It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chapel Hill's 54 Fake Classes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/08/ ... ostly.html

:snooty: :naughty: :liar: Wow, I guess I was right all along, but its not like they got the death penalty (like they should've, how much worse could you smear your academic name, and boy these folks have traditionally loved to thumb their nose to anyone about that.)

Quote:
There’s another wrinkle to all this. Nyang’oro, the former chairman of the African and Afro-American Studies department where all these courses were listed, did not get paid for 29 of these suspect summer classes. Typically, professors are paid per class because the work is considered beyond their normal nine-month work year.

Willis Brooks and Jay Smith, two UNC-CH history professors who are concerned about the case’s impact on the university’s academic integrity, said the enrollment and pay data suggest Nyang’oro had set up a system for athletes to get into classes they could pass.
“The only logic I can conjure is (Nyang’oro) was protecting seats,” said Brooks, a professor emeritus who served on the faculty athletic committee in the early 1990s. “And since the preponderance of people who took the seats are athletes, there is circumstantial evidence,” he said.

University officials, however, say the one-student maximum was not uncommon at the time and is not direct evidence of a scheme to protect seats in the no-show classes for athletes. That’s because a few of the classes – all with less than 10 students – did not have an athlete in them, while others with much larger class sizes also had sizeable numbers of athletes.
All told, 54 courses are considered suspect; all but nine had Nyang’oro as instructor or signer of the grade rolls.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/08/ ... rylink=cpy

Post subject: Re: Chapel Hill's 54 Fake Classes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- You gotta be kidding me on the bolded part...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/12/ ... -ncaa.html

The NCAA and UNC-Chapel Hill spent countless hours investigating the improper money, perks and tutoring football players received, eventually levying sanctions that will cost the team a bowl opportunity and athletic scholarships.

But there’s little indication the NCAA is investigating another scandal that arguably paints a much darker picture: dozens of bogus classes largely attended by athletes that were offered by the longtime chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

The NCAA has said practically nothing about the academic fraud. UNC-CH officials have said it does not constitute an NCAA violation because nonathletes also had been enrolled in the bogus classes and were not treated differently. They have consistently said the bogus classes were not hatched to keep athletes eligible to play.

If so, two academic officials who have served on NCAA committees say the fraud may not fall under the association’s purview.
“One would have to decide that there was special treatment afforded to student-athletes in order to find that there’s a violation,” said Josephine Potuto, a former chairwoman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions. “There are ways to do it. But it’s not easy. You can’t do it simply by saying, ‘Hey, there are a lot of student-athletes in this class, and everybody got an A.’ That’s not going to get you there.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/12/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The NCAA is such a joke. While wondering whether or not they should punish Penn State, they let stuff like this slide.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The main problem with the ncaa is they are severly understaffed, and I mean like they have 15-20 human beings doing ALL the work on these things. Its why they can't catch the Auburns of the world, b/c those people cheat smartly (the Sabans get out of the way of the heavy hitter boosters, the boosters know what to do, that way a Saban can always deny knowing anything), cover there tracks REALLY well and dare you to spurn such practices.

Well if you consider the odds, they take it in SEC country as a very calculated risk. Penalties are a joke, money and rewards are EPIC. I dont' think too many question whether Cecil Newton got 200k, but when the evidence chain breaks, investigation is over. Let alone to reiterate theirs not enough "cops" for the amount of ncaa teams, even in football with only 110ish. Its why college bball is polluted with AAU factors, b/c how are you gonna track 300 teams, even if only maybe the top 50 dip their toes into the AAU cesspool.

Mark my words, 7v7 high school football circuit/tourneys are turning into AAU for football, which means "handlers' are not getting involved with football players, like they've been doing with bball kids. Which means you've usually got dirty dudes looking for money, and no interest in whats in the kids best interest. Its not hard to trick 17 year old kids, when they're this fawned over. The ncaa should STOMP on this yesterday, but with what troops?

With UNC, I honestly think other than no staff and actual TEETH, its also b/c NOBODY gives a s*** aobut Chapill Hill football.

BUT, why did Ohio State get to literally let Meyer dual coach, JUST to recruit, while they were on probation (from like less than a year before)? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? So naturally with a months head start (when have you ever heard somebody getting that exception?), he pulled in a top 10 class to OSU.

And you wonder why at some point the big football schools may take they're money elsewhere, and police themselves. The Frank Beamers of the world have got to be fed up with this crap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Naturally... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:. What a joke on the last sentence... :hand: !

