up front to team opposite Oher.

28. Buffalo Bills – LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*
Kuechly is a tackling machine in the middle and should be a nice young heir apparent to Nick Barnett.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers – DT Alameda Ta’amu, Washington
The Steelers need to start to develop the replacement to Casey Hampton.

30. Detroit Lions – CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech*
Hosley is a ballhawk that should help improve a lacking Lions secondary to solidify their defense.

31. San Francisco 49ers – S Robert Lester, Alabama*
They have a number of journeyman veterans, but Lester adds much needed youth.

32. Green Bay Packers – LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
The Packers need to find another pass rusher to put opposite Clay Matthews.

SECOND ROUND

33. Miami – OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina*
34. Indianapolis – DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State*
35. St. Louis – WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
36. Philadelphia (from Arizona) – S Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami (FL)*
37. Jacksonville – CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
38. Minnesota – S T.J. McDonald, USC*
39. Carolina – CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia
40. Denver – QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
41. Seattle – RB Bernard Pierce, Temple*
42. Philadelphia – LB Dont’a Hightower, Alabama*
43. Cleveland – QB Robert Griffin, Baylor*
44. Dallas – OC Ben Jones, Georgia
45. Washington – WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
46. Atlanta – TE Orson Charles, Georgia*
If the Falcons lose Tony Gonzalez to retirement, they will be on the lookout for a suitable replacement. Charles is a guy that is a solid pass catcher that has potential to get better as a blocker in a similar mold to past Bulldog tight ends like Randy McMIchael and Ben Watson.

* Indicates an underclassman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pudge's 1st 2012 Mock Draft - Top 46 Picks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We have three positions that we need to upgrade IMO OG, TE, and CB. I hope that we draft the BPA at a position of need. I think that our OG position is more important than a nickel corner or a seam stretching TE, but a first round talent at CB slips I hope we jump on it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:48 pm 

Well given how the Falcons draft based on need, if Tony Gonzalez is not in a Falcon uniform and the Falcons don't sign a free agent like Fred Davis, John Carlson, or Martellus Bennett, then tight end is going to be viewed as their top need.

The Falcons are going to want to use their top pick not on someone that is going to compete for a starting job, but someone that will presumably be able to walk into camp and outright win it within the first week.

It's probable that won't be the case at guard. Reynolds and Johnson presumably will be back, and Blalock isn't going anywhere. Unless a really talented player (such as DeCastro) falls to us in Round 2, it's likely that Reynolds and Johnson will be the front runners at RG, and any rookie draft pick will spend his entire rookie season inactive if he doesn't unseat either of them or doesn't show that he can also fill in as the top reserve at center behind Hawley as well.

I do think CB is a possibility in Round 2 if say a player like Chase Minnifield is there.

I would like the see the Falcons address their O-line with their top pick, and personally as of today believe it's their top need going into next off-season. But unless the Falcons move Sam Baker or Reynolds/Johnson really struggle in the 2nd half of the season, I don't see it happening with their top pick in the draft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Anybody checked out Wilson this year?? Still a junior, but if he keeps this up then he'll have to go pro...

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-b ... 3021.story

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would really like a proven lineman throught free agency but at first glimpse it looks like the only lineman that might hit the market that are worth anything is Ben Grubbs and Bobbie Williams. I would love to draft a G but I dont want us to draft one just because we have a weak link up front in G.Reynolds so we settle for the best G available. Another interesting situation would be that if a really good T prospect was to slide would you draft him and consider moving Clabo to RG since he has played there in the past?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
- Anybody checked out Wilson this year?? Still a junior, but if he keeps this up then he'll have to go pro...

Widetrak, I talk about David Wilson in this thread/post. I think there's a chance he could be a Top 50 pick, right now, I'm projected him as a late 2nd round that probably goes in the same range as guys like Leshoure and Vereen last year. Although if he does come out and kill it on the 40 time, then he could move up in the draft. It should be a fairly fluid year for RBs just like last year. Last year, clearly Ingram was No. 1, but who the No. 2 thru 5 guys was pretty fluid. It'll be the same this year with Richardson as the clear-cut No. 1, but who people like after that will probably shift as we get closer to the draft.

Reezy the Savior wrote:
I would really like a proven lineman throught free agency but at first glimpse it looks like the only lineman that might hit the market that are worth anything is Ben Grubbs and Bobbie Williams.

Don't forget about Carl Nicks. With Drew BRees and Marques Colston also in contract years, there's a chance he won't be tagged. Although one presumes that the Saints get a deal done with Brees after the season, and then will probably be more willing to tag Nicks rather than Colston, but there's always the possibility he is available.

But you're right, other than that nobody else really stands out. A bunch of quality starters, but nobody that wows you as an obvious upgrade over what we already have.

Reezy the Savior wrote:
Another interesting situation would be that if a really good T prospect was to slide would you draft him and consider moving Clabo to RG since he has played there in the past?

It's an interesting idea that would make sense if you're getting a RT that you believe can be an almost immediate upgrade over Clabo (i.e. better run blocker, more athletic pass protector). So far this year, this year's OT class hasn't really wowed me. Personally, from what I've seen this year, after Matt Kalil there is a significant drop-off. Granted, I've only watched Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff each once this year, but neither wowed me as potential Top 10 picks in that one showing. I haven't gotten to see Mike Adams yet this year, but last year he looked like a solid RT prospect, so that might be a worthwhile option.

But there aren't a ton of guys that I see that would be good bets to step in right away as a starting RT that would make shifting Clabo to RG worthwhile. I have yet to see that good "Sebastian Vollmer" candidate that stands out.

Again, I'll note I have graded Mike Adams, Zebrie Sanders, or Andrew Datko yet, but based off what I saw of Sanders and Datko last year, I'm not holding my breath either one is that guy. And assuming Adams hasn't dropped off too much, but besides him I don't have a senior OT graded higher than a 4.8, and that's the upper end of the scale of what I consider developmental starters:

4.7-4.9 - These players are just on the cusp of where you think they can be starters. They have the potential, but are lacking in at least one key area that limits their potential. If they do become starters, you think they would make nice complementary options, but may not be talented enough to stick beyond their rookie contract, and if they do it's more likely to be as a role player.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow I type a looooong response on the vt kids, deleted by the time I posted it....I'll post it again later.