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... lege-again

"To me, past and previous experiences have an awful lot to say about what you've done," he said. "I would like to think that people would look at the successes and the things we did with the program at Miami. I am regretful that things got out of hand here. I wish that I would've been able to have prevented it."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:28 pm 

Why wouldn't a mid-level school hire Butch Davis? Think about it, how much does UNC stand to lose because of the shenanigans going on there? How much of a dip did USC take in its coffers due to the sanctions placed under Lane Kiffin?

These new TV deals make it so that there is no real downside to hiring a coach like Davis who may bring NCAA sanctions at some point in the future?

For example, if you're Maryland, South Florida, or ECU, why wouldn't you hire someone like Butch Davis? Sure, there is going to be a stigma. But if he cheats, but with the millions that he can bring in to take you from a 6-6 team to an 8-4 team, plus the money you make from these TV deals, that's more than enough money to bypass any such stigma.

And a big reason for this is because the NCAA is a joke. You self-sanction after he gets caught cheating, you get a 3-year bowl ban, lose a couple of scholarships, but thanks to ESPN and the revenue-sharing from the new playoff format, you still keep raking in the money. The NCAA has no bite. There is no real incentive for being clean, or deterrent for being dirty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
And a big reason for this is because the NCAA is a joke. You self-sanction after he gets caught cheating, you get a 3-year bowl ban, lose a couple of scholarships, but thanks to ESPN and the revenue-sharing from the new playoff format, you still keep raking in the money. The NCAA has no bite. There is no real incentive for being clean, or deterrent for being dirty.

Yeah this is the reality. And based on conferences having no correlation anymore to geography, plus tv money, its prob never coming back. The only thing I could see is the self regulation thing (leaving the ncaa), but why would any team in the SEC want the rules to get cleaned up??

Quote:
Why wouldn't a mid-level school hire Butch Davis? Think about it, how much does UNC stand to lose because of the shenanigans going on there? How much of a dip did USC take in its coffers due to the sanctions placed under Lane Kiffin?

Academics, integrity...things that used to matter. Dude is a blatant cheater, but an even better track coverer. Really he let all those unc folks fall on the sword, that he propped up first. Plus, bottom line, he recuits awesome, coaches awful. AWFUL. Think how much talent they had drafted recently, and what, for 7 win seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
Think how much talent they had drafted recently, and what, for 7 win seasons.

But think about how many schools would relish being a consistent 7-win team. If you could guarantee 7.6 wins per season over a 5-year period if you're ECU, wouldn't you take that? And then after Butch has got the program up, you can go out and hire Mike Gundy that will take you to 10-2 and put you in the national conversation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Maybe I'm spoiled, prob am, but 7 wins doesn't do much for me. I understand everything is relative, but dude is a cesspool. Not worth it imho, as there are plenty of talented people who deserve a shot, recruit well and won't cheat. Plus the Gundy's are taking backward steps to go to a mid major program. Its usually much smarter to find the next great coordinator imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm 

I think you are spoiled. Of course, you can go out and hire a different coach without all of the baggage from Davis and potentially become a perennial bowl team. But my point is that the incentive for doing things the "right way" is minimal. College football has increasingly become about generating revenue. And when it comes to hiring a "scumbag coach," but at the end of the day if all that really matters is generating revenue, there is no strong reason not to hire a scumbag coach.

In an ideal world, you'll go out and find a Larry Fedora, Butch Jones, or Mario Cristobal or the next Bobby Petrino or whoever that is the up and coming coach that will bring your program up. But I also wouldn't close the door on hiring a coach like Butch Davis, because for the football equivalent of a mid-major program I think the benefits as far as revenue/relevance outweigh the costs of any potential sanctions by the NCAA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well I'm in a weird place with CFB. Would do some bad, bad things for the Hokies to win a MNC. 8 consecutive 10 win seasons, primes you to focus on that final step. We've been around the chicken coop since MV1. I still think we might have had one if MV1 didn't hurt his ankle in the Miami game his sophomore year. He damn near beat one of the best college football D's I've ever seen single handedly the year before. If LT stays beyond this year, with the D we've rebuilt to suffication mode (been DYING for this to return) that is loaded for bore the next two years, 2013 is a possibility. Of course we open with Bama, so that either catapults you the rest of the season, or kills you on square 1. With the two D's, the score could literally be 6-3.

Side note, saw Pitt is paying like SU to get to acc next year, smart move I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... eport-says
:snooty: